VOGONS

Reply 101 of 151, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-11-07, 20:20:

sorry if I missed it, but is it possible to loop tracks?

There is no "replay" feature, if that's what you are asking about. I think the only workaround to play a single file in loop would be to create a single-entry M3U playlist and play it with the /random switch.

ECHO FILE.MID > PLAYLIST.M3U
DOSMID /random PLAYLIST.M3U

http://mateusz.viste.fr | gopher://gopher.viste.fr

Reply 103 of 151, by vladimiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mateusz.viste wrote on 2020-10-13, 07:39:
I'm glad you like it, thanks for the heads up! […]
Show full quote
sarp wrote on 2020-10-12, 21:11:

Thanks mateusz, very useful program .... Cheers mate

I'm glad you like it, thanks for the heads up!

vladimiro wrote on 2020-09-18, 20:01:

Hello, how do you change the tempo ???
by default it is 95 and they are heard slow.
Thank you!

DOSMid follows tempo instructions that are present in the MIDI stream, the tempo may change dynamically many times during the song hence making it manually adjustable does not seem to be a useful feature. Some files may miss an explicit tempo instruction, in such case DOSMid is supposed to fall back to 120 BMP, that's a recommendation I had found in some MIDI specifications. Could you please provide me an example of a MIDI file that you have troubles with (ie. that DOSMid plays too slow)? I'd be interested to take a look at it and compare the playback with a few other players.

Hi. I tested with the midi of doom 1 and 2, blood, duke nukem 3d, these last two were extracted.

Reply 104 of 151, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vladimiro wrote on 2020-12-01, 04:42:

Hi. I tested with the midi of doom 1 and 2, blood, duke nukem 3d, these last two were extracted.

The titles you mention are stored in-game in the MUS format. MUS is 140 bpm, as opposed to MIDI which is (by default) 120 bpm. Perhaps the tool you used to convert MUS files to MIDI forgot to adjust the tempo? That would explain why it plays too slow. Best would be to use the original MUS data - DOSMid supports MUS natively. But most important question: are other MIDI players playing your files correctly (without manual tempo tuning)?

Reply 105 of 151, by vladimiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mateusz.viste wrote on 2020-12-01, 06:25:
vladimiro wrote on 2020-12-01, 04:42:

The titles you mention are stored in-game in the MUS format. MUS is 140 bpm, as opposed to MIDI which is (by default) 120 bpm. Perhaps the tool you used to convert MUS files to MIDI forgot to adjust the tempo? That would explain why it plays too slow. Best would be to use the original MUS data - DOSMid supports MUS natively. But most important question: are other MIDI players playing your files correctly (without manual tempo tuning)?

Sorry, my mistake, I tried it on real hardware and it works excellent and also under dosbox with the gus, again sorry for the inconvenience.
Greetings.

Reply 106 of 151, by darkpilot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to use dosmid with ibk files to make the music sound as intended by game developer
I have converted bnk files to ibk using OPL3 Bank Editor but Dosmid gives me an error when I try to use them.

Reply 107 of 151, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darkpilot wrote on 2021-01-21, 10:12:

I have converted bnk files to ibk using OPL3 Bank Editor but Dosmid gives me an error when I try to use them.

Thanks for your report, but it could be more helpful if it included some further details. Could you please:
- tell how you execute DOSMID exactly (what command line)?
- provide the IBK file you try using?
- report the exact error message displayed by DOSMID?
- confirm you run the latest available DOSMID version (v0.9.5)?

Reply 108 of 151, by darkpilot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok looks like it was my mistake of using; instead, when telling the program what banks I want to be loaded.
But there is one more problem. I am trying to play music from Descent and using melodic and drums banks. But the music sounds totally different.
Any advice? Is it possible to make it sound just like in game?

Reply 109 of 151, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darkpilot wrote on 2021-01-21, 11:16:

Ok looks like it was my mistake of using; instead, when telling the program what banks I want to be loaded.
But there is one more problem. I am trying to play music from Descent and using melodic and drums banks. But the music sounds totally different.

Most probably the IBK files you are using contain different settings than those used by the game. Or your MIDI file has been converted/tampered with and does not reflect what the game does. Could you point where you got the music and banks files from? I could try running them out of curiosity.

Reply 110 of 151, by darkpilot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got IBK files by converting bnk files from Descent using Wohlstand's/OPL3BankEditor.
Midi files was converted from hmp file from Descent.
I have attached all files.
I wonder if there is a way to play them as in game.

Filename
DOSMID FILES.zip
File size
56.68 KiB
Downloads
86 downloads
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 111 of 151, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

My Player Mod Master now start DOSMID To play Midi files, this is then "Adding" File selection to DOSMID (Even if we can do it with Norton commander for example)

It can't play big files, as Mod Master take memory and I was not able to have DOSMID loading its .cfg file.
Then I use DOSMUD With -noxms -mpu

Read the DOSMID Config work in DOSBox, but not on me XT Computers (DOS 3.31)

Reply 112 of 151, by SkyHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would it be at all possible to get MT-32 instrument mappings in DOSMid such that when playing back MT-32 MIDI the program will show the correct instruments?

I'm not even asking for autodetection of MT-32 MIDI (Which can be troublesome), but just a command-line argument that tells the program "Show the MT-32 instruments instead of the General MIDI ones"

Reply 113 of 151, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SkyHawk wrote on 2021-08-04, 17:57:

Would it be at all possible to get MT-32 instrument mappings in DOSMid such that when playing back MT-32 MIDI the program will show the correct instruments?
I'm not even asking for autodetection of MT-32 MIDI (Which can be troublesome), but just a command-line argument that tells the program "Show the MT-32 instruments instead of the General MIDI ones"

Sounds easy. Is that really only a different mapping of instruments? No traps like percussion is on different channel or alike?
Could you provide the MT32 list, or point me at a resource where I could find it?

Reply 114 of 151, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darkpilot wrote on 2021-01-21, 11:16:

I am not sure what is up with Descent, and did not have time to setup the game to compare, but I have recently received a report from someone telling that DOSMid plays MIDI files one octave too high on the OPL chip. Perhaps this is related to your problem? Could you please test the version that I have uploaded at the URL below and see if it improves anything for you?
http://mateusz.viste.fr/tmp/dosmid-opllow/

Reply 115 of 151, by SkyHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mateusz.viste wrote on 2021-08-04, 18:39:

Sounds easy. Is that really only a different mapping of instruments? No traps like percussion is on different channel or alike?
Could you provide the MT32 list, or point me at a resource where I could find it?

MT-32 percussion is on channel 10 I think, same as General MIDI.

Some googling found these:

https://www.voidaudio.net/mtinstrument.html
https://battleofthebits.org/lyceum/View/Speci … +MT-32+patches/

If you want to go down the rabbit-hole, there were later mt-32 family devices such as the CM-32L, CM-64L, and LAPC-I that had a few additional instruments; I'm not having much luck finding out how those were mapped.

edit: Found it, LAPC-I documentation from Roland - http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/LAPC-1_OM.pdf page 8
The CM-32L effects are additional tones on Channel 10 along with the rest of the percussion.

another edit: Depending how much you want to alter the display, MT-32 compositions will only use channels 2-9+10. The MT-32 does not respond on 1 or 11-16.

hopefully last edit: It's also possible for games to send custom instruments to the MT-32; I have absolutely no idea how those are addressed or accessed, but I know they are separate instruments selectable on the synth.

hopefully super last edit: Actually, if possible, you might want to have two display lines for Channel 10:
Notes 35-75 displayed as "Percussion" or "Rythym"
Notes 76-108 on a separate line as "CM-32L Effects"

Reply 116 of 151, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SkyHawk wrote on 2021-08-04, 19:36:

hopefully last edit: It's also possible for games to send custom instruments to the MT-32; I have absolutely no idea how those are addressed or accessed, but I know they are separate instruments selectable on the synth.

MT-32 games/Midi files use SysEx messages to set custom instruments and these custom instruments simply overwrite the default ones. Without a specific SysEx parser you have no chance to find out the name of these custom instruments.
Since few MT-32 games/Midi files use only the default instrument set, I think implementing the default instruments only in DosMid will have limited benefit . Most of the time it will show wrong instrument names anyway...

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 117 of 151, by SkyHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-08-05, 02:49:

Since few MT-32 games/Midi files use only the default instrument set

That's not my experience. Almost all games use the default instruments for music reproduction. Some will use custom instruments for sound effects. A very few will use a couple of custom instruments for music.

The only game I can think off of the top of my head that used extensive custom instruments was Dune II.

edit: I'm not saying there aren't other games that did that, only that it was a fairly uncommon practice.

Reply 118 of 151, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SkyHawk wrote on 2021-08-05, 04:32:
That's not my experience. Almost all games use the default instruments for music reproduction. Some will use custom instruments […]
Show full quote
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-08-05, 02:49:

Since few MT-32 games/Midi files use only the default instrument set

That's not my experience. Almost all games use the default instruments for music reproduction. Some will use custom instruments for sound effects. A very few will use a couple of custom instruments for music.
edit: I'm not saying there aren't other games that did that, only that it was a fairly uncommon practice.

Sorry to say, but you are wrong. Here is the rather short list of All games that do NOT use custom instruments. All the other ones do (many hundreds).

• Leisure Suit Larry 2,
    Legend of Kyrandia 1 (except for one instrument),
    King's Quest IV,
    Budokan, Ultima VI,
    Bad Blood,
    Simon the Sorcerer,
    Loom,
    Monkey Island 1,
    Dune,
    KGB/Conspiracy,
    Spellcasting 101: Sorcerers Get All The Girls,
    Spellcasting 201: The Sorcerer's Appliance,
    Timequest,
    Gateway,
    Spellcasting 301: Spring Break,
    Eric the Unready,
    Gateway 2 - Homeworld,
    Companions of Xanth,
    Death Gate,
    Superhero League of Hoboken

List of games that use MT-32 default instruments
https://minirevver.weebly.com/mt-32-music.html

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 119 of 151, by SkyHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-08-05, 07:12:
Sorry to say, but you are wrong. Here is the rather short list of All games that do NOT use custom instruments. All the other on […]
Show full quote

Sorry to say, but you are wrong. Here is the rather short list of All games that do NOT use custom instruments. All the other ones do (many hundreds).

List of games that use MT-32 default instruments
https://minirevver.weebly.com/mt-32-music.html

I take some exception to that list. Just off the top of my head, in no particular order:

• Operation Neptune
    Wing Commander [Custom sound effects only, nothing used for music]
    Wing Commander II [Custom sound effects only, nothing used for music]
    Ultima Underworld [Custom sound effects only, nothing used for music]
    Ultima Underworld II [Custom sound effects only, nothing used for music]
    X-Wing [Custom sound effects only, nothing used for music. No custom sounds in CD edition]
    TIE Fighter
    Loopz
    X-Com: UFO Defense
    Terror From The Deep
    Star Control

edit: To try to keep this on-topic, I'd argue that having DOSMid display MT-32 instrument names that might sometimes be incorrect, is better than having it display General MIDI instrument names that will always be incorrect.