VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 95/98 games you never get tired of?

Topic actions

Reply 23 of 71, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Muz wrote on 2020-10-20, 17:33:

Which 95/98 games you constantly play and never get tired of it? For me its:

- Deadly Tide
- Warcraft 2

The Command & Conquer series
Half-Life
Doom + mods
System Shock 2

Reply 24 of 71, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2020-10-21, 10:22:

What are peoples thoughts on Doom95? I still mainly play the vanilla dos version but fired up the Win95 version earlier this week and quite liked the better resolution.
On the one hand its a legit retro release, on the other i felt if I'm doing this may as well just play on a more modern port.

If you've played Doom 2 on it, you'll notice:

- the Windows FM OPL timbres makes a lot of music sound odd (though some generations growing up on this version first are most familiar with the MS GS Synth'd music going through XP on the Collector's Edition releases)
- the higher frequency sounds (SSG reload, respawns, etc) are played at a much lower rate
- sounds are generally played at a lower rate
- The aspect of the world and art is not corrected for 320x240/640x480
- the weapon sprite's scaling is pretty bad
- newer OSes hate the way it handles mouse input
- "Hanger"

also Hexen95 has these same issues, plus their launcher has a crash on Win98+!!! But overall it's more of an early, EARLY flagship DirectX port that had been in the works since mid-1994 in its earlier WinDOOM incarnation (which back then, was an early Win32s/WinG thing).
Probably the biggest feature benefit of the '95' ports is the DirectPlay networking.

(there was no Strife95 or Heretic95, though...it would be fun if one took SDL1 Chocolate and reverse the D95isms to it to theorize such ports)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 26 of 71, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Panzer General 2 - my all time favorite game - with custom files and equipment made by me.
Diablo 1/Hellfire/Diablo 2
Age of empires 2
Undying
Starcraft broodwar
Tank racer
NFS Hot pursuit1/2/High stakes/Porsche

Reply 29 of 71, by Gentlepoke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2020-10-22, 02:31:
If you've played Doom 2 on it, you'll notice: […]
Show full quote
chinny22 wrote on 2020-10-21, 10:22:

What are peoples thoughts on Doom95? I still mainly play the vanilla dos version but fired up the Win95 version earlier this week and quite liked the better resolution.
On the one hand its a legit retro release, on the other i felt if I'm doing this may as well just play on a more modern port.

If you've played Doom 2 on it, you'll notice:

- the Windows FM OPL timbres makes a lot of music sound odd (though some generations growing up on this version first are most familiar with the MS GS Synth'd music going through XP on the Collector's Edition releases)
- the higher frequency sounds (SSG reload, respawns, etc) are played at a much lower rate
- sounds are generally played at a lower rate
- The aspect of the world and art is not corrected for 320x240/640x480
- the weapon sprite's scaling is pretty bad
- newer OSes hate the way it handles mouse input
- "Hanger"

also Hexen95 has these same issues, plus their launcher has a crash on Win98+!!! But overall it's more of an early, EARLY flagship DirectX port that had been in the works since mid-1994 in its earlier WinDOOM incarnation (which back then, was an early Win32s/WinG thing).
Probably the biggest feature benefit of the '95' ports is the DirectPlay networking.

(there was no Strife95 or Heretic95, though...it would be fun if one took SDL1 Chocolate and reverse the D95isms to it to theorize such ports)

But on the positive side, you get to play the source port as recommended by Bill Gates himself, so I think that makes it even.

Reply 31 of 71, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gentlepoke wrote on 2020-10-22, 17:19:

But on the positive side, you get to play the source port as recommended by Bill Gates himself, so I think that makes it even.

It's less of a recommendation and more of a "doom is on windows...THERE now dos is dead!!!! windows can games!!! buy windows!"

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 33 of 71, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Star wars Rogue Squadron 3D
Quake w/ darkplaces mod & reforged textures packs
Quake 2
Front Page Sports Football Pro 98

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 34 of 71, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gca wrote on 2020-10-23, 12:44:

Starcraft/Broodwar

I'm so lame that I only started playing it on Vista. Now 10 years later and on Windows 7 I'm still stuck half-way through the Brood War campaign...

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 35 of 71, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Civ II
nascar 1/2
diablo
RA, both win95 and dos versions. wish the resolution on the videos was better in win95 but no dice.
simcity
Grand prix legends
a bunch of older ones but im sticking to played in win9x.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 36 of 71, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2020-10-23, 16:16:
gca wrote on 2020-10-23, 12:44:

Starcraft/Broodwar

I'm so lame that I only started playing it on Vista. Now 10 years later and on Windows 7 I'm still stuck half-way through the Brood War campaign...

Just wait until you hit Omega (very last level in Broodwar) then the struggle really begins. Took me an age to get through that one.

Reply 38 of 71, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Streets of sim city, age of empires 1 and 2 with expansions, command and Conquer series, sim city 2k and 3k, gruntz. I've also been playing through all the magic school bus games with my 5 year old son.