VOGONS

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi friends,

since the first hardware became available for 3 voice sound on non-Tandy PC's i sorta became the official curator for patched binaries, that circumvent PCjr/Tandy 1000 machine detection, in order to playback on third party hardware. Back then, there was only the lo tech Tandy card, but today, we have a couple more options.

In the 3 years that have passed i patched mainly a few Sierra AGI versions, some old Windham and Telarium adventure titles, and the early Lucasarts adventures. ripsaw8080 contributed with Thexder and helped with Maniac Mansion, Scali if i remember correctly, contributed with the CGA version of Skate or Die. And little more was done since.

Last couple of months i've been working hard to compile a list with the games that were patched, and those that were left to patch. In the meantime, i patched quite a few more and i have uploaded them to ftp.oldskool.org already. There are a lot of games that do not need patching at all, and quite still a few left to patch.

There were games that sounded wrong when using port redirection. I found that the reason for it was that some titles write not only to port 0C0h, but also to port 0C1h. The TSR redirectors at the time did not listen to port 0C1h, thus wrong music was heard. So i contacted a few people (dreamblaster for the TNDLPT tool, and matze79 for the TNDY.COM tool) with some instructions to correct the problem. Thanks to that, this issue was mostly fixed.

This is still a work in progress, some games i lost a lot of time trying to patch, but i've been unable to, although it does seem possible. One such example is Accolade's "Bar Games". Other titles like "Defender of the Crown" or "Budokan" present their own challenges. My main tool has been IDA Pro, but i have no experience disassembling booter titles or DC's. "Budokan" is an even weirder one, as it seems to be encrypted in its own way.

So i'm attaching the main document, which lists the games that have been patched and what executable has been uploaded for them. As i stated before, you can get the binaries at ftp.oldskool.org, cortesy of Trixter aka Mobygamer.

Filename
Tandy patching project.txt
File size
23.89 KiB
Downloads
228 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by carlostex on 2021-12-28, 23:08. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you also patch the hard coded I/O address games to use "int 0c0h" instead of "out 0c0h" so people can use the games without port redirection software that requires a 386 or better? I remember scali describing this method and I thought he said it was you doing it but I could be wrong

Reply 2 of 17, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really appreciate your Work!

Thanks carlostex!

Dreamblaster is still working on getting Metal Brackets for Tandy Cards, i hope it will not take too long until it will show up in serdashop 😁

But would it not better to make some sort of diff files and a patcher so there are no legal issues ? maybe in some countrys its illegal to distribute patched executables.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 3 of 17, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote on 2020-11-17, 12:45:

But would it not better to make some sort of diff files and a patcher so there are no legal issues ? maybe in some countrys its illegal to distribute patched executables.

I'd like to suggest the VCDIFF format as standardized by the IETF in RFC 3229. The most widespread implementation is the command line tool xdelta.

Reply 4 of 17, by LordMortiferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot for the patches, carlostex! And kudos to everyone else who helped.
Matze has also started a list for tandy 3-voice compatibility on non-tandy systems. Maybe you find additional games or workarounds in that list.

Reply 5 of 17, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah but TSR changed a lot since it started so that is no longer recent maybe.

At least it would give some Start point

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 6 of 17, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-11-17, 05:18:

Do you also patch the hard coded I/O address games to use "int 0c0h" instead of "out 0c0h" so people can use the games without port redirection software that requires a 386 or better? I remember scali describing this method and I thought he said it was you doing it but I could be wrong

No, that wasn't my goal. Although it can probably be done. In any case port 0C0h works well with both 8086/8088 and 286's. So i don't really see the point. But it can be done i guess.

matze79 wrote on 2020-11-17, 12:45:

Is that really an issue? Because i really would rather finish this and have a repo with patched binaries than having to create a patcher. And i have no experience with that. And there's the question of multiple game versions...

LordMortiferus wrote on 2020-11-17, 18:35:

Matze has also started a list for tandy 3-voice compatibility on non-tandy systems. Maybe you find additional games or workarounds in that list.

I don't quite fully understand that spreadsheet (although its much better to use a spreadsheet than a .TXT file like i did). For instace, when looking at the Stunts entry i get that the game sounds fine on XT, 286,386 and 486 but then on a Pentium using the por redirectors there's an issue. The issue is described as a timing issue, but it's not that: as i explained on the OP some games write to port 0C1h besides port 0C0h. The port redirectors only listened and forwarded what was sent to port 0C0h, thus the garbled notes.

Prince of Persia and Prince of Persia 2 seem to be suffering from a similar issue but i've yet to find the cause for this one.

Reply 8 of 17, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote on 2020-11-18, 19:22:

No, that wasn't my goal. Although it can probably be done. In any case port 0C0h works well with both 8086/8088 and 286's. So i don't really see the point. But it can be done i guess.

286's have a second DMA controller at that address so not really

Reply 9 of 17, by LordMortiferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You probably can add Ski or Die to your list. If I remember correctly and my entry in matze's spreadsheet is correct you can replace adski.smb with tnski.smb and start the game with "s.exe adlib" to get tndy 3-voice music.

Edit: I do not have any problems with port 0xC0 on my 286 PCs. However, to my knowledge problems with the 2nd DMA controller could occur when using a LAN or SCSI card in a 286.

Reply 10 of 17, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LordMortiferus wrote on 2020-11-19, 06:35:

You probably can add Ski or Die to your list. If I remember correctly and my entry in matze's spreadsheet is correct you can replace adski.smb with tnski.smb and start the game with "s.exe adlib" to get tndy 3-voice music.

Edit: I do not have any problems with port 0xC0 on my 286 PCs. However, to my knowledge problems with the 2nd DMA controller could occur when using a LAN or SCSI card in a 286.

Thanks for the info. I did it differently though, a couple of patched binaries for EGA/CGA so that you have Tandy sound instead of PC Speaker. I'l upload them to the repo. I wasn't even aware that Ski or Die had 3 voice support. My guidance was from Mobygames, so thanks for the heads up.

Reply 13 of 17, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another game bites the dust! This time its Sentinel Worlds 1 - Future Magic, a 1988 space RPG.

Install the EGA (or CGA, not tested yet but should work) version into your harddrive. Download the swtnd.zip file from the repo at /pub/TandySoundPatches/Games/EA/SENTINEL/ and extract to your FMPLAY directory letting it overwrite previous files.

Then load up the game and enjoy EGA + 3 voice sound on your Tandy sound device. Tested on a TNDLPT.

Reply 14 of 17, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MechWarrior the original Dynamix game has now been patched for Tandy sound as well.

I'm hoping that someone designs a ISA Tandy card with a selection for port 090h, as an alternative to the Tandy C0h port. I'm confident this port should work great for AT machines. All i need is a card that listens on this port for my tests.

Reply 16 of 17, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alextpp7 wrote on 2022-03-25, 12:10:

Hi, Why is the FTP site not working ? Is there anywhere else to access the patches ? BTW, thank you for the hard work !

Are you sure that you actually tried to access it? Many web browsers have abandoned FTP support in recent years.

Reply 17 of 17, by alextpp7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Benedikt wrote on 2022-03-27, 11:48:
alextpp7 wrote on 2022-03-25, 12:10:

Hi, Why is the FTP site not working ? Is there anywhere else to access the patches ? BTW, thank you for the hard work !

Are you sure that you actually tried to access it? Many web browsers have abandoned FTP support in recent years.

Ah yeah, it's working with a FTP client 😀 It brings me in the good old time of FTP and newsgroup stuff !
Thank you very much for the help -_-