VOGONS

Reply 160 of 270, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rio444 wrote on 2019-11-26, 07:16:

Many thanks to Kai (aka jaZz_KCS) for helping me translate the manual!
Without his help, you could hardly understand my clumsy English.

Do you have any left, and is it possible for you to ship to Europe in this time?

Will it work in Windows 1.01 and Windows 2.11?

Reply 161 of 270, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
martinot wrote on 2020-06-23, 22:02:

Do you have any left, and is it possible for you to ship to Europe in this time?

Yes, there are adapters available. You were the one who emailed me, weren't you?

I haven't tested it, but I think it should work. Older operating systems are less sophisticated with the serial port and mouse, so they are less sensitive to spoofing.

My e-mail Email.1569054222.png

Reply 162 of 270, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rio444 wrote on 2020-06-27, 09:23:
Yes, there are adapters available. You were the one who emailed me, weren't you? […]
Show full quote

Yes, there are adapters available. You were the one who emailed me, weren't you?

I haven't tested it, but I think it should work. Older operating systems are less sophisticated with the serial port and mouse, so they are less sensitive to spoofing.

Yes, it was me, and look forward to test and review when I get my old retro PC´s up with right environment. Thanks!

Reply 164 of 270, by Tesla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mine arrived yesterday and works perfectly !!!

@Rostov, I have to express my greatest thanks ! Once people realise how difficult it is to make something like this yourself (like : "It will never happen..."), makes people very grateful for the efford of 1 man ! It's very cheap, it works 100%, it looks cool because it IS cool !

I highly recommend this ISA-card and Rostov as a person. Now I have a flawless working PS/2 Marble Trackball on my 486/DX2-66 !!

Reply 168 of 270, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
martinot wrote on 2020-08-03, 13:39:

@Tesla + @candle_86: Great!

Waiting for mine. Seems to be stuck at Russian post offices since July 8 (sent June 29). 🙁

When did you order yours?

Update; finally got these last week (slow post offices), and so happy for that! Thanks! 😀

Reply 170 of 270, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can confirm that Socket 4 Intel Batman motherboard (and most likely all derivatives of this design) will work with PS/2 ISA adapter even without touching AMIBIOS. Which is crucial, since I can't even enter BIOS with dead RTC battery.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 171 of 270, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Rio444 do you assemble these by hand? Meaning you have a soldering iron and do each smt part? Or do you have a machine to do it?

Reply 174 of 270, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a crazy idea. So I've been doing a little on-line research into the Microsoft InPort mouse adapter (not to be confused with their earlier bus mouse adapter).

Apparently, the InPort card was built around an Intel 8255 chip, and thus processed the readings from the mouse in parallel, as opposed to serially. Also, the sampling frequency was configurable and it had a higher flexibility w.r.t. to what IRQ it could be configured to use, compared to the serial ports, which could only use either IRQ 4 or 3. The InPort card even supported an "IRQ-less" mode, which I assume would require the driver to periodically poll the card, for instance by hooking the timer interrupt. A bit more tedious to support at the driver level perhaps, but it could be a nice fallback option for systems that lack free IRQs.

Anyway, all of these features appear to make the InPort card superior to serial mice. Also, the InPort card had good support in Windows versions both old and (relatively) new. I believe even Windows XP still had an InPort mouse driver included.

As for DOS support, I know Cutemouse doesn't currently have support for Microsoft InPort cards (or such a hypothetical "compatible" device), but I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to add such support, for people who refer to use an open source mouse driver in DOS. For everyone else, you could just use the existing Microsoft InPort mouse driver for DOS.

So how feasible would it be to develop an ISA card that would be software-compatible with the Microsoft InPort mouse card, but would be hardware-compatible with PS/2 mice? Wouldn't that be better than emulating an 8250 UART chip, including the buffering, due to it being serial interface? Also, would there still be a way to support the mouse wheel that way?

Reply 177 of 270, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kuenzign wrote on 2021-01-14, 00:09:
Rio444 wrote on 2020-06-27, 09:23:

Do you still have cards for sale?

Yes, please write to me in PM.

Now adapters has a new revision - 1.2 .
Changes in revision 1.2 compared to revision 1.1:
- added support for Windows 2000 and Windows XP,
- changed layout of jumpers and marked position of jumpers to select COM3 and COM4,
- removed data rate divider 1/3 (only 1/2 and 1/4 remain),
- added the ability to select any IRQ from the range 5, 6, 7, 2/9.

Face.jpg
Filename
Face.jpg
File size
532.95 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Bracket.jpg
Filename
Bracket.jpg
File size
284.02 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Back.jpg
Filename
Back.jpg
File size
386.79 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Jumpers1.png
Filename
Jumpers1.png
File size
431.92 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Jumpers2.png
Filename
Jumpers2.png
File size
323.92 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 178 of 270, by Gharlic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, I'm a long time lurker here on Vogons.
I was searching for something like your adapter for my 486 build. I think it's pretty useful. Can I contact you by email (I can't send PM right now, cause I'm a n00b 😁).

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-01-28, 18:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 179 of 270, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gharlic wrote on 2021-01-20, 11:43:

Hi there, I'm a long time lurker here on Vogons.
I was searching for something like your adapter for my 486 build. I think it's pretty useful. Can I contact you by email (I can't send PM right now, cause I'm a n00b 😁).

Of course! If necessary everyone can write to me by e-mail (it is in the signature).

Here is a manual for rev. 1.1 and additions for rev. 1.2 https://disk.yandex.ru/d/E1auS7LUrs7wRA