VOGONS

First post, by cudatox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed that there were quite a few used HP ML370 G1 Slot 1 CPU upgrade kits for sale at used hardware vendors and eventually ended up purchasing one. However, these CPUs don't come with a fan attached to their heatsink. I had initially intended to simply zip tie a case fan to it to give it some airflow, but later decided to design something a little nicer: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4628705

GL370-Clip.jpg
Filename
GL370-Clip.jpg
File size
124.57 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This clip makes it possible to attach a standard 80mm case fan to the stock heatsink. I don't know if this will end up being useful to anyone but, there are still quite a few of the CPU kits for sale at a few different vendors.

Reply 2 of 3, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might want to consider print orientation for more strength in the retaining clips ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by cudatox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-10-20, 06:03:

You might want to consider print orientation for more strength in the retaining clips ..

I did consider the print orientation, but I really didn't want to have to split it up into pieces or try to print it vertically. The locking tabs are still fairly strong when printed in PETG and can be flexed well beyond the distance they would need to flex to fit over the heatsink without breaking.

I suppose you could try to print it vertically or split it up if you were really worried, though. The OpenSCAD files are included in the Thingiverse post, so you can definitely try splitting it up that way.

Error 0x7CF wrote on 2020-10-20, 04:49:

Damn! I think my Athlon 1000 had one of these coolers, I wish you'd done this before I replaced the cooler. It would probably cool better your way.

The big advantage for me is that it's far quieter, the old CPU had an CoolerMaster cooler with a 50mm fan on it that was super loud. Unfortunately, I don't really have much to compare the cooling performance with, but I can tell you that this chip Idles at 2-3C above room temperature and maxes out at around 45C with this setup.