VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally sacrificed the 5.25 external bay on my newest PC build as having one limited case options. While I understand that many of my disc-based PC games will require no-CD cracks on Windows 10 regardless I'd like to get a really good quality external drive that preferably has a slot loader or at least not one of those dinky 'plop out' trays that most laptops have.

While everything from Bluray to CD-rom compatibility read/write is what I'm looking for if no such drive existed I would settle for dropping bluray.

Please share suggestions and your experiences.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 4, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe you could get a 5.25" enclosure? Some of them even have eSATA so you don't have introduce a potentially glitchy USB converter into the mix. That way you can put any SATA drive you want into it. Something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32918008368.html

Isn't it silly that these some of these huge ATX cases have no drive bays whatsoever.

Reply 2 of 4, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-11-01, 03:53:

Maybe you could get a 5.25" enclosure? Some of them even have eSATA so you don't have introduce a potentially glitchy USB converter into the mix. That way you can put any SATA drive you want into it. Something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32918008368.html

Isn't it silly that these some of these huge ATX cases have no drive bays whatsoever.

Thanks, I'll check this out and yes it is is although I went with a mid-ATX and am very happy with the size, at least I just hate having no disc drive.

Reply 3 of 4, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In my experience laptop drives made after ~2003 lives much longer than conventional 5.25 models. And slot loader models if that is not SCSI Pioneers even worse, especialy Plextor (i have 3 716 external USB/FW) and all of them scratch discs upon insertion or injecting.