VOGONS

First post, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After using the "undead unguent", I seem to keep dying in the graveyard, and I don't understand why. How can I solve this ?

Attachments

• hq.gif
    Filename
    hq.gif
    File size
    203.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 17, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe its related to a timer, since the "undead unguent " should only work for a while.
However, the mandrake root can be taken if you enter the screen from the North. (do it quickly) It saves you a 100 silver at the expense of some points probably.

Now I will continue my quest 😁

Reply 3 of 17, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I second Bard's question. 😀

You do lose 2 points. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the very high speed setting you have? Why not try setting it to the slowest, waiting a second after applying the unguent, and then going in?

Reply 4 of 17, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I couldn't duplicate the experience. Although I noticed one thing - entering from the top puts you immediately in a hotspot where ghosts are designed to attack you. If you enter from the bottom, even before using the unguent, you can stay put at the bottom of the screen and use it. So this might work for you.

Which game version are you playing, held? As in, in-game, when you go to the menu, and select "About HQ", what version number does it show?

Reply 7 of 17, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2020-11-25, 07:33:

Capture video with DOSBox, open in virtualdub, export to animated GIF...

Is there a way to do something like this but keep sound? Or would that just be a video? 😀

Reply 9 of 17, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2020-11-25, 03:03:

You do lose 2 points. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the very high speed setting you have? Why not try setting it to the slowest, waiting a second after applying the unguent, and then going in?

I will try that on my next run , thank you.

2Mourty wrote on 2020-11-25, 03:17:

It also made me happy to see somebody else playing Quest for Glory!! =)

Yes I too have a soft spot for this game. 😁

BardBun wrote on 2020-11-24, 12:54:

Slightly offtopic, what did you use to make that gif?

Spikey wrote on 2020-11-25, 03:03:

I second Bard's question. 😀

2Mourty wrote on 2020-11-25, 03:17:

I third Bard's question.

Captured video using CTRL-ALT-F5 then used avi2gif online, https://www.onlineconverter.com/avi-to-gif
But I will probably use ffmpeg in the future if the results are the same. Although it should be a nice feature for this forum, I wonder what it takes to implement such a thing.

Reply 11 of 17, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2020-11-25, 03:13:

I couldn't duplicate the experience. Although I noticed one thing - entering from the top puts you immediately in a hotspot where ghosts are designed to attack you. If you enter from the bottom, even before using the unguent, you can stay put at the bottom of the screen and use it. So this might work for you.

Which game version are you playing, held? As in, in-game, when you go to the menu, and select "About HQ", what version number does it show?

Heh, I overlook that one, here it is:

Attachments

• abouthq.png
    Filename
    abouthq.png
    File size
    7.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 17, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just went past this quest and it was no problem for me. One screen before the graveyard I used the undead unguent. I got a tingling sensation. Then I simply walked up to the mandrake root, took it and ran away to Baba Yaga. I was chased by that weird cat monster across a dozen screens or so, but eventually made it.

Attachments

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 13 of 17, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for checking root42, maybe there is a patch. Since its 1.00, I will start a search.

Tried doing it slowly, this time, so I used the slowest speed, then I made sure it wasn't over configured, but the result is the same. I can use the unguent but I still really need to avoid those ghosts. Some protection 🤣

Used settings:

• 2500 cycles
  • core=normal
  • cputype=386_slow

Reply 15 of 17, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2020-11-28, 02:56:

Did you try going in from the other side of the graveyard?

Yes, but the outcome is the same.

After playing a new game, same character the undead unguent works fine 😁, so I'm a bit confused. The best indicator is the ghost in my first post. After applying the unguent, she still keeps darting around the hero. That should not happen, at least I did not spot it the new game. So I found a bug, but at least it is not consistent.

I did not find any hero's quest patches. So if you run into this be quick about it.

Reply 17 of 17, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2020-11-29, 06:07:

With the save, did you try entering from the bottom, and only applying the unguent then?

Yes, same problem.
Try it yourself 😁

Attachments

• Filename
    HQSAV_UNGUENT.7z
    File size
    21.51 KiB
    Downloads
    53 downloads
    File license
    Public domain