VOGONS

Common searches

Apple is getting off Intel CPU’s ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 440 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

getting the license for the free player was quite an ordeal. The website checks for geolocation and language of the browser to direct you to the proper page in your native language. Problem was that the "get the free license" link wasn't there in the German version of the page, so I was constantly redirected to a license of Workstation ONE (or whatever). Only by using a VPN and Chrome in English was I able to get a free license... To realize what the problem was, was the biggest hurdle...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 441 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-09-15, 15:45:

getting the license for the free player was quite an ordeal. The website checks for geolocation and language of the browser to direct you to the proper page in your native language. Problem was that the "get the free license" link wasn't there in the German version of the page, so I was constantly redirected to a license of Workstation ONE (or whatever). Only by using a VPN and Chrome in English was I able to get a free license... To realize what the problem was, was the biggest hurdle...

I had the same problem the entire morning. The VPN + Chrome option in english didn't even work too. Then all of sudden I had the luck to get in there on Safari while I was attempting to log in on both browsers. I quickly did a screenshot of the page to save the license key in case I lose access to their website again.

EDIT 2: I got an answer on Twitter and I found a page comparing better the two versions. (https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion.html#compare) essentially Player version just missing advanced features from Pro version. Nothing really significant for home customers.

EDIT 3: I am now waiting for the Apple Event video to begin in a few minutes...

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 442 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I've just watched the worst ever keynote from Apple today - I want my wasted one hour back.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 444 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I never watched them longer than a couple of minutes, Jobs or no Jobs. I rather read the ghist, sometimes even a liveticker but I don't enjoy watching these things

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 445 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-09-15, 18:51:

Weren't they all terrible post Jobs?

A couple of them were quite good, but recently they were terrible. This one just added more fuel to the statement "Apple cannot innovate anymore".

Phil Schiller will be pissed again...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 446 of 547, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2020-09-15, 00:42:

Thank a lot for the link, leileilol!

Though I wonder if this 'invitation' is meant for UK/GB/English people only, Europeans, or the whole humanity.

I wonder, because petitions that target government people are usually meant to be supported by the people of the very same country.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 447 of 547, by SwirlyDreamy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is against the rules but this has never been more relevant has it than today?

Given how anti-trust has turned more and more of a blind eye over the years to these kinds of things, probably in the hope that open source will completely give up for proprietary due to the lack of ability to keep up or support (probably related to the whole PRISM/etc and everything else tbh given how it's been more and more of a thing ever since ID'ing people on the tiniest of things became more and more commonplace and easy), it's not entirely impossible it could go through with some bribery.

(Also gotta love how many ardent Nintendo fans are reacting to this online, saying it'll be 'good for the Switch'. Shows how much they care about everyone else, the rest of the world's industry, huh. Bet the ardent anti-Apple people, which do tend to fall into the 'Nintendo fan' category too, are also hoping it happens 'to eliminate Apple' due to their issues with NVIDIA... I guess that's called 'being pricey' and 'the 8600M GT').

The user this signature is attached to can be disregarded safely.

Reply 448 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wish the video had closed caption because I'm a bit deaf for that. Anyway, I was never really a fan of these big GPUs, as I demonstrated in another thread.

But actually, Nintendo fans should be more careful. Because Apple does have the resources, money and power to buy Nintendo and kill it just to preserve their beloved Apple Arcade project. They just don't want to. =)

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 449 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Dominus:

Parallels just released their new Parallels Desktop v16 for Mac and compatible with Big Sur, featuring Universal Binary code for Apple Silicon-compatibility (apparently). Any chance you can check it with the DTK?

EDIT: found this at MacRumors forums: “It appears that someone at Parallels may have gotten a little too far out over their ski tips. After receiving that message from them last night, the documentation still claims that it is ready for Big Sur. However, the system requirements list only Intel processors with no reference to Apple Silicon. Even the Big Sur-compatibility claim now has an asterisk. It says that Parallels may have to be updated when Big Sur is released.”

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 450 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding the future new Apple Silicon iMacs and MacBook Pro:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/report-a … f-2021.2263877/

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 451 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

New Macs coming! MacBook Air "13 M1, MacBook Pro "13 M1 and Mac Mini M1! Amazing news.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 452 of 547, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

16GB maximum RAM for a Macbook is just ridiculous. Open Chrome and start one VM and this thing is filled up.

What is this - 2010?

But I'm sure people will find excuses to justify that, as usual 😋

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 453 of 547, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The people buying these will happily buy the next version so not a problem.
I really think the browsers need to do a crackdown on inefficient sites. Mabye put up a notification that the site you are browsing is a POS.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-11-11, 00:22. Edited 2 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 455 of 547, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2020-11-11, 00:18:

I really think the browsers need to do a crackdown on inefficient sites. Mabye put up a notification that the site you are browsing is a POS.

That's legitimately the bigger problem here. It's absolutely dumb that you can only have 16GB max, but at the same time, the only way a normal user who isn't doing rendering work will get close to that is either in a huge game or when browsing way too hard. The only time I've gone over it on my gaming system was when playing Flight Sim 2020 with most of the options at max while flying in Tokyo.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 456 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2020-11-11, 00:13:

16GB maximum RAM for a Macbook is just ridiculous. Open Chrome and start one VM and this thing is filled up.

What is this - 2010?

But I'm sure people will find excuses to justify that, as usual 😋

Its just the first gen M1. I’m sure the second gen and onwards will have even more. Apple does things step by step instead of throwing things all over the place like their rivals do and fill up with bugs. We will have to wait and see, but I don’t think its a critical point for low-end models. All my computers have 16GB and I am not even using full power when I use VMware Fusion and Windows 10 VM, so what’s the point? Who really needs 32GB - Tell me who are the professionals needing more than 16GB and why? I can think of rendering and video editing, OK, that’s correct. But Apple has made clear in their keynote that these low-end models are powerful enough to use things like Cinema 4D, Maya, AutoDesk...

I had even installed SketchUp and AutoDesk on my mac to convince my mother (a retired architect) to drop her Lenovo Yoga (we changed her broken screen three times!) but no luck, she’s stuck with her worflow on Windows and I can understand that, I am stuck with my efficient and quick workflow on macs for web development and deployment.

ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-11-11, 00:19:

No, I actually think that's inexcusable in 2020.

However, they only transitioned low-end models today — I'm pretty sure they will release a more powerful SoC (M1X? M2?) which will be used in their more powerful laptops and will come with more RAM.

Exactly. Its the lower end. I expect iMacs and bigger MacBook Pros to have even more, maybe M1X first. I see no reason to have more than 16GB unless you are virtualizing more than one OS. I don’t even need more than 8GB for everything I do. RAM is not everything, an efficient CPU is much more important.

BetaC wrote on 2020-11-11, 01:34:

That's legitimately the bigger problem here. It's absolutely dumb that you can only have 16GB max, but at the same time, the only way a normal user who isn't doing rendering work will get close to that is either in a huge game or when browsing way too hard. The only time I've gone over it on my gaming system was when playing Flight Sim 2020 with most of the options at max while flying in Tokyo.

I don’t think its dumb, we all know that Chrome is the #1 RAM eater so why people keep using that? Personally, I think that are better options with less tracking problems - Safari, Firefox & Edge. In one week using the new Safari, I had blocked more than 100 trackers, 75% of the sites visited were tracked by Google Analytics. Chrome would not block them that easily out of the box, I had to install AdGuard and it was far from perfect.

But I can understand your point about the RAM here. Its a valid point so I concede that. Heavy users will need more RAM, period. But the full AS Macs lineup is not complete yet, they still have to launch 16” MBP, iMac, iMac Pro and Mac Pro. These will be for the heavy users. Right? When the full lineup is complete, I think its fair to wait until then, to criticize or not them for doing Macs with 16GB max. Probably its the limit for that M1 model and for sure the next M1X or M2 will have even more. For me it’s more than enough but I know I’m not the only Mac user here and not everyone uses the Mac like I do.

BTW, FS 2020 runs on top of DirectX 12, right? Let’s suppose, what if Microsoft decides to port it over to Mac using the Metal API? I’m sure that if they do it right, it will probably run much better than it does on Windows. RAM would not be an issue in this scenario. But knowing Microsoft, they wouldn’t do a good job on it.

Last edited by Bruninho on 2020-11-11, 03:53. Edited 2 times in total.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 457 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2020-11-11, 00:18:

I agree. As a web developer, the browsers being able to tell you where you can improve (some extensions already do that, sure) your website performance & speed as a built-in feature is a great idea. But not always the cause is an inefficient site - sometimes its just the server where the bottleneck is. I can name a few sites and one football club forum.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 458 of 547, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-11, 03:21:

BTW, FS 2020 runs on top of DirectX 12, right? Let’s suppose, what if Microsoft decides to port it over to Mac using the Metal API? I’m sure that if they do it right, it will probably run much better than it does on Windows. RAM would not be an issue in this scenario. But knowing Microsoft, they wouldn’t do a good job on it.

Actually, it's still using DX11 in it's current form. There probably isn't going to be a port any time soon, in part because of the size of the game alone being a problem. It's currently 108GB on my system, 129 when you count the extra liveries I have installed as well. The 240GB NVMe SSD that I have it installed on is over half full, and that's with it only containing FS2020.

That being said, RAM is technically only an issue if you're in heavy areas, but the game can easily use around 8GB without really trying. If you're at minimum settings, and have the photogramety turned off, you might be able to run it with less than 8GB, but I can't guarantee that at all.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 459 of 547, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey even Windows PCs should change to ARM, because how effective they are. And all new software is all programmed in high level languages. Linux is pretty mature with arm PCs. And they do not take allmost any power.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.