VOGONS


First post, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Hello

I got a Abit AN4R307, this board is a "less cost solution" of AN4TR2.
DX4-Support is removed. -> no 3.3V Regulator.

I have placed 3.3V Regulator and resistor, Capacitor. Despite this work: DX4 runs only with 2x multi stable, 3x multi -> very instable.

The attachment an4R307.jpg is no longer available
The attachment an4R307_Regulator.jpg is no longer available

Compoment-list see below url
Problem is solved: My fault -> Re: Abit AN4TR2, Who have this board ?

Greetings
matt

Last edited by Madao on 2020-12-14, 18:01. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whats written on the pcb near the VRM? LT1083? or is it LT1085 or 1086?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have that board and I modded it to support 3.3V with parts I had at hand but the board is still not all that great and doesn't seem to work stably at 40MHz or higher bus speeds.

The attachment IMG_9348.jpg is no longer available
The attachment IMG_9350.jpg is no longer available

Regulator I used is NCP1086-33 and the mods are primarly to allow more current to reach the CPU since everything seems to go through single jumper.
JP12 is 3.3V / 5V jumper and I had to remove JP9 which purpose I no longer remember.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 14, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I have placed EZ1084CM, adjust.
My run with DX-50 stable at 50Mhz FSB. but not with DX4, only 2x Multi.
JP9 is bypassing to 5V or for 3.3V over resistor at 5V. I have removed solder jumper.

I think: place 3,3V CPU Support at this board is money & time-waste. 😒

Reply 5 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My board has an Award BIOS, which I attached. Board itself has been slightly cannibalized and a photo of it probably isn't the best.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 14, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Mine has Ami-WINBios.

I haven't good camera (chinesium-smartphone)

Reply 7 of 14, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

My Photo, no high quality.

You're allowed to take of this pictures to this side.

Reply 8 of 14, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I give up, i'll selling this board for price (26.90€) , what i have paid. I don't want keeping this board.

Reply 9 of 14, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Problem solved ! My multi IO VLB and CF-IDE Adapter is reason for instable DX4-run. Reason: I am lazy and i let run CF-IDE adapter without external 5V supply. (CF IDE adapter run on 5v from IDE Port) Abit board and one vlb ide card doesn't like this way. I plug of 5V supply on CF IDE adapter and DX4 run fine.

My Board has rev with four jumper for voltage selection.
Modification-List is only this Rev: 2:1.1

Q4 = LT1085-ADJ or pincompatible type with LowDropout(LD1085V from ST, EZ1084, ...)
TC15 = 10µF capacitor (eletorlytics or Tantal,whatever!)
TC12 = 150µF eletrolytics (recommend by LT1085 datasheet), i use 470µF
JP52, bridged with wire by soldering.
R77 = 270 ohm , 4V CPU voltage , Jumper JP53
R78 = 240 Ohm , 3,6V CPU voltage, Jumper JP54
R79 = 220 Ohm, 3,45V CPU voltage, Jumper JP55
R80 = 200 Ohm, für 3,3V CPU voltage, Jumper JP56
R81 = 127 ohm
R41 and R42 is placed with 10 Ohm (my estimated value ) Location: between VLB slot and CPU socket
All eight capacitor in CPU socket is 100-470nf capacitor.

And the END: JP9 is recommend to setting,
Intel DX4 need this jumper JP9, 1-2 or 2-3, it is not important (recommend (1-2 )). It is possible, it run without jumper stable. I
But AMD DX4 doesn't need him, because this PIN is N.C. It is for 5V tolerance I /O buffer of Intel DX4 and 5v Supply of 486 with 5V

My BIOS doesn't support AMD DX4 and 5x86. it is too old. 😒

Last edited by Madao on 2020-12-31, 18:02. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 10 of 14, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the AH4 seems to share the same bios with the AN4R2. I have version 4.02 on file

08/30/95-SIS-85C471E/G-2C4I9A12-02
GREEN 486 VESA SYSTEM BIOS

If you have the possibility to flash back the old bios externally if this one does not work properly, you can try it.

Release notes:

Date: 8/31/1995
ID: 02
Enhanced to support Intel P24D, Cyric M1sc, DX4, and 120MHz CPUs.

Reply 12 of 14, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Yes, this BIOS image is GOOD 😀

I have pile Intel 27512. I pick one and burn image.
Yeah, AMD 5x86 run, (detected as (enhanced )AmDX4-S or similar)

I can tell: Overclocked Intel DX4 (100@120 ) is a true beast, eaten AMD 5x86-160 in few bench .

Thanks
Matt

Reply 13 of 14, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Next success step.

ABIT AN4R2 and AN4TR2 doesn't support writeback, becaucse: PCB has a design fail.
WB/WT-Pin of 486 is connect to empty solder-joint for jumper. Fail: Jumper short WB/WT Pin to ground. It should connect to VCC, if WB Mode is needed.

The attachment abitfailWB.png is no longer available

And it run faster 😀

Modification: JP 59, 37, 63 is empty solder joint, added with pin header

Jumper setting for WB Mode
JP59 (2-3 )
JP 37 4-5 (Intel DX4 works in all combination, whatever 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 or 4-5 , wreid , but AMD 5x86 doesn't like 2-3)
JP35 1-2
JP63 <- This is reason, why ABIT AN4R2 doesn't support WB, design fail. (JP63-Pin 2 should connect to 5V, here : Ground )
JP63 Pin 1 connect to 5V, if WB Mode is needed. (Recommend over 1k Resistor )

The attachment IMG_20201214_184345.jpg is no longer available

EDIT (15.12.2020) JP37 is not neccesary, open jumper -> no influence about WB-Mode, but other two jumper has influence.

Result :

The attachment 5x86WB160.jpg is no longer available

(512kB L2 Cache is a chinese counterfeit of ISSI 1MBit SRAM, this is why, i am going back with L2 Cache timing)

Reply 14 of 14, by thisisamigaspeaking

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Sorry to revive this thread, the manual has settings for up to AMD DX4-100 but not for DX5-133. What would be different for the settings of DX4-100 vs. DX5-133, only 2x multiplier right? If any could break this down for me I'd appreciate it. My CPU is getting hot but not posting.

I did not mod the board myself, it came with 3.3V VRM.

There are two clock chips apparently, U26 and U27. Different jumpers for each:

U26

The attachment ABIT-AN4R2-CPU.png is no longer available

U27

The attachment ABIT-AN4R2-CPU-U27.png is no longer available