VOGONS

First post, by patrmich

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

On a floppy disk, I have 4 files coming from a single multi files backup made in 1997.

I copied and pasted such files on a single folder on my current computer running under Windows 10.

The 4 files have the following names :
CC12345A.001
CC12345A.002
CC12345A.003
CC12345A.004

On such recent computer, I cannot use Winrar as the trial period has expired.

I tried the following :
- selecting all the 4 files, making a right click and choose 7Zip > Extract here.

I got a single new file which has approximately the size of 4 floppy disks (5600 Ko).
The name of the file is CC12345A

But this file has no extension and I did not find any way or any application to open it.

Would you know how to retrieve the content of the 1997 backup ?

I thank you in advance for any suggestion.

Patrick

Reply 1 of 18, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would 7-zip read them?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 4 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
patrmich wrote on 2020-11-24, 09:16:

When I try to open the CC12345A file with 7zip, I am getting the following error message :
Cannot Open File as Archive

Are you sure that you are not missing a file in that backup set ? My memory may be off on this, but wouldn't the first file in a set normally be a .rar file ?

Reply 5 of 18, by patrmich

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I make a right click on the first file (CC12345A.001), I can see Type of file is : Archive WinRAR (.001)

When I make a right click on the second file CC12345A.002 (and the two others subsequent files), I can see Type of file is : 002 (.002)

Reply 6 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WinRAR did not create 001 files. From what I remember that was Zip (Hjjoin) or Ace.

https://www.newsgroupreviews.com/001-files.html

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 18, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2020-11-24, 11:49:

Am I the only person in the world who paid for WinRAR?

My registration code from 20 years ago still works with the latest version.

Probably yes 😁 OK I replied to this to say that winrar trial never stops working, just starts throwing nag screens but I couldn't resist adding this:

avzVqAq_700b.jpg
Filename
avzVqAq_700b.jpg
File size
64.27 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 10 of 18, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

001, 002, 003, ... are sequential files, but the first file should be .rar. So it looks to me, you are missing the first file of the archive...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 11 of 18, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you download these files from Usenet?

If so, you should use a program like HJSplit to join them up into a single file. WinRAR is not needed.

https://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_ … ing_hjsplit.cfm

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 12 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2020-11-24, 13:37:

Did you download these files from Usenet?

If so, you should use a program like HJSplit to join them up into a single file. WinRAR is not needed.

https://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_ … ing_hjsplit.cfm

yes this , it could be split files

and I also have to mention buying RAR was one of the best things I did as I use it multiple times daily and the cost was laughable for such usage 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 18, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

are we really on a retro forum where nobody remembers the msbackup system? that sure looks like files from msbackup from dos / win95.

put each file on a floppy disk, run msbackup in dos or backup in win95, and keep them in order.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 14 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe it's ACE compression?
upload 1 part here so we can investigate better

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
patrmich wrote on 2020-11-24, 08:17:
I tried the following : - selecting all the 4 files, making a right click and choose 7Zip > Extract here. […]
Show full quote

I tried the following :
- selecting all the 4 files, making a right click and choose 7Zip > Extract here.

I got a single new file which has approximately the size of 4 floppy disks (5600 Ko).
The name of the file is CC12345A

But this file has no extension and I did not find any way or any application to open it.

It seems clear enough to me that 7-zip successfully extracted something. What files were you expecting to find in the backup?

Try uploading CC12345A at https://mark0.net/onlinetrid.html .

Reply 16 of 18, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would try copying the files to a linux machine and running all of them through the "file" command, to get a guess of what they really are.

Reply 18 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2020-11-27, 19:27:

In the old days you would run echo d | debug CC12345A to see the first few bytes of the file. What's the modern equivalent of this?

A hex editor . I like XVI . It works in Windows SE, Windows 10 and any thing in between, I imagine . It may work in Windows 95 or even Windows 3.1 with WIN32S .