Topic actions

Reply 36960 of 52352, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xicor wrote on 2020-11-20, 15:28:
brostenen wrote on 2020-11-20, 11:51:
Bought an adaptor for Amiga, that sits between the Denise chip and the motherboard of an Amiga500 or Amiga2000. (OCS Amiga) The […]
Show full quote

Bought an adaptor for Amiga, that sits between the Denise chip and the motherboard of an Amiga500 or Amiga2000. (OCS Amiga)
The magic is, that I can attach an RaspberryPI-Zero, load up some software on the SD card and have HDMI-Output on the Amiga.
Anyone interrested, I can give a link to the Github page, were there is an mail address for the maker of the adaptor.
There are an Super-Denise version as well.

I will post pictures, once I have it all bought, installed and working.

EDIT:
The original product/solution, is an external scandoubler/upscaler-kind-of-thing'y, for MULTIPLE COMPUTERSYSTEMS/CONSOLES. 😜
And probably the most cheap one that delivers a solid result for the price. No more cheap solutions from China.

Part One:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lnaI7TY0qQ

Part Two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGO3N1ThHFA

But the adaptor I bought is an internal solution.... I like internal Amiga upgrades over external ones.
(And no, I am not the one in those two videoes, just the only in dept video's that I have found)

Very cool project and much needed to. Thanks for sharing !!

Thanks. And no problemo. As CRT's are getting rare, like ultra rare, these days. Then we need something universal and cheap. And perhaps this is a solution for all Vogons users.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 36962 of 52352, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SVD wrote on 2020-11-20, 17:22:

Not that rare, counted from the top of my head. I have 11 CRTs :p never paid much for any of them.

You might just have gotten lucky. However, take a look at eBay. Nice and impressive that you have 11 CRT's. However think about those that are starting on this hobby, and those that can only afford LCD technology or simply do not have the space for more than one LCD monitor or LCD TV in their vintage/retro corner/room. How many are there left on a global scale, and what would the price including shipping cost you? Not to mention that coils and transformers inside an CRT are not something that lasts forever. We need to think about the future. There will be a time, were you will have to go out and look for an CRT as well, or you might be in a situation in the future, were you simply dont have the space for CRT's.

I am in no way telling you to get rid of your CRT's, just stating the facts, regarding our hobby and the future.

I also know that a few Vogon users are living out in the middle of nowere. And getting things shipped at a decent price, are extremely hard to impossible for those. And then there are those Vogon users, who live in a country were nothing vintage is left, because we recycled everything when LCD became the standard for some 15 years ago.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 36963 of 52352, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know there is a lot less of them here too, but they are about. Maybe its easier in Norway than in Denmark, more old empty buildings to store old "crap" (as many think it is) . Here there are many lofts full of stuff. And especially older people that don't trow anything away, but are glad someone wants it. If someone are new to retro stuff i have a few tips.
1. Don't ask people into retro computers if they know where to find stuff. They already have gotten what they know about, and are usually interested in what they have.
2. Go to groups distantly related to retro computers, like facebook groups for old radios.
3. Also general buy and sell groups (where they sell old glassware and clothes and stuff).

There they are, the people that have old computers but dont really care about them.
I got a 386 DX33 with the cache maxed out, ton of books about DOS and diskettes with all kinds of software - for free - he just wanted someone to take it. He was an old electrician, respected the hardware, would never trow it, but did not really want it either. Also another guy gave me 8 50pin SCSI drives for shipping, because i asked at an electronics group if anyone had those.
The same goes for old CRTs 😀

Reply 36964 of 52352, by manos426f

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SVD wrote on 2020-11-20, 16:12:

Got RAM?
I already have enough kilos of ram, but i could not pass up this, for about free. 30pin simms

ALL OF THESE are 30-pin SIMMS ?!!?!??!

I could very well buy a 2 x 16MB kit for my AWE32, in case you are interested in selling.

Reply 36965 of 52352, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got a sweet deal on this thing (asked seller to lower the price very significantly, I didn't expected he will agree... but he did)... It seems fairly complete, but seller says it has some burnt electronic smell inside. Comes with SB Pro 2 and two ISA S3 801 cards. Seller's photos. More pics when it arrives.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 36966 of 52352, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote on 2020-11-20, 18:20:
You might just have gotten lucky. However, take a look at eBay. Nice and impressive that you have 11 CRT's. However think about […]
Show full quote
SVD wrote on 2020-11-20, 17:22:

Not that rare, counted from the top of my head. I have 11 CRTs :p never paid much for any of them.

You might just have gotten lucky. However, take a look at eBay. Nice and impressive that you have 11 CRT's. However think about those that are starting on this hobby, and those that can only afford LCD technology or simply do not have the space for more than one LCD monitor or LCD TV in their vintage/retro corner/room. How many are there left on a global scale, and what would the price including shipping cost you? Not to mention that coils and transformers inside an CRT are not something that lasts forever. We need to think about the future. There will be a time, were you will have to go out and look for an CRT as well, or you might be in a situation in the future, were you simply dont have the space for CRT's.

I am in no way telling you to get rid of your CRT's, just stating the facts, regarding our hobby and the future.

I also know that a few Vogon users are living out in the middle of nowere. And getting things shipped at a decent price, are extremely hard to impossible for those. And then there are those Vogon users, who live in a country were nothing vintage is left, because we recycled everything when LCD became the standard for some 15 years ago.

I do agree with Brostenen, it is becoming exponentially hard to find a EGA or CGA monitor, even the more common commodore demand a premium. In my country I cant find a 1084 for less than 150€ and that is excluding shipping, not to mention an ibm 5154 or 5153, they are pure unobtanium.
I suspect that time will not be kind, and we will lose CRTs "left and right", so despite the multiple CRTs that I do have, I welcome this project, first because it saves hours of my beloved CRTs (5153, 1084's, monocorme's and VGA's ), and also because it may help others to enjoy and maintain this hobby.

Reply 36967 of 52352, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote on 2020-11-20, 19:16:

Just got a sweet deal on this thing (asked seller to lower the price very significantly, I didn't expected he will agree... but he did)... It seems fairly complete, but seller says it has some burnt electronic smell inside. Comes with SB Pro 2 and two ISA S3 801 cards. Seller's photos. More pics when it arrives.

Woow, what is that? Is some kind of simulator?

Reply 36968 of 52352, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow that flight trainer setup is awesome. Definitely post some pictures of that thing when you get it.

Reply 36969 of 52352, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ok, now that's an amazing setup, I'd keep it complete like that ^^

Reply 36970 of 52352, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
manos426f wrote on 2020-11-20, 19:15:

Got RAM?
I already have enough kilos of ram, but i could not pass up this, for about free. 30pin simms

I could very well buy a 2 x 16MB kit for my AWE32, in case you are interested in selling.

Yes they are.
I could set you up with 2 x 4mb no problem. Unfortunately i only have 1MB and 4MB simms. I have around 100 30 pin simms. None are 16MB, i think those are rare, and newer than what i have.

Reply 36971 of 52352, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SVD wrote on 2020-11-20, 19:56:
manos426f wrote on 2020-11-20, 19:15:

Got RAM?

Yes they are.
I could set you up with 2 x 4mb no problem. Unfortunately i only have 1MB and 4MB simms. I have around 100 30 pin simms. None are 16MB, i think those are rare, and newer than what i have.

16MB 30pin SIMMs are still available to buy brand new for as little as $13.95 a piece shipped on eBay. A 2x16MB set that specifically says it will work with the AWE32 is $29.95.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 36972 of 52352, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-11-20, 19:48:

ok, now that's an amazing setup, I'd keep it complete like that ^^

Well, if It has some software I and I will make it running - I will. I may get in touch with people that made it for some documentation and software if HDDs are not working. I'm flight sim freak after all. Also I may have use for these rudder pedals in some modern sims (I will have to make an interface to connect it via USB, but it's not a problem).

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 36974 of 52352, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-11-20, 20:37:

yeah you can always just wire it into a leo bodnar board :3

Yeah, or Arduino and MMJoy2.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 36975 of 52352, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a pretty cool setup. DUAL SBCs so you actually have 2 separate computers there. I wonder how it was set up to all work together.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 36976 of 52352, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2020-11-20, 14:52:

Also this beautiful thing arrived in the mail today. It has Suntac motherboard, IIT 287 fpu and hercules compatible video adapter. HDD is missing, but that's not a problem. Monitor is the one I recovered from the trash pile some time ago...

Nice case, nice board! 😉 Are the ST62 ICs on a socket here?

Can you dump your BIOS please? This one is new to me...

Reply 36977 of 52352, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought an AMS laptop (no known info found about it). Says Sound Pro on the right side of the laptop and says AMS S/N ECP 1 1730, FCC ID ID4PN486E.

Screenshot_20201119-151720.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20201119-151720.jpg
File size
71.33 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 36978 of 52352, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2020-11-20, 13:31:
Aublak wrote on 2020-11-20, 12:48:
Thermalwrong wrote on 2020-11-20, 12:21:

That's an incredible selection! Lucky find 😁
Be aware though, the M919 needs a specific cache module that says "FOR 486 M919 USE ONLY" on the back. There's also 2 versions of that cache module for 3.3v (M919-01S3) or 5v (M919-02S5) CPU / operation. So use it without L2 cache for now. Someone made a PCB for new cache sticks here. I found 2 of them in a junk lot of while back - and I've already got a known good one in my M919, so I should really put those 2 up for sale 😀

Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah I haven' been able to completely identify the module that I have. It fits in the slot, that's all I know.

With those 4 chips, that should be a 512KB pipeline burst COAST, nice for that socket 7 board.

I don't know how you identified it, but thanks.

Reply 36979 of 52352, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote on 2020-11-20, 17:00:
wiretap wrote on 2020-11-20, 14:18:
brostenen wrote on 2020-11-20, 12:40:
Here you go sir... :-) :-) The Github page.... […]
Show full quote

Here you go sir... 😀 😀 The Github page....

EDIT:
I found this line of text on the page, that answers one of my questions that I have been wondering about.

Because the adapter board contains a configuration selector, the Amiga profile is already preselected and can be used directly.

Awesome, thank you. 😀

No problemo. I hope you enjoy the reading. 😀

Is the interposer PCB an opensource part, I can't seem to find schematics or a bill of materials anywhere?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.