VOGONS

First post, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Several people asked me for the rom. These cards are rare. I used NSSI in to back it up. Let me know if its not right.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    Filename
    box.jpg
    File size
    135.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    DTC1181y2k v1.3.7z
    File size
    16.13 KiB
    Downloads
    83 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you !
added: the ROM file looks good. Contains DTC LBA BIOS EIDE22A 04/02/98, and DTC YEAR 2000 (Y2K) Management BIOS Y2K13A 05/17/99.
The PAL may be tricky to dupe but the 27C256-15 EPROM and 74LS245 are common, might be possible to build one by some reverse engineering.
Am still trying to figure out why mine has that 2kx8 (16K) CMOS Static RAM chip, maybe the EDPT10A bios on mine needs it for some reason.

Last edited by Horun on 2020-11-22, 22:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 24, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well it has jumpers to change address, and to enable disable, It also have some jumpers that say factory don't change. Without that idk how well it will run in a network card if at all. Idk what those 2 chips too the right are for either.

Reply 8 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah somewhere is my stack-o-crap have a few ISA jumper set old NIC's, think the BIOS might work in one of those but probably not in a software programmed one. I will find a flash chip and burn the rom for my DTC1181 some time soon

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 24, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, starts from a network card - thanks again!

DTC1.jpg
Filename
DTC1.jpg
File size
113.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
dtc2.jpg
Filename
dtc2.jpg
File size
92.58 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 24, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are similar cards from MicroFirmware (PhoenixBIOS based) and SIIG. Would be nice to have these saved, specially MicroFirmware's, which seem to have updated post-2000 ROMs (althought i've heard these are a sort of unobtanium... SIIGs also have 2000 updated cores).

Reply 13 of 24, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-11-22, 21:48:

Am still trying to figure out why mine has that 2kx8 (16K) CMOS Static RAM chip, maybe the EDPT10A bios on mine needs it for some reason.

Most probably is to save the updated Y2k year structure, in order to don't f*ck with system clock chip, which would have no space in its CMOS ram to store the fixed year info.

Predator99 wrote on 2020-11-24, 20:48:

If works like this, maybe would be even possible to use it on XTIDE ROMcard, for those don't have enet isa with sockets, or the ones who have them populated and are using the bootrom for other purposes.

Reply 14 of 24, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DTC1.jpg
dtc2.jpg

And does it detect your harddisk?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 15 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just found my jumper set old NICs (8bit ArcNET cards w/BIOS socket) will give it a try asap.

Reply 16 of 24, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Robin4 wrote on 2020-11-25, 00:36:

DTC1.jpg
dtc2.jpg

Good question. I was not able to see that part, think because the System BIOS cleares the screen to show the config table too fast. Maybe I should try to switch off the HDD detection in the BIOS and see if it boots anyway.

There maybe a problem with some NICs not supporting 16kb ROMs. I have seen several where you only can put 2kb in. I used a 3COM 16-bit card.

Reply 17 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote on 2020-11-25, 07:12:
Robin4 wrote on 2020-11-25, 00:36:

Good question. I was not able to see that part, think because the System BIOS cleares the screen to show the config table too fast. Maybe I should try to switch off the HDD detection in the BIOS and see if it boots anyway.
There maybe a problem with some NICs not supporting 16kb ROMs. I have seen several where you only can put 2kb in. I used a 3COM 16-bit card.

Thanks for reminding me of that Pred ! One of my old NICS supports up to 64K ROMS but only has a 8K window (I know that sounds weird but the code cannot be larger than 8k in that 64k ROM)
Also: here is the Tech notes on the 1181 that PCBONEZ found for me a year ago in this thread: Re: DTC1181 ISA EIDE addon card

Attachments

• Filename
    1181.pdf
    File size
    57.61 KiB
    Downloads
    79 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 18 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

interesting stuff that it boots from a NIC , I had a card like this but I tossed it decades ago...
it would be nice to have that Y2K fix working alongside XT-IDE BIOS IMHO

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 19 of 24, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ya, I didn't know it was going to, but others seem to have the foresight that it might. Few people have said that it might be more compatible than XTIDE. While it doesn break a 128gb barrier, most people would agree 32gbs is overkill on types of systems these cards are for. You would never never more.