VOGONS

First post, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,
I have another question that make me mad in my system.
I have a Pentium 3 Coppermine Socket 370 system with a nice ASUS CUV266 motherboard and AGP PRO slot.

I have a great Radeon 9800PRO that is working there, but when I go to EVEREST home edition, or CPU-z or SMARTGART, they all say that I have my AGP bus set on 1x. It's obviously a big bottleneck with a video card so powerful.

How can I fix this thing?

From bios I have set the AGP to 4x (the maximum available) and Fast Writes ON.

But when I boot always tell me that I have 1x AGP port.

If I boot from Windows XP (the other hard disk) the AGP port is correctly set to 4x.

Please help me, I want to solve that quest.

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 1 of 7, by BigDaddyM

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try to install an older version of the via4in1 drivers. I have the same under Windows98 SE but under WindowsXP AGP speed is always right. I noticed that for some cards, different drivers can set higher AGP speed.

Reply 2 of 7, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BigDaddyM wrote on 2020-10-26, 19:33:

Try to install an older version of the via4in1 drivers. I have the same under Windows98 SE but under WindowsXP AGP speed is always right. I noticed that for some cards, different drivers can set higher AGP speed.

Thanks, I will try that. I am now installing various ATi Driver Video version. I had 6.2 an probably for Windows 98 and a Pentium 3 they are not the exactly "light".

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 3 of 7, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BigDaddyM wrote on 2020-10-26, 19:33:

Ok ,thanks.
Like Phils say in his site, I installed the Via 4in1 driver ver 4.35V and while installing them I selected the options "Install AGP VxD drivers in Turbo mode" and now SmartGart see the AGP set to 4x. I am happy I resolved the issue. I hope other people can see this thread and fix them too.

Love beer, too.

Reply 4 of 7, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice one. Has it made a big performance difference?

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 6 of 7, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
texterted wrote on 2020-10-26, 21:45:

Nice one. Has it made a big performance difference?

Hey, sorry I wasn't follow this thread anymore, my fault.
Yes, I can see the differences in 3dmark various benchmark results, in game not so much.

Anyway yes, the card and the system is pretty stable, no problems at all.

I am now testing in this system (meanwhile I set a dual boot of Windows 98se and Windows Xp) two other great videocards... Nvidia Geforce 4 4600ti and the great Nvidia Fx5900xt.

I will let you know if something changes.

Love beer, too.

Reply 7 of 7, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good to hear, I swap out hardware like I change my socks! 😁

The 45.23's work well in 98se with my 4400Ti.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.