VOGONS

Rendition Verite Thread

Topic actions

Reply 500 of 652, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’m not sure how I missed this guys. Vquake has a -nodma flag you can set when starting. Based on RDMATest showing my DMA throughout being lower than FIFO I thought I would try it.

Picked up about 3fps!

I bet this would of solved my freezing issue as well. I’ll have to set that test back up and report back.

Attachments

Reply 502 of 652, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Switched to a UMC based socket 3 board that appears to handle DMA much better than SiS. Hitting 35.9 FPS on my POD100!

New question, is there a anyway to fix the dismal Doom and general poor DOS 2d performance on these cards?

Attachments

Reply 503 of 652, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Chadti99 wrote on 2020-09-06, 20:57:

New question, is there a anyway to fix the dismal Doom and general poor DOS 2d performance on these cards?

I would look for a Dos Doom port that supports other resolutions- I recall MFB supports 640x400, Renutil might work with that.

The real issue would be for less popular games stuck on Mode X.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 504 of 652, by Ligend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings Rendition Verite fans! I'm looking for a tech demo called Mirage, created by team Bacchus in 1998 to demonstrate the capabilities of Verite. Back then it was freely available for download (https://web.archive.org/web/19990203115358/ht … on.com/new.html), but I cannot find it anywhere.

Maybe someone here have a copy of it and would be willing to share?

Reply 505 of 652, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ligend wrote on 2020-10-01, 15:27:

Greetings Rendition Verite fans! I'm looking for a tech demo called Mirage, created by team Bacchus in 1998 to demonstrate the capabilities of Verite. Back then it was freely available for download (https://web.archive.org/web/19990203115358/ht … on.com/new.html), but I cannot find it anywhere.

Maybe someone here have a copy of it and would be willing to share?

Their website is still up, so maybe you could contact them and ask:
http://www.bacchus.com/contact

mirage-v2-demo.zip
Size: 1.82MB

Download was at:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010717113706/ht … mos/Verite.html

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 506 of 652, by Ligend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the same old download request page and also tried to send a mail, but no success. My message rejected with "Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table", so that's why I'm trying to find an alternative way to get this demo, if possible.

Reply 507 of 652, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ligend wrote on 2020-10-01, 20:01:

I found the same old download request page and also tried to send a mail, but no success. My message rejected with "Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table", so that's why I'm trying to find an alternative way to get this demo, if possible.

Crazy Idea 1: contact the admin email address listed in WHOIS.
Crazy Idea 2: Or, you know, the telephone number on the Bacchus.com contact page. Or send snailmail to the address on the Bacchus.com contact page.

Anyhow, actually, I think I got this taken care of. Lemme see...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 508 of 652, by Ligend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2020-10-02, 17:38:
Crazy Idea 1: contact the admin email address listed in WHOIS. Crazy Idea 2: Or, you know, the telephone number on the Bacchus.c […]
Show full quote

Crazy Idea 2: Or, you know, the telephone number on the Bacchus.com contact page. Or send snailmail to the address on the Bacchus.com contact page.

Quick update:
Found a person on LinkedIn who mentioned Bacchus Inc in his About section, as a former owner. Made some research and got his current email address, so now I'm trying to contact him. Cross your fingers! 😀

Reply 509 of 652, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ligend wrote on 2020-10-02, 18:37:
Stiletto wrote on 2020-10-02, 17:38:
Crazy Idea 1: contact the admin email address listed in WHOIS. Crazy Idea 2: Or, you know, the telephone number on the Bacchus.c […]
Show full quote

Quick update:
Found a person on LinkedIn who mentioned Bacchus Inc in his About section, as a former owner. Made some research and got his current email address, so now I'm trying to contact him. Cross your fingers! 😀

Oh drat, I thought you would have picked up from context that I was doing something like that.

From Eric:

Unfortunately, that demo is no longer available. We had a video of the demo as well, but, I could not locate that either.
Thanks for the interest.

I think you'll have to go about it the other way, and try to find people who may have downloaded it BITD.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 510 of 652, by Ligend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2020-10-02, 20:42:

From Eric:

Unfortunately, that demo is no longer available. We had a video of the demo as well, but, I could not locate that either.
Thanks for the interest.

I think you'll have to go about it the other way, and try to find people who may have downloaded it BITD.

Thank you for sharing his answer and all your effort to find the author of that demo.

Finding anyone who downloaded it 22 years ago, without any clue, seems almost impossible for me, so I'm just hoping someone who has it will read this thread and contact us.

Reply 511 of 652, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dont know maybe it needed to some one
https://www.infania.net/misc/moboarchive/Qdi% … ls/filelist.txt

https://www.infania.net/misc/moboarchive/Qdi% … als/vision1.zip
https://www.infania.net/misc/moboarchive/Qdi% … uals/rv2000.zip

QDI Product Information -- User's manual

for

QDI Vision-1 and QDI R2000/RV2000

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 512 of 652, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So is this really all the difference in visuals vQuake has?

quake (left) vs vquake (right) 1.png
Filename
quake (left) vs vquake (right) 1.png
File size
838.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
quake (left) vs vquake (right) 2.png
Filename
quake (left) vs vquake (right) 2.png
File size
852.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Don't get me wrong, I do feel the speed increase when running the Verite version and it certainly made the game playable and more enjoyable in resolutions that it wasn't possible back then with a P75-133. I was just expecting more difference in the appearance, like for example in Indy Car II which is transformed it into a whole new experience. Maybe Quake is a bad example/too good software rendering for the Verite to add something except speed? Or since this is my first experiments with a 3D accelerators of the era other than glide I was expecting a totally different look like the voodoo cards offer -not necessarily better, just different? You could tell by just looking at the screen which version was running, in vQuake I initially thought that I messed the screenshots and grabbed twice the same thing.

Reply 513 of 652, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I kind of like that the vQuake stays faithful to the original look of the game. GLQuake is quite different, and its visuals may not be to everyone's liking.

On that note, I recently found this Tomb Raider: Verite vs. Voodoo comparison video. The lighting and colors look much more vibrant on the Verite. I also like that the it has that turquoise water effect, just like the PlayStation version. All the other 3D cards of the era use a plain, blue shade for the water effect. Kinda makes me want to hunt down one of those Verite cards too.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 514 of 652, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-10-27, 15:35:

I kind of like that the vQuake stays faithful to the original look of the game. GLQuake is quite different, and its visuals may not be to everyone's liking.

On that note, I recently found this Tomb Raider: Verite vs. Voodoo comparison video. The lighting and colors look much more vibrant on the Verite. I also like that the it has that turquoise water effect, just like the PlayStation version. All the other 3D cards of the era use a plain, blue shade for the water effect. Kinda makes me want to hunt down one of those Verite cards too.

I think the Voodoo card used in the capture has a weaker VGA output signal which makes it appear to be more washed out. Also the default gamma settings on Voodoo are completely wrong.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 515 of 652, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2020-10-27, 15:40:

I think the Voodoo card used in the capture has a weaker VGA output signal which makes it appear to be more washed out. Also the default gamma settings on Voodoo are completely wrong.

I have a Voodoo 3 and the lighting looks similarly washed out. That's on my CRT monitor, not a capture device.

No Verite to compare it to, but I do have an S3 Virge DX. With the game running in S3D mode, lighting looks better than on the Voodoo.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 516 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote on 2020-10-27, 14:54:

So is this really all the difference in visuals vQuake has?

If you're not aware of it, VQuake is basically a hardware rasterized version of the software renderer. They did this because Verite V1000 wasn't really designed to do z-buffering and takes too big of a speed hit with it. Try running GLQuake on it. 😀 VQuake uses the software renderer's CPU based depth sorting. You can however enable some extras like Verite's high quality anti-aliasing.

Reply 517 of 652, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote on 2020-10-27, 16:46:

If you're not aware of it, VQuake is basically a hardware rasterized version of the software renderer. They did this because Verite V1000 wasn't really designed to do z-buffering and takes too big of a speed hit with it.

Swaaye, not sure if you already noticed this - Stefan Podell, the original developer of vQuake made some comments on your video.

His replies are under leileilol's remarks on water turbulence.

Reply 518 of 652, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote on 2020-10-27, 16:46:

If you're not aware of it, VQuake is basically a hardware rasterized version of the software renderer. They did this because Verite V1000 wasn't really designed to do z-buffering and takes too big of a speed hit with it. Try running GLQuake on it. 😀 VQuake uses the software renderer's CPU based depth sorting. You can however enable some extras like Verite's high quality anti-aliasing.

Ah thanks for the very useful info, that explains it. I knew that for vQuake they weren't doing any z-buffering on the verite and this part remained on the CPU, but not that they actually re-used the software renderer's way. It makes sense of course now that you're saying it. And I guess this is also the reason that there's no significant performance increase when using a V2100/2200 over the V1000.
On this subject I always thought that there isn't any h/w support for z-buffers calculations on the first verite, not that it just isn't fast enough. Like you have to constantly read the status, do the comparison and based on that choose what to write, completely manual.

Reply 519 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-10-27, 16:56:

Swaaye, not sure if you already noticed this - Stefan Podell, the original developer of vQuake made some comments on your video.

His replies are under leileilol's remarks on water turbulence.

Cool. I will have to click the heart button thing for his comment. 😁