VOGONS

My Pentium III build

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 54, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really like the wallpaper. Very 90s 😁. Can I download it from somewhere?

Nice videos btw, you really pay attention to the lighting of everything. Do you do something with photography or film for work?

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 41 of 54, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HandOfFate wrote on 2020-09-03, 13:28:

I really like the wallpaper. Very 90s 😁. Can I download it from somewhere?

Nice videos btw, you really pay attention to the lighting of everything. Do you do something with photography or film for work?

Thanks! These are just sketches, I´m not happy with them at all yet. I´ll set them up for download when they´re ready.

Photography has been my passionate hobby for almost ten years and I´ve basically advanced to a professional level, mainly because I tend to let things get out of hand 😁 But aside of a few paid photo shoots, I don´t do it for living and I don´t want to. I started making videos because I wanted to film my retro projects, and due to my photo-hobby I also had the knowledge and necessary gear to cover the basics. I just had to buy a mic and a light.

Reply 42 of 54, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
khyypio wrote on 2020-09-03, 13:03:
Sketching custom wallpapers and splash screens... 1_startup.jpg 2_wallpaper.jpg 3_shutdown.jpg […]
Show full quote

Sketching custom wallpapers and splash screens...
1_startup.jpg
2_wallpaper.jpg
3_shutdown.jpg

These look nice 😀

I once made a (cheap mspaint) splash screen for WinME. All white with black letters saying "DOS 8.0" and below it in smaller font "Going further..." or something which was also half meant as a joke as WinME had had lots of complaints about its relatively poor DOS compatibility relative to its older siblings of the 9x family.

Btw, also watched your video on the card upgrade and those Zalman GPU HSFs always looked very nice! I have one with a blue heatsink iirc?
Good thing you cleaned the card. It didn't look very dirty though, but I always clean at the very least the heatsinks (along with new TIM). I would have kept the sticker on though as I kinda see it as part of the history of that card yes I know this may seem strange to some.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 43 of 54, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2020-09-11, 11:41:
These look nice :) […]
Show full quote
Sketching custom wallpapers and splash screens... 1_startup.jpg 2_wallpaper.jpg 3_shutdown.jpg […]
Show full quote

1_startup.jpg
2_wallpaper.jpg
3_shutdown.jpg

These look nice 😀

I once made a (cheap mspaint) splash screen for WinME. All white with black letters saying "DOS 8.0" and below it in smaller font "Going further..." or something which was also half meant as a joke as WinME had had lots of complaints about its relatively poor DOS compatibility relative to its older siblings of the 9x family.

Btw, also watched your video on the card upgrade and those Zalman GPU HSFs always looked very nice! I have one with a blue heatsink iirc?
Good thing you cleaned the card. It didn't look very dirty though, but I always clean at the very least the heatsinks (along with new TIM). I would have kept the sticker on though as I kinda see it as part of the history of that card yes I know this may seem strange to some.

Thanks! Yeah, the card didn´t look dirty in the video but there was some dirt and grime on it. Besides, I like how these parts smell brand new after thoroughly cleaned 😁 I only leave the stickers on if they are still properly attached, otherwise they are nothing but litter for me and I don´t want to leave litter inside my builds 😀

Reply 44 of 54, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another upgrade on the way, I try to get a video published soon 😀

IMG_20201020_183349_01_01.JPG
Filename
IMG_20201020_183349_01_01.JPG
File size
368.07 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 48 of 54, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

1_startup.jpg
2_wallpaper.jpg
3_shutdown.jpg

That wallpaper is glorious!

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 49 of 54, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Munx wrote on 2021-02-02, 20:18:
Show full quote

1_startup.jpg
2_wallpaper.jpg
3_shutdown.jpg

That wallpaper is glorious!

Thanks! 😀

Reply 50 of 54, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great job on replacing the motherboard capacitors..... what did you use to unsolder them with?

Figure, if and when i t came time for me to do the same with my motherboards and/or video cards, this unsoldering gun seems top notch, albeit expensive, but highly worth it from the YT videos i've seen.

Link - https://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fr301.html

YT Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJC11rF0c8

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 51 of 54, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bige4u wrote on 2021-05-31, 14:25:
Great job on replacing the motherboard capacitors..... what did you use to unsolder them with? […]
Show full quote

Great job on replacing the motherboard capacitors..... what did you use to unsolder them with?

Figure, if and when i t came time for me to do the same with my motherboards and/or video cards, this unsoldering gun seems top notch, albeit expensive, but highly worth it from the YT videos i've seen.

Link - https://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fr301.html

YT Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJC11rF0c8

Thanks! I´ve been using simply just flux and copper wick so far, but I think I´ll get one those solder guns eventually.

Reply 52 of 54, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An audio upgrade for my retro build. Original multimedia speakers from FujitsuSiemens. New 3" full-range drivers from Peerless, amplifier is SMSL Q5 Pro and soundcard is Sound Blaster Audigy SB0090

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
138.02 KiB
Views
File license
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
261.79 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_20210514_192837.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210514_192837.jpg
File size
660.4 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_20210708_200008.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210708_200008.jpg
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File license
setup.jpg
Filename
setup.jpg
File size
126.61 KiB
Views
File license

Here´s a video:
https://youtu.be/VeVgns9m2YI

Reply 53 of 54, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, I've got a pair of old creative speakers I'm want to give the same upgrade so will pinch some of your ideas 😉