VOGONS

First post, by lafoxxx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was stupid enough to install latest Beta BIOS from ASUS website, and now cannot flash Custom version (with fixes I need) from x86-secret because it's based on Release version (with lower build and older date) and EZ Flash Utility tells me I need to boot from floppy if I want to flash older BIOS (not an option because my only FDD unit doesn't seem to work).
Tried renaming the ROM file after the program checked it -- but it seems that the file is loaded into RAM before you can flash it.
Are there any other options?

Reply 1 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try uniflash http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19455

It's a fantastic tool that lets you write any ROM file you want with any motherboard you want (as long as it's capable of flashing bioses)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 8, by lafoxxx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Deksor,
Decided to give it a try --

It doesn't work from Windows
OK ---> loaded via AUTOEXEC.BAT
Write 1012tctwkb2.002 (custom BIOS) INCLUDING bootblock (default) ---> Progress-bar filled up with red blocks, with two green areas at around 70-90%, verify failed, repeat y/n? ---> Reboot successful.
Write 1014tc.001 (official version) again INCLUDING bootblock (default) ---> Progress-bar filled up with green blocks, with one red area at around 90%, again verify failed, repeat y/n? Reboot successful.

Was it only Verify stage (no Write was performed)?

Reply 3 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fix the floppy drive issue first! Early windows based flashers were not safe and I had to do it via floppy drive back in the day.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well you need to use uniflash from DOS.
Can't you reboot to MS-DOS mode or something ?
Or use a windows 98 OEM install cd, they boot your pc to MS-DOS 7.1 which is perfectly fine.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
_UV_ wrote on 2020-11-01, 01:34:

For flashing BIOS i use separate bootable HDD with just DOS stripped from 98SE and some DOS based utilities for partitioning, diagnoctics, etc.

Good suggestion ! Was thinking that while reading this. If you do not have a good working floppy or cannot get to a "good" DOS type boot (WinME, XP, Vista, etc do not have it) on an older machine then this is a good alternative.
Win9x you can hit F8 while booting and choose "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" but some OEM installs and tweaked versions do not work that way...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 8, by lafoxxx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a spare floppy drive. Checked diskettes I had -- with same result (most disks were unreadable, only specific one had all files intact) as when using the previous drive. It means the drives themselves (even the old one) were in working condition, and it were my diskettes partially or completely corrupted (though I still could format them and write some specific amount of data -- which even passed subsequent md5 checks).
Created bootable diskette using WinXP (yes, I know) -- it booted.
I decided not to risk and not to copy the flash utility and an image to the diskette (because it might corrupt), so I copied the flashing utility and the firmware image to the HDD, booted from floppy, opened the program on the HDD and flashed my BIOS successfully.
Thanks for help!

Reply 8 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get another set of floppy disks. I like 3M best as long as it is sealed.

Old disks that were sitting too long especially poor quality ones tend to degrade prematurely.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.