VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 36720 of 52693, by jm8881

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does that motherboard actually support 3 volt operation? Bare DX4's don't work at 5 volts.

The dx2 66 it came with is 3v.

edit:
holy crap, I can't find anything that says the ve 4/66 came with an amd processor. Only an i486DX2-66 which is 5 volt.

edit 2:
actually i just found this: https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80486/AMD-A804 … X4-100SV8B.html which says the ve 4/100 came with a 3v amd

Last edited by jm8881 on 2020-11-03, 03:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 36721 of 52693, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-10-31, 01:05:

Also saw a NOS sealed box Pioneer slot load CDROM in same store but passed on it ! Had one before and they have great electronics but shitty load
mechanism that will ruin CDR disks, might go back and get it tomorrow if still there .

Ok went back and bought it, was surprised it was still there, but then again..... who but an old computer nerd would want one 😀
Is a Pioneer DR-501S 24X IDE cdrom built Nov. 1997. Never opened, still sealed and included cables, manual and DOS driver floppy.
Am impressed with how well it was packaged back then, good foam suspension !
Yeah not the greatest but for $10 am not complaining (until it eats one of my CD's ) 🤣

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 36723 of 52693, by jm8881

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-11-03, 02:59:
Ok went back and bought it, was surprised it was still there, but then again..... who but an old computer nerd would want one :) […]
Show full quote
Horun wrote on 2020-10-31, 01:05:

Also saw a NOS sealed box Pioneer slot load CDROM in same store but passed on it ! Had one before and they have great electronics but shitty load
mechanism that will ruin CDR disks, might go back and get it tomorrow if still there .

Ok went back and bought it, was surprised it was still there, but then again..... who but an old computer nerd would want one 😀
Is a Pioneer DR-501S 24X IDE cdrom built Nov. 1997. Never opened, still sealed and included cables, manual and DOS driver floppy.
Am impressed with how well it was packaged back then, good foam suspension !
Yeah not the greatest but for $10 am not complaining (until it eats one of my CD's ) 🤣

I've always like slot loaders. Just something about them.

Reply 36725 of 52693, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had a few (3) Pioneer DVD slot loaders over the years, but the slot loading mechanism always breaks. I gave up on those back in 2006. Hopefully you have better luck.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 36726 of 52693, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-21, 23:37:
Bought this Magnavox Headstart DX-33. Can you figure out why I bought it? Seller's pics: front.jpg back.jpg top_open.jpg side_op […]
Show full quote

Bought this Magnavox Headstart DX-33. Can you figure out why I bought it?
Seller's pics:
front.jpg
back.jpg
top_open.jpg
side_open.jpg

Well well well, nice find! It is nice to know that they actually ran these SXL2-66 chips without a fan and only a small heatsink. I definitely run mine with a fan.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 36727 of 52693, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not bought yet, but i am about to get another car full of retro parts, when i find time to go . There is a place that looks like a computer graveyard, its probably like 50 computers there ^^
I will have to start selling more of my stuff to be able to get things now tho x)

I got some pictures. One computer looks a bit curious to me. The beige one on the right, is it one of those up side down cases where the drive bays are in the bottom? Anyone recognize the type?

Attachments

Reply 36728 of 52693, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SVD wrote on 2020-11-03, 13:37:

Not bought yet, but i am about to get another car full of retro parts, when i find time to go . There is a place that looks like a computer graveyard, its probably like 50 computers there ^^
I will have to start selling more of my stuff to be able to get things now tho x)

I got some pictures. One computer looks a bit curious to me. The beige one on the right, is it one of those up side down cases where the drive bays are in the bottom? Anyone recognize the type?

I think it's an HP Vectra PII/PIII (VL), the second on the left seems an Olivetti M4, extremely good findings !!

Reply 36729 of 52693, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-11-03, 05:02:

I still have my original Pioneer DVD-304S slot loader from July 2000, and it's never missed a beat 😀

Some seemed to last forever, some had issues.

feipoa wrote on 2020-11-03, 05:34:

I've had a few (3) Pioneer DVD slot loaders over the years, but the slot loading mechanism always breaks. I gave up on those back in 2006. Hopefully you have better luck.

Yep had a few long ago, iirc each failed at some point to eject a CD and had to use the tool to eject the disk which ruined (marred the surface) of the CD because it was forced out on the rollers that were supposed to be spinning but were not.
Luckily this one works as new and ejects just fine and leaves no marks.

The other two CDrom's also work just fine. Ohh forgot to mention the 3rd drive before, which is a LG 52x IDE CDROM GCR-8521.
The LG was in a sealed box but was not completely new, more like a return or something but does work just fine and did include cables and manual but appears to have been case mounted sometime.
All three are beige and have the analog volume control on the front bezel which I think is great for adding to any 486 or Pentium box. Just my opinion 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 36730 of 52693, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An associate I used to buy from at one time messaged me today with some new stuff. I thought this was the only thing worth buying in his lot so I grabbed it for 4 bucks.

Creative Sound Blaster 32 CT3670.jpg
Filename
Creative Sound Blaster 32 CT3670.jpg
File size
62.29 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

To be honest I didn't really need it as I have several AWE32 and AWE64s already but I did not have this specific card (Sound Blaster 32) in my collection and thought why not. I am a sucker for collecting different Creative models.

He also had a Soyo Socket 7 motherboard with an MMX200 on it as well as a Matrox Mystique but I needed none of them and passed up. He apparently has some AT cases and PSUs in good condition as well and will send me photos of those. Hopefully I can score a nice, desktop case for my 386SX build..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 36731 of 52693, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a big scsi box off eBay. A bit more expensive than I care to admit, but it seems to go with the ALR gear I've been accumulating.

http://imgur.com/gallery/ID3jauZ

If I had known the drive trays were missing, I probably wouldn't have paid as much as I did. I have a few I can borrow from another system, thankfully.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 36732 of 52693, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After voting, I also did some thrifting.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Hb3DgOl

I just need to get an Intellivision console to see if the carts work.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 36733 of 52693, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2020-11-04, 08:47:

After voting, I also did some thrifting.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Hb3DgOl

I just need to get an Intellivision console to see if the carts work.

Is that CD-tower pure storage? Or does it have a drive as well?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 36736 of 52693, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I managed to grab a ZX Specrum+ for 49€, probably a bit steep price wise, but it looks great and comes with the correct psu, sadly no box.

IMG_20201104_164459.jpg
Filename
IMG_20201104_164459.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 36737 of 52693, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xicor wrote on 2020-11-04, 18:11:

Today I managed to grab a ZX Specrum+ for 49€, probably a bit steep price wise, but it looks great and comes with the correct psu, sadly no box.

IMG_20201104_164459.jpg

Bit steep? Cheapeast price I've seen one going for for a long time.

Been looking for that or a 128 for a while now - or rather: the case of one - as I want to do a Speccy 128 replica build. I had 48k rubber key and a +2 back in the day, but always vastly preferred the design aesthetic of the +

Reply 36738 of 52693, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
crvs wrote on 2020-11-04, 15:49:

Couldn't resist couple of good deals, + 4 soundcards into my pile

Nice - a SB PRo 1.0 clone ( the AV300 card)

That is one of the cards I would like to get my hands on but have only ever seen 1 for sale and it went for a stupid high price.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 36739 of 52693, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Two Intergraph TDZ 2000 GX1 workstations from 1999, one has dual PII XEON's and the other dual PIII XEON's
Really awesome and expensive workstations back then, the PII XEON base config cost $4999!

Made a small photo gallery with pics of them: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16045172464447

The cases have a very cool design and the front covering the CD and floppy drive can be open and it "folds" away out of sight.

Both machines were packed with 5 screaming SCSI HDD's

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327