VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 36920 of 52352, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I spent an extreme amount on some hardware.

image0.jpg
Filename
image0.jpg
File size
1.5 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

An entire $5 for a bootable 133 PATA drive and SATA drive combo. Now I only need to figure out how to get it to boot off of PATA when something SATA is also attached.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 36921 of 52352, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got this kinda cool card, I put it in my 486 and it instantly worked. It is like XTIDE except it's OG XTIDE from the 90s before XTIDE existed. Also it fixed y2k bug. It detected my 32gb CF and let me format 32gb. no compatibility issues with my VLB Adaptec IDE controller. It also cost me way less than XTIDE cards you fine on ebay.

Attachments

• s-l1601.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1601.jpg
    File size
    178.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    234.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 36922 of 52352, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2020-11-19, 02:01:

I got this kinda cool card, I put it in my 486 and it instantly worked. It is like XTIDE except it's OG XTIDE from the 90s before XTIDE existed. Also it fixed y2k bug. It detected my 32gb CF and let me format 32gb. no compatibility issues with my VLB Adaptec IDE controller. It also cost me way less than XTIDE cards you fine on ebay.

Any price is better than this one

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 36924 of 52352, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would be good to have backup's of these card ROMs. As far as I have seen, some of these INT13 ROMs have better compatibility with old gear and mixtures between integrated IDE controllers and HBAs than XTIDE.

Reply 36925 of 52352, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have to look into how to dump the rom. Physically the pcb layout is not that complex. Not sure tho that the rom will work in a network card like XTIDE. I have the manual aswell. It probably wouldn't be that hard to clone the card.

Reply 36926 of 52352, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BetaC wrote on 2020-11-19, 01:38:

image0.jpg
An entire $5 for a bootable 133 PATA drive and SATA drive combo. Now I only need to figure out how to get it to boot off of PATA when something SATA is also attached.

Well, as long as it doesn't use the same stupid SATA/PATA implementation as some early SATA Dells (the SATA bus on those is actually connected directly to the PATA bus via an integrated adapter, so you can use either SATA or PATA but not both...)

Reply 36927 of 52352, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote on 2020-11-19, 08:47:
BetaC wrote on 2020-11-19, 01:38:

image0.jpg

Well, as long as it doesn't use the same stupid SATA/PATA implementation as some early SATA Dells (the SATA bus on those is actually connected directly to the PATA bus via an integrated adapter, so you can use either SATA or PATA but not both...)

They both work simultaneously, the only real issue is the one I mentioned, and it not supporting ATAPI, which means I will eventually need to re-burn a bunch of disks to make my CD drives happy again instead of just cheating with a more modern SATA drive.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 36928 of 52352, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's cool! Please dump the EPROM if you can.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 36929 of 52352, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found an Ebay seller (radimf78) with a bunch of these for sale, so I picked one up.. yay, no more using shoddy pry tools to remove PGA CPU's. 😁
rb3Svnvh.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 36931 of 52352, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-11-19, 16:06:

Nice find. That tool looks like a fin comb for straightening fins on AC/refrigeration equipment.

It is a PGA CPU removal tool for motherboards without ZIF socket. Most that I have seen came in upgrade kits.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 36932 of 52352, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was casually browsing the local classifieds site today when I came across an ad with a title similar to "PC and a lot of various PC and laptop parts". The whole pile for 10€, but located a two hours drive south from my place. Looked into it, saw the first picture, immediately asked the seller whether he would agree to ship a single item, which he did. Here it is:

board.png
Filename
board.png
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File comment
sellers photo
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So yeah, that's an ASUS P5A right there, including some unknown CPU, for 15€ shipped.
Let's hope it still works. I haven't looked into the various revisions of the P5A yet, it seems that some are more desirable than others, so fingers crossed this was a good buy.

My retro computers

Reply 36933 of 52352, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gex85 wrote on 2020-11-19, 16:32:
I was casually browsing the local classifieds site today when I came across an ad with a title similar to "PC and a lot of vario […]
Show full quote

I was casually browsing the local classifieds site today when I came across an ad with a title similar to "PC and a lot of various PC and laptop parts". The whole pile for 10€, but located a two hours drive south from my place. Looked into it, saw the first picture, immediately asked the seller whether he would agree to ship a single item, which he did. Here it is:
board.png
So yeah, that's an ASUS P5A right there, including some unknown CPU, for 15€ shipped.
Let's hope it still works. I haven't looked into the various revisions of the P5A yet, it seems that some are more desirable than others, so fingers crossed this was a good buy.

Nice. As it has the tag chip, it is an earlier version that shouldn't need modding to support the K6-2+ / K6-3+ CPUs properly.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 36934 of 52352, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-19, 18:24:
gex85 wrote on 2020-11-19, 16:32:
I was casually browsing the local classifieds site today when I came across an ad with a title similar to "PC and a lot of vario […]
Show full quote

board.png

Nice. As it has the tag chip, it is an earlier version that shouldn't need modding to support the K6-2+ / K6-3+ CPUs properly.

Which one is that exactly? And the later versions are still quite good combined with a MMX that can also be slowed down with setmul (not multiplier though).

Reply 36935 of 52352, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The tag chip is the smaller chip next to the northbridge.

The 1.05 and 1.06 are the ones that have to be modded to work properly with the K6-2+ and K6-3+

K6-2/3+ Success on Asus P5A 1.06 - simple mod

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 36936 of 52352, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice, thanks for pointing that out. I still have a few K6-2+ 550 MHz CPUs sitting in the drawer (all of them overclock to 600 MHz without issues), so that should be a nice fit!

My retro computers

Reply 36937 of 52352, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2020-11-18, 09:21:

Not really anything special and condition of some cards is so-so but will come in handy for building some rigs for sale... I'm mostly interested in the MiroMedia Surround card - addon DSP for regular sound cards. It implements Dolby Surround for 2 or 2+1 speaker setup so I hope for it being a bit more than just another 'spatializer' which was a common thing on sound cards back then... Also the Digitan DSAC-300 sound card seems a bit uncommon. Havn't seen one before...

Dolby Surround in case of this card (Dolby were never consistent with what they called "Dolby Surround") refers to the Dolby Pro Logic encoder, it's not really implemented by the card. I don't know of any technologies older than DTS Connect/Dolby Digital Live that would do something like that on the PC.

Looking at the manual, the "JVC 3D-Phonic Surround-Soundsystem" is a technology that tries to reproduce surround sound on stereo speakers (virtual surround sound). Something similar to Aureal A3D (and a dozen of other technologies). But it needs surround sound as an input, so I don't think it will work with plain stereo sound. Looking further in the manual, the drivers for Win 3.1 offer 3D-Phonic only as an option for the Dolby Pro Logic mode, what would confirm my suspicions.

For stereo expansion, this card has the "Texas Instruments 3D Stereo Enhancement" and this is a "spatializer".

This will be a fun card if you find something with a Pro Logic soundtrack. I'm not a movie wiz, but maybe there are Video CDs with such soundtracks. Will have to look through my parents Video CDs collection for Dolby logos 😉

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 36938 of 52352, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have one of those, but the ROM on it only supports 512MB Drives. Your box says 32GB which sounds pretty good!

Reply 36939 of 52352, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Went to see my e-waste guy today.

-OCTEK Rhino 6 Rev 1.11 Socket 7 motherboard
-PCChips M919 v3.4B/F
-Intel Overdrive DX4 100mhz
-Sound Blaster 16 CT1740
-Sound Blaster Pro 2
-AWE64 Gold
-Mach32 PCI (no IC chip unfortunately)
-Matrox g450
-Voodoo3 3000 AGP
-Voodoo3 2000? PCI

I haven't tested anything yet, but everything looks like its in great condition.
Both of those motherboards take a propietary cache card. I was kinda confused when I first saw them. Luckily my e-waste guy handed me one of those cache cards. Interestingly the Rhino 6 seems to accept both styles of L2 cache.

The M919 is exactly what I wanted in a Socket 3 board; VLB, PCI, coin battery, EDO ram, I/O ports, etc. I hope it works.

I'm just going to post the BIOS dump from the Rhino 6 here.
I wanted to dump the M919, but I cann't identify the IC chip.

Attachments

• Filename
    Rhino 6 Bios.7z
    File size
    82.52 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20201119_210707.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20201119_210707.jpg