VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a retro laptop which has quite many lighter/brighter spots on the display. They are not dead pixels so I was wondering if anyone knew if there is something that I could do about it? The sports basically make anything that is on screen in those spots lighter or brighter like for example when I bring the mouse cursor in win98 to those spots. Dark blue background also becomes light blue in those spots.

Reply 1 of 10, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe a picture would help understand what you are seeing, however if it is the same I see on one of my laptops, then it's a physical damage on the LCD screen, maybe it was hit/pressed too hard and it got damaged. No way to fix it AFAIK, only replace it with a good one.

Regards.

Reply 2 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It was rather difficult to take a picture that would show this, but I managed to take one that shows something.

spot1.jpg
Filename
spot1.jpg
File size
1.93 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Been trying to find any info online.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrNqM2GO7IU
This is only thing related to something similar online, but the video is bit weird and I don't know if things work the same with a 20 year old lcd.

Reply 4 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This exact problem was very common on Dell laptops at least back in the day. Around the Latitude D600 timeframe. Even replacement screens had the same issue regularly.

I did onsite warranty for Dell for a couple years during that time.

From what I could tell, it seems like the layers were not bonded together properly or something caused them to start separating.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 10, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, X220 and X230 early screen batches had an issue where they would develop these spots after a relatively short time.

But every LCD screen will tend to develop them with enough age and wear.

I've heard evidence of people who succeeded in removing them, by taking the panel apart and sanding it a bit from the inside, but I would never want to try something like this.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seen similar spots caused by foreign particles that's found their way into the panel, pushing on and deforming the backlighting reflective layer. Usually, it's not all that hard to disassemble or put together old panels as long as you're careful, could be worth the trouble to open it and have a look.

Be aware that the CCFL backlighting driver works with high voltages, and that the caps might hold charge for considerable time after powering off.