VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 36880 of 52813, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I've received a Aerocool Modern V fancontroller.
Got it as NOS, not shrinkwrapped but else it is brandnew.

OK, it's not exactly retro but I had one back in 2008 and loved the star trek'ish look.

Aerocool_Modern-V.jpg
Filename
Aerocool_Modern-V.jpg
File size
119.06 KiB
Views
File comment
Aerocool Modern V fancontroller
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 36882 of 52813, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a few bits, which arrived today -

First up a RealTek RTG3105 ISA Graphics Card. Which should hopefully pair nicely with my recently repaired 8088 10MHz XT Clone motherboard:
mlG4XIVh.jpg

Next, a motherboard with a 386SX 25MHz CPU:
TTTyLw7h.jpg
This motherboard will probably be used mostly for testing purposes, as I don't currently have a spare LPX form-factor case to fit it into. I've got loads of memory chips that should fit this board, so I should be able to put 4MB RAM into this.

Most importantly and the real reason I snapped up the 386 motherboard, was for the riser card:
p8P3z1eh.jpg
This card will also fit a 486 LPX motherboard that I have in storage, so is extremely handy to have. It will allow me to properly test the spare 486 board at last.

Also got an I/O card, nice to have as I was running short of spares after building my 286 & XT builds:
5Ysy6g3h.jpg

Reply 36883 of 52813, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I got like 10 old computers today. I will post about them later, they are still mostly in the car 😅 but I got this "teaser"
I got this sound card, or something similar. What is it? Looks expensive for it's time.

I also got this nice socket 2 board. It got ps2 connectors.

Attachments

Reply 36884 of 52813, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SVD wrote on 2020-11-13, 21:28:

I got this sound card, or something similar. What is it? Looks expensive for it's time.

Option b) :
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=164625

Speech Design Audiocard 300E vintage speech recognition card for PC - ISA

Reply 36885 of 52813, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just got this (in form of separate card anyway): http://mirosupport.de/media/surround/surround.html among other cards. Never heard of anything like this. Does anybody have any info is it actually something useful or just a gimmick?

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 36886 of 52813, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2020-11-13, 23:37:

I just got this (in form of separate card anyway): http://mirosupport.de/media/surround/surround.html among other cards. Never heard of anything like this. Does anybody have any info is it actually something useful or just a gimmick?

Ok.. I hate protected PDF files. The manual is available on the page you linked but is in German... my comprehension of German is quite limited so I had to print to OXPS, then print to PDF, then save as a Word document so I could actually run the text through Google Translate.

WHAT IS miroMEDIA SURROUND?

Congratulations on purchasing the miroMEDIA surround board! The miroMEDIA Surround board is an ISA board with a Dolby Pro
Logic decoder that extends the sound quality of existing sound components.

You have already experienced it in the cinema or in your living room: 3D sound with Dolby Pro Logic Surround. The action no longer only takes place in front of you, but you are right in the middle of it, surrounded by music, sounds and noises that come from all directions and are fascinating and at the same time realistic.

With the miroMEDIA surround board you can now enjoy this sound on your PC. This turns your video game, multimedia presentation, digital video clip, action film or concert recording into an experience - hi-tech entertainment at home.

PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS
miroMEDIA Surround can be used with any soundboard or external sources such as a TV or CD player. With the miroMEDIA Surround Board, miro offers the following features:
Fun / audio outputs:
The five audio outputs on the miroMEDIA surround board enable the connection of a complete Dolby Pro Logic surround sound system (front: left / right, center, rear: left / right).
JVC JD-Phonic surround sound system with only two speakers: The JVC 3D-Phonic technology realizes surround sound, even if you only connect two speakers.
Sun / twin control:
The Dolby Pro Logic properties are controlled via the software and adapted to the room acoustics.
Compatible with Windows 95, Windows J.lx and DOS:
miroMEDIA Surround can be used under Windows 95, Windows 3.1x and MS-DOS

Also, according to that manual, it looks like the original installer includes documentation in German, English, and French.

Looks like it could be a useful card to me.
Attached is the word document so you can run whatever parts through Google Translate if the original English or French or whatever other language manual is not available.

Filename
surr_unprotected.zip
File size
1.24 MiB
Downloads
47 downloads
File license
Public domain

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 36887 of 52813, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bestemor wrote on 2020-11-13, 22:39:
Option b) : https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=164625 […]
Show full quote
SVD wrote on 2020-11-13, 21:28:

Option b) :
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=164625

Speech Design Audiocard 300E vintage speech recognition card for PC - ISA

Speech recognition? What application would it be used for?

Reply 36888 of 52813, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

C&T Wingine based VLB card. Note total of 2MB of DRAM + 128kB of cache DRAM for improved host performance. Can't wait to see how it performs in DOS.

DSC_8501-1-scaled.jpeg

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 36889 of 52813, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if it is considered "hardware" but I bought 3 boxes of "new" floppies today. Not that new considering the year 1989 marked on the boxes. I paid 27 euros total for 3 boxes of them. I am just curious about how much you usually pay for floppy disks nowadays? I guess I wasn't sure how much I should generally offer for them and if paying 27 euros for them was too much.

floppies1.jpg
Filename
floppies1.jpg
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 36890 of 52813, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3M lasted long time, I still have the box of 3M from purchase nearly 8 years ago for working with classic computers.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 36891 of 52813, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found this board in a generic turbo xt case i just got. Is this a combined 386 486 board? Anyone recognize this?

Attachments

Reply 36892 of 52813, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SVD wrote on 2020-11-14, 17:02:

I found this board in a generic turbo xt case i just got. Is this a combined 386 486 board? Anyone recognize this?

Not this one.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 36893 of 52813, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-11-14, 17:50:

Not this one.

Cheers,

Yeah you are right, the socket is to large for a 386. The next to top slot looks to be a Opti bus. The traces on the back goes to the CPU, i guess it would not do that for EISA.

Reply 36894 of 52813, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote on 2020-11-14, 14:02:

Not sure if it is considered "hardware" but I bought 3 boxes of "new" floppies today. Not that new considering the year 1989 marked on the boxes. I paid 27 euros total for 3 boxes of them. I am just curious about how much you usually pay for floppy disks nowadays? I guess I wasn't sure how much I should generally offer for them and if paying 27 euros for them was too much.

floppies1.jpg

That is a good price for three boxes of 5.25" new HD floppy disks. Last box of 10 I bought was Sony brand and cost me $10 at a local thrift store, before that paid $15 with shipping for one box 3M on Ebay..
The 3.5" HD floppies I find reasonable once in a while, last new box of 50 TDK cost $13 locally.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 36895 of 52813, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The smaller socket has 144 pins, so it could be for a Weitek 4167, which CPU-World says is PGA142. I'm not sure though, as most boards that support the 4167 say so in the middle of the socket.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 36896 of 52813, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks it could wery well be for the weitec. Was really hoping for 386/486 but no luck there. First opti bus maincard tough. But i guess i will never find a opti bus vga card.

Here is my retro computer score from yesterday. I can not buy anymore computers now... i dont have space 😅

The Olivetti looks to be really nice. Much better buildt that the crappy plastic Olivetti M40 i also have.

One of the computers had a voodoo 3 2000 pci. Strange choice with a p120 but nice to find.

Found a full size 3 port Lan card with 4mb memory and a Zilog z180 CPU on it.

Attachments

Reply 36897 of 52813, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there such a thing as a 386/486 board?

Reply 36898 of 52813, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aublak wrote on 2020-11-14, 22:41:

Is there such a thing as a 386/486 board?

Yes there are several treads here about those.
Here is one
Hybrid 386/486 motherboard?

Reply 36899 of 52813, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The above is not 386/486 socket. It is a 486 board with Weitek coprocessor socket and likely Opti slot. The 386 socket has different number of pins.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4