VOGONS

Common searches

My youtube channel: Necroware

Topic actions

First post, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I was pointed out, that my channel could be interesting for broader audience in the retro community, but is unknown for the most people. I like to tinker around with a hardware which meant to be dead and talk about repairing and getting the retro hardware running. In case someone is interested, you are welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKU5nwSWYXa3xfXGBlKyvdw

My Youtube channel Necroware

Reply 3 of 57, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice channel!

I just watched your 486 rebuild video and noticed that you set it up as an FTP server for easy file access. This seems very useful, can you explain this process in a bit more detail? Maybe in a new video?

Also, did you ever find out what happened to that SB16?

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 57, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-08-02, 18:00:

Nice channel!

I just watched your 486 rebuild video and noticed that you set it up as an FTP server for easy file access. This seems very useful, can you explain this process in a bit more detail? Maybe in a new video?

Also, did you ever find out what happened to that SB16?

Thank you. Ok, I'll do a video about FTP server. In regards to SB16 I didn't have time yet to investigate..... unfortunately. I actually have now two SB16 with same symptoms, I'll need to dive into it.....

Reply 5 of 57, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice!

Do you think you could also do a video about replacing the capacitors on an old sound card? This seems to be an issue that occurs fairly often and causes excessive noise even when using line out.

I would like to try this on my OPTi 82C930 some day, but I don't think my skills are up to the task at the moment.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 6 of 57, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-08-02, 18:52:

Nice!

Do you think you could also do a video about replacing the capacitors on an old sound card? This seems to be an issue that occurs fairly often and causes excessive noise even when using line out.

I would like to try this on my OPTi 82C930 some day, but I don't think my skills are up to the task at the moment.

You mean the SB16? I guess, I will have to go through the card with an oscilloscope first and see, if I can find something suspicious. I started already to make some measurements, but it is quite a time consuming task. However, if it's a capacitor, it would be nice to know which one exactly can produce such a behavior. This could help the other people to fix their cards.... don't know yet, if I'll come out with a solution though.... we'll see.

Reply 7 of 57, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I meant more in general, since a lot of these old sound cards have failing capacitors, and it would be great to have a tutorial video on how to properly replace them.

Reply 8 of 57, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-08-02, 20:51:

I meant more in general, since a lot of these old sound cards have failing capacitors, and it would be great to have a tutorial video on how to properly replace them.

Ok, I'll keep this in mind.

Reply 9 of 57, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just wanted to say, that I posted a video about CMS reverse engineering work for SB2.0, which was made 1,5 years ago and reported here on vogons. I wanted to make a video about it for a long time, but never have had time for that. Anyway, now it's done and if you are interested in details, feel free to watch it. Furthermore, I made an appeal on the community in that video to remind everybody why we all are here. Just in case, I don't want to insult or blame somebody personally, I'm talking about the community in the whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLBTt2mYMvA&t=335s

Reply 15 of 57, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Subscribed. Your content looks good. Clear audio, clear well lit video, good voice, good b-roll footage, good use of graphical representations. This should give me another nice source of content to watch in the evenings. Thanks.

I'm your 500th subscriber. 😁

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 16 of 57, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-10-22, 15:47:

Subscribed. Your content looks good. Clear audio, clear well lit video, good voice, good b-roll footage, good use of graphical representations. This should give me another nice source of content to watch in the evenings. Thanks.

I'm your 500th subscriber. 😁

Clear feedback, good 500th subscriber 😉

Thank you very much for the feedback! I'm still not quite happy with the quality of my content, but I'm trying to improve.

Reply 17 of 57, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I enjoyed the laptop refurb videos. Reminded me of what I did to my Thinkpad R50e. 😀

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 18 of 57, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
texterted wrote on 2020-10-22, 16:52:

I enjoyed the laptop refurb videos. Reminded me of what I did to my Thinkpad R50e. 😀

This was actually not the usual content on my channel, I usually do more retro stuff, but this project was also a lot of fun. I actually still use this laptop in my workshop. It has a good keyboard and it acts as a library for documentation and datasheets as well as a software repository.

Reply 19 of 57, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just for fun I made another Covox Speech Thing clone - Silly Sound Bastard. You can find the video on my Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/DKLKtH_rQJU
The project is open source, you can find it here: https://github.com/fandjelo/silly-sound-bastard

photo.jpg?raw=true