VOGONS

First post, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Years ago I saw a youtube, that I can no longer find, where someone was reviewing a card that could do really good clear CD quality sound for samples on trackers. I was hoping to find this card to use with creation of my own music. The care in question only did this under a classic windows environment, not under DOS if that helps with the clues. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

TW

Reply 1 of 2, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a few different cards, although to be honest any card can do software mixing at CD quality on a machine faster than a 486. I have a TerraTec EWS64S which can be used with MOD4WIN for hardware based playback using the Dream 9407 chip. There's something satisfying about knowing it's all being done in hardware.

Reply 2 of 2, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It has been a long time since I made music on classic hardware. I was very active in the mid 90's but coming back to the now classic PC hobby wanted to start dabbling with it again. I want to say the card I had was a crystal chip set. Back then I wasn't really knowledgeable about hardware (even now it is more of a new obsession than a good knowledge). Some of it is now easy to afford, some has become expensive again due to collecting. I see those Terratec Promedia AudioSystem EWS64 S ISA on eBay for about $145. Anything in a better price range?

Thanks in advance.
TW