VOGONS

First post, by Durandal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, I just finished replacing the capacitors in my IBM PS/55 Type 5551 and its hard drive, and to my surprise everything is working perfectly. The drive has an unknown version of Japanese DOS on it that doesn't want to boot for whatever reason, but it's accessible when booting PC-DOS from a floppy and I would very much like to preserve it in its entirety before wiping it for a regular PC-DOS installation.

Does anyone know of a program that will run on a 386DX-20 with 1920KB RAM and let me create an image of the entire hard drive? I've got an external BackPack HD parallel port hard drive that mounts as drive D:, so the program must be able to write the image to that.

And failing that, is using XCOPY acceptable? Could there be hidden files on the drive that it would miss?

Hoping for some help on this soon as I'd like to enjoy using this PS/55 over Christmas for some classic 386 DOS games. 😁

Cheers,
- Jordan

Reply 1 of 7, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does PC-DOS have its own backup app?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 7, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is an app called ImageDisk 1.18 that is open source and can be downloaded from www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

The readme file only mentions floppies, so it's not clear whether it can backup hard drives, but I imagine it can as it works on any file system.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 7, by verysaving

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What size the hard disk is?

Back in the days I used an old version of
GHOST (before NORTON bought it) and it was
working very fine, working even with a
lapling cable via LPT.

I've cloned lot of old drives with MHDD,
the command TOF writes a specified number
of sectors of source drive to a destination
file on another path (as long as there aren't
bad sectors on source).

MHDD is freeware and can be get from here

https://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

but I don't remember if last version works on
a 386. Should try an older version but it can
be not easy to find.

Reply 4 of 7, by Durandal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2020-12-02, 08:54:

There is an app called ImageDisk 1.18 that is open source and can be downloaded from www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

The readme file only mentions floppies, so it's not clear whether it can backup hard drives, but I imagine it can as it works on any file system.

verysaving wrote on 2020-12-03, 02:21:
What size the hard disk is? […]
Show full quote

What size the hard disk is?

Back in the days I used an old version of
GHOST (before NORTON bought it) and it was
working very fine, working even with a
lapling cable via LPT.

I've cloned lot of old drives with MHDD,
the command TOF writes a specified number
of sectors of source drive to a destination
file on another path (as long as there aren't
bad sectors on source).

MHDD is freeware and can be get from here

https://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

but I don't remember if last version works on
a 386. Should try an older version but it can
be not easy to find.

Thank for the responses guys, I tried an old version of Norton Ghost and it locked up so I ended up using XCOPY from a DR-DOS floppy I had laying around - I'm pretty sure it got all of the file, the folder had the exact same number of files and occupied space as CHKDSK reported on the original HDD. It's a 30MB hard drive by the way.

It looks like that version of MHDD can run on a 386 but you need 4MB RAM. Next time I'll give ImageDisk a try, I could have sworn it requires more than 1920KB RAM as well though.

Here's a photo of the full setup in case anyone is curious 😜 Japanese IBM PS/55 machines didn't ship with Model Ms, they used 5576 series keyboard but I don't have one of those at the moment. I was concerned that the Japanese BIOS might not like the Texelec Adlib clone because it hadn't been tested in a PS/55, but it works great!

ynELk4o.jpg

Reply 5 of 7, by verysaving

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ghost.exe has several command line options to deal with locking problems when accessing the hard disk.
ghost.exe -? should give you a list.
I used the dos version a lot backupping Win9X systems, and from time to time had to disable direct access
to disk to make it work.

I found this old version of MHDD that should work with older PC.
http://cz.nnhost.ru/soft/HDD/mhdd2.9/

BTW good job with XCOPY.

Reply 6 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Durandal wrote on 2020-12-05, 11:31:

Here's a photo of the full setup in case anyone is curious 😜 Japanese IBM PS/55 machines didn't ship with Model Ms, they used 5576 series keyboard but I don't have one of those at the moment. I was concerned that the Japanese BIOS might not like the Texelec Adlib clone because it hadn't been tested in a PS/55, but it works great!

Looks Great !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 7, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice PC!

You can use Norton Diskedit (DOS, part of Norton Utilities) for creating 1:1 images of floppies and hard disks. Select a physical device and then you can select somewhere "save to file" or similar. Then you select a file on your 2nd HD and it creates a standard disk image which can be mounted on a modern PC, too.

Xcopy will copy all files, but it will be difficult to find a way to boot this rare DOS Version again with such backup.