VOGONS

First post, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if someone might be able to shed some light on a strange issue I'm having.
It sounds basic, but for the life of me I can't work out what the issue is.

I have 2x socket 7 motherboards, in 2x separate cases. But I can't get my plain Microsoft Serial mouse to work with any of the onboard COM headers.

I've tested the mouse on another computer, it works fine. I've check to make sure I have Pin 1 mapped correctly as well. Reset the BIOS to defaults and checked the settings to make sure there isn't any conflicts.
Fresh installs of Windows 95 and manually tried to force it to connect.

I also grabbed a PCI Serial card to test with, but it doesn't work with that either. I've had this issue on a 2nd motherboard as well ages ago, but assumed the board was faulty. Using a different case with different headers attached.
I can get voltage out of some of the Pins when testing.

It's just very strange that the mouse works one of my other computers. But I can't get it to detect on 2x other machines.

One thing I've noted with a serial mouse is some newer machines give me the same issue.
The only clue I have, is when I attach the mouse to my 440BX P3 system, it doesn't get detected either. I assumed this had something to do with PS2 clashing?
Same when I use it on a laptop with serial and PS2, no detection. It does however work on a really old laptop I have, but this machine doesn't have PS2, just Serial.
Anyway, I will try to gather more info.
But has anyone had a similar issue with a plain old serial mouse just not being detected?
Cheers
Mitch

Reply 1 of 13, by notsonic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it just the one specific mouse? Which model is it? Do you have another serial mouse to try on those machines?

You could try a dos or freedos boot disk with the cute mouse (ctmouse) driver to see if that works. I've had a lot of luck with that driver.

Reply 2 of 13, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
notsonic wrote on 2020-11-18, 18:42:

Is it just the one specific mouse? Which model is it? Do you have another serial mouse to try on those machines?

You could try a dos or freedos boot disk with the cute mouse (ctmouse) driver to see if that works. I've had a lot of luck with that driver.

Well it's one of the attached,
I can grab another mouse at some point and try. And yes I've tried CTmouse but no luck sadly.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems to me problems like this aren't so uncommon; I can remember having some frustration with it back in the day. There was some lengthy discussion about this over here:
How do you get a serial mouse working

As noted in that thread, rather than messing with drivers, you should be able to open a standard terminal program on the relevant COM port and communicate with the mouse that way.

Reply 4 of 13, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-11-18, 20:51:

It seems to me problems like this aren't so uncommon; I can remember having some frustration with it back in the day. There was some lengthy discussion about this over here:
How do you get a serial mouse working

As noted in that thread, rather than messing with drivers, you should be able to open a standard terminal program on the relevant COM port and communicate with the mouse that way.

Yeah it's super strange and annoying haha. My day job is IT and I was thinking it surely can't be this hard, I've used them before haha.
Thanks for the link, I will have a read and also try getting some serial feedback!

Reply 5 of 13, by NScaleTransitModels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you have any modems installed? I had a Socket 5 system that would simply refuse to recognize the serial mouse in W2K and XP, but had no problems in 98. I think it was a modem conflict of some sort (forgot if the conflict showed in device manger) so I had to disable the modem. Even then, reinstalling COM1 didn't help, and I had to install a new serial port, COM4, to get the mouse to work.

Builds:

• ECS FX-3000; 386DX-40@50; ET4000AX, ISA 1mb
  • Acer VI9; 486DLC-40; Mach32, VLB 2mb
  • Chicony CH-471A; CX486s-40; Mach32, VLB 2mb
  • Gateway 2000 P5-60; Pentium-60@66; S3 928, PCI 3mb
  • DTK PKM-0033S; AM5x86-133@160

Reply 6 of 13, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NScaleTransitModels wrote on 2020-11-19, 10:27:

Do you have any modems installed? I had a Socket 5 system that would simply refuse to recognize the serial mouse in W2K and XP, but had no problems in 98. I think it was a modem conflict of some sort (forgot if the conflict showed in device manger) so I had to disable the modem. Even then, reinstalling COM1 didn't help, and I had to install a new serial port, COM4, to get the mouse to work.

Good tip, sadly no modem installed. I will have to post up what the device manager shows. But normally no mouse is visible

Reply 7 of 13, by horstmueller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently ran into the same problems with my 386 I am currently restaurating.
Problem there was the header for the serial port. There are 2 standarts newer and older.
I copy you the records of my research - I hope the help you:

DB9 Female

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9

IDC 10 Male

..........##
###########
#1 3 5 7 9#
#2 4 6 8 X#
###########

1: NC
2: RX
3: TX
4: NC
5: GND
6: NC
7: NC
8: NC
9: NC

idc10 - db9 (new) - db9 (old)

1 - 1 - 1
2 - 6 - 2
3 - 2 - 3
4 - 7 - 4
5 - 3 - 5
6 - 8 - 6
7 - 7 - 7
8 - 9 - 8
9 - 9 - 9
10 - NC - NC

Reply 8 of 13, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
horstmueller wrote on 2020-11-19, 21:23:
I recently ran into the same problems with my 386 I am currently restaurating. Problem there was the header for the serial port. […]
Show full quote

I recently ran into the same problems with my 386 I am currently restaurating.
Problem there was the header for the serial port. There are 2 standarts newer and older.
I copy you my the records of my research - I hope the help you:

DB9 Female

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9

IDC 10 Male

..........##
###########
#1 3 5 7 9#
#2 4 6 8 X#
###########

1: NC
2: RX
3: TX
4: NC
5: GND
6: NC
7: NC
8: NC
9: NC

gemessen:

idc10 - db9 (new) - db9 (old)

1 - 1 - 1
2 - 6 - 2
3 - 2 - 3
4 - 7 - 4
5 - 3 - 5
6 - 8 - 6
7 - 7 - 7
8 - 9 - 8
9 - 9 - 9
10 - NC - NC

This is amazing info! Thanks for that.
Is this sometime I can probe with a mustimeter, just on the plug side to check the pinout on the header/cable itself?
The case might be older than the motherboard given the config sticker under the case.

Reply 9 of 13, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So just updating this one. I found something interesting.

I tested the mouse with one of my ThinkPad's knowing that I would have the same problem. There must be a way to make these things work.
I did a manual hardware detection, just like before.

It detected A serial mouse device, but show's it's not connected. Via the Device Manager screenshot.

After going into the control panel, and manually selecting a Serial Mouse device. I could reboot and use this within Windows.
I'm wondering if this has something to do with PS2 support on such desktops and laptops.

I will try the same method again and see how that affects it. I'm wondering if I can make this work in DOS as well.

Attachments

• Mouse Settings.jpg
    Filename
    Mouse Settings.jpg
    File size
    69.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Device Manager.jpg
    Filename
    Device Manager.jpg
    File size
    90.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 10 of 13, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay after some digging and getting my BIOS chip re flashed because I broke it.

Thanks to horstmueller for some clues, I think I have narrowed this down.
I'm documenting my findings in-case others come across this issue.

I found an old ISA card with IDE controllers etc. And used it on this same desktop to test with. Straight away the mouse was detected.
My PCI Serial card did not work, this is a much newer PCI card.

So the Pin Outs read the following voltages (see image).

Compare this to my Motherboard header, using the same cable.
The ISA Card as 9 pins, where as my motherboard header has 10. Also my other desktop has 10 pins as well, but the serial mouse works.

Pins 3 & 5 on my mainboard are different. I can only assume this is due to the standards used and what my mouse may support.
I will try and find a dedicated DB9 ISA card, or see if I can get the PS2 header working, as this currently isn't due to a pin type issue.
If I get any updates, I will share them.

Cheers guys!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Filename
    Capture.PNG
    File size
    17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 11 of 13, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,
Project is wrapped up on this one. Thank you everyone for your help.

I shot a video of the machine as well, 2 parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RODQwt4VoDc
Cheers 😀

Reply 12 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lackofpatience wrote on 2020-12-20, 02:53:

So, did you come to a particular conclusion? Was it just a matter of having the voltage on pin 3 instead of pin 5?

Reply 13 of 13, by lackofpatience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-12-20, 05:20:
lackofpatience wrote on 2020-12-20, 02:53:

So, did you come to a particular conclusion? Was it just a matter of having the voltage on pin 3 instead of pin 5?

Sadly I never got a chance to test the theory, as I found my PS2 header was wired wrong. So I never got a chance to make an adapter to test it