VOGONS

First post, by karl80038

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While downloading an .msi installation package of Chrome, I decided to peek at the release notes and while scrolling in the upcoming section, I noticed that starting with the version 89, Google might be ditching their support for SSE2 processors. In addition, MacOS 10.10 will no longer be supported starting with the version 88. Surprisingly they will continue to support 10.11, unlike Mozilla, which discontinued the support for operating systems after version 78. This reminds me a bit of 2014 when Google decided to drop the SSE2 support and that happened right around when Microsoft ended their support for Windows XP. Now granted, the plans might change, as stated at the start of the section: "Note: The items listed below are experimental or planned updates. They might be changed, delayed, or canceled before launching to the Stable channel."
I doubt there are that many users out there who use single-core CPUs, let alone ones with no SSE3 support. Still, since the topic relates with the General Old Hardware category, I thought I'd mention it. As of now, Mozilla will continue to support the SS2 architecture, so going forward, Firefox might be a good alternative for those who would like to use a supported browser on their SSE2-based systems. I do wonder how many users here are actively using Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 64 machines for modern web browsing?

Reply 1 of 4, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That would affect only P4 Northwood,130nm Athlon 64 (90nm CPUs on S754 are SSE3 ready) users and those few masochists who would want to use Willamette for browsing.

P.S.
Wake me up when Core 2 Conroe and Phenom II will stop being supported.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 4, by karl80038

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think they'll get to Core 2 Duos in the near future, but who knows. The Willamette CPUs will be 20 years old next month, so the fans of on those processors can celebrate the anniversary with Windows 7 and the latest Google Chrome installed!

Reply 3 of 4, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They could quickly ditch SSE3 to SSE4, which is already happening in games.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 4, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Dimension 8100 came to me with a Willamette CPU and Windows 7 installed. I immediately put XP on. It was unusably slow, though fully functional.

Is this too much voodoo?