VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by Wasteful Instruction

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote on 2020-10-31, 02:12:
Wasteful Instruction wrote on 2020-10-31, 00:46:

Well, I have DirectX 9.0c installed on this build (the latest avaliable for win98se anyway) and I never encountered this issue with the 2041 driver. By blow up what do you mean? I've read about crashes and hangs when trying to play a game the second time in a row after closing it with >DX7.0a ver but nothing about permanent damage, and still, it never happened to me. I've used the 2041 driver with Half-Life, Deus Ex and Incoming for now, maybe other titles are more likely to cause the issue?

No permanent damage. 😁 Yeah some games on the second load may cause some kind of memory corruption I guess, which can manifest initially as a crash of a system service, and then the system freezes. I think I remember seeing it with Wheel of Time, Homeworld, and Elite Force for example.

I found that removing the sound card ended the problems. The solutions I found were stay with DirectX 7.0a or use the Diamond driver / Aureal 2015. DirectX 7.0a covers games through late 2000.

Since you are a moderator I'll ask you this: can the 2041 fix posted above be added to the vogonsdrivers.com sound devices section? I think it could be really useful to other people as well

Reply 22 of 23, by Wasteful Instruction

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZanQuance wrote on 2020-10-31, 14:53:

You have my permission, I don't think it has any side effects when ran, so it should be safe for public use. Put a txt doc with it and copy paste in my Tool usage advice from the prior post.

Thanks again, will definetly do.
EDIT: Apparently I'm not allowed to upload on vogonsdrivers, I guess @swaaye could do it