VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 2000 of 2397, by gfernval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try to add Windows 3.1 sound support, the reason I found diagnose.exe didn´t worked was that because Windows 3.1 sound didn´t worked
tried to run low level programs to check for sound and diagnose.exe was a good one.

Reply 2001 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

gfernval: I tried but I think the sound does work in Windows 3.1. For example, I can hear the sound when you start or exit from Windows 3.1. But perhaps our configurations are different, or we are simply using different sound drivers?

Reply 2002 of 2397, by gfernval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The specific error I get when starting windows is "Sound Blaster 16 ERROR incorrect MIDIPORT setting in the SYSTEM.INI file",
the BLASTER environment variable that creates DOSBOX-X is BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H6 P330 T6, then DIAGNOSE works but
Windows give the above error. If I edit \windows\system.ini and change the MidiPort line to MidiPort=300 instead MidiPort=330
then sound in Windows 3.1 works! (there is sound when you start and exit from Windows), maybe sound in Windows 3.1 is fixed to 300 address?
I have tried to change the mpubase line in dosbox-x.conf to mpubase=300 (the ne2000 network card is at io=280,irq=5) , then DIAGNOSE works
but windows sound does not work with the line MidiPort=300 or MidiPort=330 (gives the error above)

Reply 2003 of 2397, by caiocco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I compiled the latest version of DOSBox-X and I am not finding a way to fully capture the keyboard. Even when the mouse is successfully captured, key combinations such as Alt + Tab or Control + Alt + Arrow continue to be transmitted to the host system, which triggers unwanted commands from the window manager. The same problem has never happened with conventional DOSBox. I generated the complete configuration file, but I didn't find the parameter to be changed.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I realized that the name "DOSBox-X" makes it difficult to search for information, bringing results to the conventional DOSBox instead.

Reply 2004 of 2397, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

moved caiocco's question to the dosbox-x thread

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2006 of 2397, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

no problem, we try to contain the subjects for dosbox-x to its own thread (or its issues page on github) since we like to keep the dosbox forums for plain dosbox. You couldn't have known.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2007 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

caiocco: I tried with vanilla DOSBox, but I think key combinations such as Alt + Tab are transmitted to the host system (I am using Windows) as well, even after I press Ctrl+F10 for it to capture the mouse. In DOSBox-X on the other hand there is a "Send special key" menu group (in the "Main" menu) which allows you to send key combinations such as Alt + Tab directly to the guest systems inside DOSBox-X without also sending them to the host system.

P.S. You will typically get faster response if you ask questions in the DOSBox-X issue tracker.

Reply 2008 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

gfernval: Not quite sure what happened in your Windows 3.1, but I checked my windows\system.ini file and it has the line "MidiPort=330", and the value of the %BLASTER% environment variable is "A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6". The sound in Windows 3.1 does work with such a setting.

Reply 2009 of 2397, by gfernval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you know if it will be any patch to run dosbox-x in Pentium-III machines? Latest github source code compiles
without problems in Pentium-III, the problem is that the executable (and the official mingw release) do not work in
Windows XP with Pentium-III CPUs. One user pointed the AVX emulation was faulty, I tried to comment such
emulation but no luck.

Reply 2010 of 2397, by Ringding

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which compiler do you use for building? If it works on a Pentium 4, it’s likely built for SSE2 (-mfpmath=sse in gcc, might be set by default in recent mingw releases).

Reply 2011 of 2397, by gfernval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use msys32 with gcc version 5.3.0, I have compiled with -march=i686 -mfpmath=387 and the built dosbox-x.exe does not work on Pentium III computer but works on Pentium 4. It seems that from versions 0.83.5 onwards dosbox-x need at least Pentium-4 CPUs to run.

Reply 2012 of 2397, by ThankYou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick 'thank you' for this, Jon and the other contributors.

Neither VirtualBox or VMPlayer would let me install Win98SE in a virtual machine on my Ryzen PC - both were rather faster but both had illegal operation / invalid page fault failures in Regsvr32 (and something else in VirtualBox) so didn't actually complete the install.

Reply 2013 of 2397, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ThankYou wrote on 2020-11-13, 20:44:

Quick 'thank you' for this, Jon and the other contributors.

Neither VirtualBox or VMPlayer would let me install Win98SE in a virtual machine on my Ryzen PC - both were rather faster but both had illegal operation / invalid page fault failures in Regsvr32 (and something else in VirtualBox) so didn't actually complete the install.

Have you tried PCEM/86Box?

Reply 2014 of 2397, by ThankYou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OSH wrote on 2020-11-13, 20:56:

Have you tried PCEM/86Box?

While it would be nice to have a better video card emulated..

PCEM - needs to be built rather than having a package.
86Box - Windows only, so no.

I do know that KVM won't do it either (similar failure on installation reported).

Reply 2016 of 2397, by ThankYou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-11-13, 22:12:

There's BoxedWine or QEMU, too. I'd try the first one, first.

WINE works with some programs, and not with others. For modern stuff, I let Steam use its Proton version.
QEMU sort of works.

Reply 2017 of 2397, by ThankYou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ThankYou wrote on 2020-11-13, 20:44:

Just tried VirtualBox on an older - but still much more recent than anything around when Win98SE was made - AMD CPU and it reliably has problems somewhere else.

Reply 2018 of 2397, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

QEMU TCG works on Ryzen for Win98 VM if the games do not require fast CPU processing. If the games work on WinME, then WinME VM will work nicely with Ryzen for QEMU KVM/WHPX, which gives a significant boost to an unimaginable CPU performance by the games from couple of decades ago.

Otherwise, Intel CPUs generally work better for QEMU KVM/WHPX. I have a solid Win98 VM on Core i3-4010U and Core m3-6Y30 laptops for playing games with QEMU KVM. The later is fan-less.

Reply 2019 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a heads up, dynamic x86 core in DOSBox-X has apparently hit a problem with Visual Studio 2019 where x86_64 builds can crash when dynamic core is enabled.
There is a double typecast in risc_x64.h that attempts to detect whether the prologue needs to load RBP (a full 64-bit pointer) or EBP (only the low 32-bit half) to point to &cpu_regs.
This typecast is optimized out by VS2019's compiler in Release builds, causing only the low 32 bits to be written in any case and a crash when executing the dynamically generated code.
DOSBox-X fixes the issue by explicitly masking the pointer by 0xFFFFFFFF for that test instead of relying on typecasting.

I thought I'd bring this up in case DOSBox SVN crashes the same when compiled for 64-bit Windows in VS2019 with dynamic core.

https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/is … mment-735044501

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.