VOGONS

First post, by jefklak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

After hours of fiddling with config settings, searching through VOGONS, following various guides such as this one, and the other guy who's struggling, and I think I need some help.

So, I upgraded from a pci128 to an Audigy. First problem: old driver uninstaller crashed, so possible artifacts from the old card are left on the system.
Next, the audigy cd ISO setup + dosdrv setup + audigy VXD patch. In Device Manager, SB16 emulation and MPU-401 are all there and it all seems to work perfectly.

Well, the SB16 emulation, that is. General midi does not. It's configured on port 330, as seen in Win98 via device manager -> properteis of MPU -> resources. My autoexec contains the sbeinit.com directive and a SET BLASTER thing that gets overridden by the settings from CTSYN.INI, which also correctly states MPUPort=330.

The thing is, games like ROTT and DUKE3D correctly "initiate" Waveblaster/General Midi (no errors, like choosing the wrong port) but there's simply no sound. Nothing. Well, there is sound: the sound effects from SB16 work, but the music does not.
And then the weird thing: when I reboot in DOS mode, everything works. WTF? That means there's a windows setting somehow wrong? I tried creative's diagnostic tool (all green), MIDIs play ok, and I tried upping volumes and such. What am I missing here?

Edit: tried manually setting on port 300, same effect.
I did NOT have to reboot in MS-DOS mode with the pci128 using general midi.

Thanks for the tips!

Reply 1 of 4, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since you tried everything else, maybe try cleaning up the drivers.

Run the Audigy uninstaller, then reboot into safe mode. Device manager will list any installed driver even if the hardware isn't present. Delete any Creative sounds devices for the Audigy or SB128.

Next run regedit and delete
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Creative

Reply 2 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jefklak wrote on 2020-11-24, 14:38:

After hours of fiddling with config settings, searching through VOGONS, following various guides such as this one, and the other guy who's struggling, and I think I need some help.

If you're using my guide, it really is best to do a clean install of Windows 98 beforehand.

As I have already noted there, the likelihood of something going wrong is very high if you already have any kind of Creative drivers installed on your system.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 4, by jefklak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2020-11-26, 02:57:

Run the Audigy uninstaller, then reboot into safe mode. Device manager will list any installed driver even if the hardware isn't present. Delete any Creative sounds devices for the Audigy or SB128.

Next run regedit and delete
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Creative

Good idea, after an hour of uninstall/reinstall/reboots, MPU also stopped working in DOS mode, unless I manually switched to 330h.
In win98: no difference. I reckon there's still something there, god knows what. Still correctly recognized port, but no sound.

The thought of reinstalling the whole OS shebang is not exactly compelling...
I don't mind rebooting in DOS mode, but my USB switch with keyboard/mouse doesn't work there.

Reply 4 of 4, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A fresh install would give the best chance of success. But maybe try out the Win9X version of VDMSound.

I'm not sure about the Win9X version, but I thought the NT version installed it's own MPU401 driver that lets you select any Windows MIDI output.