VOGONS

VXD-drivers for Audigy 2 (not ZS!!)

Topic actions

First post, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I've installed Audigy 2 on my Win 98SE-machine, using this install-CD: https://archive.org/details/sound-blaster-aud … lications-discs

But it only installs the WDM-drivers, and I can't switch to VXD in the start mene because there is no such option or program.

What should I DO?

I have the Creative Audigy 2, not ZS.

Kind regards!

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-11-03, 19:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 23, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-02, 16:20:
Hi, I've installed Audigy 2 on my Win 98SE-machine, using this install-CD: https://archive.org/details/sound-blaster-aud … licat […]
Show full quote

Hi,
I've installed Audigy 2 on my Win 98SE-machine, using this install-CD: https://archive.org/details/sound-blaster-aud … lications-discs

But it only installs the WDM-drivers, and I can't switch to VXD in the start mene because there is no such option or program.

What should I DO?

Kind regards!

There are what look to be VXD drivers in \Audio\Drivers\98SE_ME on that CD . I would have imagined the installer would have installed these on Windows 98 SE, but since it seems to have installed those in \Audio\Drivers\WIN2K_XP instead from what you are saying, you will need to install the VXD ones instead manually .

Reply 2 of 23, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-11-02, 16:59:
Hi, I've installed Audigy 2 on my Win 98SE-machine, using this install-CD: https://archive.org/details/sound-blaster-aud … licat […]
Show full quote

Hi,

What should I DO?

Kind regards!

There are what look to be VXD drivers in \Audio\Drivers\98SE_ME on that CD . I would have imagined the installer would have installed these on Windows 98 SE, but since it seems to have installed those in \Audio\Drivers\WIN2K_XP instead from what you are saying, you will need to install the VXD ones instead manually .

Hi, there is no VXD-driver in any of those folders.

Reply 3 of 23, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-02, 17:49:
Show full quote

Hi,

What should I DO?

Kind regards!

I beg to differ . I downloaded the ISO and I see VXD drivers .

vxd_drivers.png
Filename
vxd_drivers.png
File size
76.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

EDIT : Make sure your folder options are set as follows or you will not see system files in folders , including VXD files .

options.png
Filename
options.png
File size
11.67 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by darry on 2020-11-02, 19:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah with my Audigy 2 ZS CD, Setup installs the WDM drivers by default but also installs a program (shortcut in Start Menu) that will switch you to VXD later if you like. The upside with VXD drivers is games tend to work better, the downside is some of the card's features are unavailable such as the equalizer if I remember right. The VXD drivers might be more likely to cause instability too.

Last edited by swaaye on 2020-11-02, 20:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 23, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-11-02, 19:39:
I beg to differ . I downloaded the ISO and I see VXD drivers . vxd_drivers.png […]
Show full quote

vxd_drivers.png

EDIT : Make sure your folder options are set as follows or you will not see system files in folders , including VXD files .
options.png

Thank you !
But I have a problem. I try to install the card manually and it wants to reboot, but it says it's missing a .vxd-file and I refeer to the folder again and it installs and wants ro reboot. But after it's the same issue.

I've unistalled everything that the CD installed before this. Should I install the CD and the WDM drivers, and then do this?

Kind regards!

Reply 6 of 23, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-02, 20:54:
Thank you ! But I have a problem. I try to install the card manually and it wants to reboot, but it says it's missing a .vxd-fil […]
Show full quote
I beg to differ . I downloaded the ISO and I see VXD drivers . vxd_drivers.png […]
Show full quote

vxd_drivers.png

options.png

Thank you !
But I have a problem. I try to install the card manually and it wants to reboot, but it says it's missing a .vxd-file and I refeer to the folder again and it installs and wants ro reboot. But after it's the same issue.

I've unistalled everything that the CD installed before this. Should I install the CD and the WDM drivers, and then do this?

Kind regards!

The VXD drivers should be installable independently of any Creative software on the CD .

I would try installing the software you want from the CD, uninstalling the WDM drivers completely, rebooting and then installing the VXD drivers .

To remove the WDM drivers completely, you will need to removed all the card's device from device manager AND remove the .inf files fro the WDM driver that the installer copied into c:\windows\inf\other and possibly into c:\windows\inf and then reboot . If the WDM drivers are completely gone, the sound card should appear in other devices in device manager if no driver folder is specified upon hardware detection at boot .

Once that is done, you can remove the unknown devices from device manager, refresh or reboot and feed the hardware detection wizard the proper driver path .
If prompted during installation to overwrite newer files, answer yes .

Reply 7 of 23, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-11-02, 22:14:
The VXD drivers should be installable independently of any Creative software on the CD . […]
Show full quote
Thank you ! But I have a problem. I try to install the card manually and it wants to reboot, but it says it's missing a .vxd-fil […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

vxd_drivers.png

options.png

Thank you !

Kind regards!

The VXD drivers should be installable independently of any Creative software on the CD .

I would try installing the software you want from the CD, uninstalling the WDM drivers completely, rebooting and then installing the VXD drivers .

To remove the WDM drivers completely, you will need to removed all the card's device from device manager AND remove the .inf files fro the WDM driver that the installer copied into c:\windows\inf\other and possibly into c:\windows\inf and then reboot . If the WDM drivers are completely gone, the sound card should appear in other devices in device manager if no driver folder is specified upon hardware detection at boot .

Once that is done, you can remove the unknown devices from device manager, refresh or reboot and feed the hardware detection wizard the proper driver path .

Thank you so much, I'll try this!

Reply 8 of 23, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The VXD drivers should be installable independently of any Creative software on the CD . […]
Show full quote
Show full quote
Show full quote

vxd_drivers.png

options.png

Thank you !

Kind regards!

I have one more question, I know it may be a bit of a hassle but: do you know the names of the files I should delete in those folders? Or can I find a list in a txt-file in some of the folders?

Reply 9 of 23, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-02, 22:49:
Show full quote
Show full quote

Thank you !

Kind regards!

I have one more question, I know it may be a bit of a hassle but: do you know the names of the files I should delete in those folders? Or can I find a list in a txt-file in some of the folders?

It's no hassle at all, it's a pleasure to try to help .

Assuming you have changed the options to display system files, as mentioned previously , the following search should return all the inf files that reference Creative Labs PCI devices . As no inf files for such devices were included with Windows 98 SE, anything that this search finds will have been added after the fact during a third party driver installation and can be safely deleted or moved elsewhere, if you want to be extra cautious.

live_inf.png
Filename
live_inf.png
File size
19.68 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 10 of 23, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-11-03, 01:02:
It's no hassle at all, it's a pleasure to try to help . […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Assuming you have changed the options to display system files, as mentioned previously , the following search should return all the inf files that reference Creative Labs PCI devices . As no inf files for such devices were included with Windows 98 SE, anything that this search finds will have been added after the fact during a third party driver installation and can be safely deleted or moved elsewhere, if you want to be extra cautious.

live_inf.png

Thank you so much, I'll try this when I get home. I really appreciate your help.

Reply 11 of 23, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-03, 01:08:
It's no hassle at all, it's a pleasure to try to help . […]
Show full quote

live_inf.png

Thank you so much, I'll try this when I get home. I really appreciate your help.

Best of luck and do let us know how things go .

Reply 12 of 23, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-11-03, 01:13:

live_inf.png

Hi again,
I get some of the .inf-files, and some other .inf-files, as shown in your picture. I've searched for inf-files containing text PCI\VEN_1102.
Should I delete them anyway All of them?

Kind regards!

Reply 13 of 23, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-03, 20:42:
Hi again, I get some of the .inf-files, and some other .inf-files, as shown in your picture. I've searched for inf-files contain […]
Show full quote

Hi again,
I get some of the .inf-files, and some other .inf-files, as shown in your picture. I've searched for inf-files containing text PCI\VEN_1102.

Kind regards!

You can safely delete all of them on a Windows 98 SE machine .

Reply 14 of 23, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-11-03, 20:53:
Hi again, I get some of the .inf-files, and some other .inf-files, as shown in your picture. I've searched for inf-files contain […]
Show full quote

Hi again,

Kind regards!

Hi, I did as you said and it installed the VXD-drivers and then I rebooted, but now I can't get into Windows.
I get an error saying "Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer".

Kind regards!

Reply 15 of 23, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-04, 08:01:
Hi, I did as you said and it installed the VXD-drivers and then I rebooted, but now I can't get into Windows. I get an error say […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Hi again,

Kind regards!

Hi, I did as you said and it installed the VXD-drivers and then I rebooted, but now I can't get into Windows.
I get an error saying "Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer".

Kind regards!

It seems your system does not like the VXD drivers.

You need to boot into safe mode, remove the card from device manager and do the inf erasure procedure again (to completely remove the vxd driver) . After that, you should be able to boot back into Windows normally . The next step is either to go back to the wdm driver or try a different vxd driver .

Do you have any other sound cards installed in that system ? If yes, do any use wdm drivers ? Wdm and vxd drivers running together on a system is a recipe for instability .

EDIT: When you removed the card from device manager, did you remove all the card's devices ? There should be 3 of them, if I remember correctly. If you left one or 2, it could explain the issue .

Reply 16 of 23, by DenkoRetro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-11-04, 08:09:
It seems your system does not like the VXD drivers. […]
Show full quote
Hi, I did as you said and it installed the VXD-drivers and then I rebooted, but now I can't get into Windows. I get an error say […]
Show full quote

Kind regards!

You need to boot into safe mode, remove the card from device manager and do the inf erasure procedure again (to completely remove the vxd driver) . After that, you should be able to boot back into Windows normally . The next step is either to go back to the wdm driver or try a different vxd driver .

Do you have any other sound cards installed in that system ? If yes, do any use wdm drivers ? Wdm and vxd drivers running together on a system is a recipe for instability .

EDIT: When you removed the card from device manager, did you remove all the card's devices ? There should be 3 of them, if I remember correctly. If you left one or 2, it could explain the issue .

Hmm, I only found 2 named something like Creative (WDM).

Well, it kind of works now.. but when moving my cursor when playing Midi-files like Canyon.mid it starts to do crackling noises, and stops when I don't move the mouse and plays fine.
Also I get a wierd static noise from the speakers when I move the cursor without any music playing.
Maybe the soundcard is busted?

I also get an MPU-401 not found error when trying to play music in the Duke Nukem 3D setup.

I tried booting up in safe mode and the speakers are silent. So there must be something with the drivers?

Kind regards!

Reply 17 of 23, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DenkoRetro wrote on 2020-11-04, 08:42:
Hmm, I only found 2 named something like Creative (WDM). […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2020-11-04, 08:09:
It seems your system does not like the VXD drivers. […]
Show full quote

Kind regards!

Hmm, I only found 2 named something like Creative (WDM).

Well, it kind of works now.. but when moving my cursor when playing Midi-files like Canyon.mid it starts to do crackling noises, and stops when I don't move the mouse and plays fine.
Also I get a wierd static noise from the speakers when I move the cursor without any music playing.
Maybe the soundcard is busted?

I also get an MPU-401 not found error when trying to play music in the Duke Nukem 3D setup.

I tried booting up in safe mode and the speakers are silent. So there must be something with the drivers?

Kind regards!

In safe made, you will never have audio. That is normal . Safe mode is meant for fixing problems , including ones that prevent booting in normal mode , so most drivers, including audio ones, are intentionally disabled by Windows .
I do not have an Audigy 2 installed (probably do not own one, though I might have a 2ZS somewhere), so I assumed it looked a bit like my Live! in device manager . After checking it seems like the WDM driver for the the Live! installs 2 devices, whereas , the VXD one installs 3 . I imagine this will be similar on an Audigy 2, but I do not know for sure .

EDIT : In your situation, I would either try going back to the WDM drivers to at least test if they function on well on a basic level and then try to find different VXD drivers that might work better on your system . Maybe somebody here with an actual Audigy 2 under Windows 98 SE will suggest something .

Live! WDM

live_wdm.png
Filename
live_wdm.png
File size
10.31 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Live! VXD

live_vxd.png
Filename
live_vxd.png
File size
10.53 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 18 of 23, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you do a clean install of Windows and follow my guide, you should be able to install VXD drivers from the CD image linked in that thread, despite your card not being a ZS.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 19 of 23, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are the specs of the rest of your system?

The crackling thing was pretty big back in the day though I never experienced it on any of my builds except one where it was cured by moving the card to another PCI slot.

Lowering the PCI latency setting in BIOS might help as well.

Creative blamed the motherboard and chipset makers and the motherboard and chipset makers blamed Creative.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK