VOGONS

Common searches

Apple is getting off Intel CPU’s ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 461 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I have not found any program uniseable/unbearable or even that I thought that it's really slow.
And 16GB work alright, too. But I'm not browsing on the DTK, mostly doing development work, compiling programs, testing out programs. So I'm probably not hitting the "16GB is not enough to browse" problem 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 462 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AnandTech published their analysis of Apple's CPU microarchitecture and performance: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16226/apple-si … 1-a14-deep-dive

TL;DR. A14 (the 5W iPhone chip) has CPU cores that are faster than any x86 core except Ryzen 5950X. M1, which obviously has more headroom, should be even faster.

Reply 463 of 547, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The world's fastest cpu core claim is so dubious that I laughed out loud at it.

On December 26, 2017 3:01AM US Eastern Time, SPEC will stop accepting SPEC CPU2006 results for publication.

This is supposed to be a desktop CPU yet all the benchmarks they run are either discontinued shit from 2006 or mobile suites.

No compression, no compile, no rendering..

Come on Apple, give me a decent benchmark or fuck right off with the BS.

This whole launch looks as futile and cringeworthy as anything from Intel in the last couple of years.

It will be fun watching Apple fuck this thing up.

Also, as a final note: It is SO SAD to see how far Anandtech have fallen. This is almost surely a paid infomercial piece. I will try to find the fine print later.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2020-11-11, 07:58. Edited 3 times in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 466 of 547, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mac OS-X is Unix based OS, with Mach BSD like kernel, so it is as portable as Linux and Android or whatever, on it is artificially propriertary. but even windows 10 is portable. Then the only problem will be source porting all the old games.

In todays world yo do not have to run X86 or AMD64 code, only if you need legacy software or well games. but majority of software today is totally portable.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 467 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will reserve my final comment on M1’s speed until I get to try out one of these new macs. But with such Geekbench scores, I firmly believe they are the fastest CPU out there for sure.

My i7 MBP struggles to load Safari after a cold boot every time. The way Apple demonstrated, with M1 it is as instantaneous as the iOS Safari.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 469 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2020-11-11, 13:24:
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-11, 12:58:

My i7 MBP struggles to load Safari after a cold boot every time.

hdd vs sdd?
not cleared temporary internet files?

Ssd. I always clear them at the end of the day.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 471 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-11-11, 14:52:

Loading Safari is the problem here though, not performance.

The problem is indeed performance and the name is “Intel”. *shrugs off*

@robertmo: not just Safari, all browsers struggle to load up first time opened. From second time onwards they load fine. Its a Haswell i7 dual core, so yes it’s time to switch to AS Mac for me when I manage to find a better job paying a better salary.

Last edited by Bruninho on 2020-11-11, 15:07. Edited 1 time in total.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 472 of 547, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't make sense to blame Intel when Intel didn't design the Apple laptops.
Browsers load just fine on machines using Intel processors that I use.
Sounds like an Apple issue although it won't be any more.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 473 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It’s not an Apple issue. It’s Intel being unable to make proper CPUs as requested by Apple for their Macs hence why they switched to their in house CPUs rather than using throttled Intel CPUs.

Theres also thermal and fan noise issues. Intel. Period.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 474 of 547, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Ungraded Maxed out 2012 MacBook Pro with dual core Sandy bridge i5, 16gb ram and 500gb SSD. Still works good with OSX Sierra.
Very stable and responsive. Its good for most apps but maybe video rendering quickly in Adobe premier.
But still works fine in iMovie and Final Cut Pro.

Its too slow for Win-10 but works fine in OSX.

Reply 475 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's why I never use Google Chrome.

Attachments

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 476 of 547, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sheesh. Even my 9-year old 2nd gen Core i7 laptop opens even IE11 (far from the most optimized browsers) even on Win7 (an almost 12-year old OS almost 1 year out of extended support) instantly.

I have no idea why things don't work for you. Maybe you are just trolling?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 477 of 547, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2020-11-11, 15:46:

Sheesh. Even my 9-year old 2nd gen Core i7 laptop opens even IE11 (far from the most optimized browsers) even on Win7 (an almost 12-year old OS almost 1 year out of extended support) instantly.

I have no idea why things don't work for you. Maybe you are just trolling?

I'm not a troll. What I win here by being a stupid troll? Nothing. I'm telling you the truth how I see it from my current scenario. Safari on iOS loads up instantly. On all intel Macs I've used for work, all the browsers I have installed here for web dev purposes (Safari, Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Opera) take seconds to load up for the first time opened. The second time onwards is better. Safari is my main browser and also has two pinned tabs (WhatsApp and Instagram). I keep open two Safari windows: One for normal browsing with the two pinned tabs and an incognito window for all the work related websites.

Whenever I load up Adobe, DOSBox, VMware or QEMU, the fan goes crazy and the machine temperature goes up. Right now, with two Safari windows and Coda 2 loaded up, it's nearly silent until I load up Photoshop... Thank you, Intel.

IE11? Really? You're sure you're not just trolling now? Come on. I could trust you if you were saying MS Edge on Windows 10.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 478 of 547, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no point in discussions with those affected by RDF so this will be the last from me but:

Browsers load "instantly" (yes even IE11) the first time on my Dell Precision 5520 with an i7 7820HQ using Windows 10.
My fan doesn't turn on when I load up dosbox (with nothing running in it) on my Dell Precision.
Looks like your laptop has an issue (needs cleaning, paste reapplied?) or mabye that's normal for Apple laptops.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2020-11-11, 17:29. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 479 of 547, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-11, 03:21:

Its just the first gen M1. I’m sure the second gen and onwards will have even more. Apple does things step by step instead of throwing things all over the place like their rivals do and fill up with bugs.

Just like I predicted - people always find excuses for the weird decisions Apple makes in their products.

How exactly does putting enough RAM into a machine increase bugs? It's not like MacOS can't handle more than 16GB of memory.
I think it's just ridiculous to sell a machine that's called "Pro" with a laughable maxed out memory configuration. They can claim whatever they want, but Blender will not magically use only half of the memory on an ARM machine. 😉 I'll be very interested how Photoshop will work on these machines, when the native version comes out in 2021. The Adobe suite is one of the most bloated pieces of software out there.

I had even installed SketchUp and AutoDesk on my mac to convince my mother (a retired architect) to drop her Lenovo Yoga (we changed her broken screen three times!)

Well at least you can still change the screen without the security chip locking down the whole machine, making it unuseable. 😀
I've also changed the screen on my L390 yoga, because I ran into a rainstorm one day and soaked it. It was done in 5 minutes and works absolutely perfect. That's an experience I will never have with an Apple product, because they're strict opponents of right to repair.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"