VOGONS

First post, by Unite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was working on my PC Chips M912 again this evening getting ready to drop a VLB IO card in there. The system was working 100% at the weekend but opened her up, installed the card, powered up to no display and lots of beeps. So removed the card powered on again but still no display. The beeps changed to 1 solid followed by 3 short. The weird thing is that the system continues to boot.

Specs:
M912 motherboard modded with 512kb of real cache.
Cyrix DX2-66
16MB of 72pin simms
S3 VLB graphics
generic crystal sound card
generic network card
PT607G IO card

The other VLB IO card I tried is an ST300ALI.

I've tried removing the sound card and network card, changed the system memory and even removed the 1mb ram expansion from the S3. None of this makes any difference. If I change out to another ISA video card (not vlb) the system boots without a beep but I get no display but I'm not sure if this card works or not.

Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 9, by ZombieMatrix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did your system previously have a VLB card installed or was that something new you were using on your motherboard? Seems like I recall a few motherboards I've come across had settings to enable and disable the VL-bus.

Reply 4 of 9, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/572
JP16 close to get 1 wait state on the VLB, maybe the card doesn't like the bus speed that you are running at.

Start with ONLY the video card in there to see if you can make it give a picture again. I suppose you don't have any other monitor to test with either?

Reply 5 of 9, by Unite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please delete this thread, I am an idiot of the highest proportions.

The VGA cable fell out of the back of the monitor and I didn't notice.

Just spent the last hour in a full panic and it was the comment about trying another monitor that made me see it.

Reply 6 of 9, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey these things happen to us all. I've forgotten to ether plug in the computer or flip the switch on the power supply and have a minor heart attack when the system won't turn on

Reply 7 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

None of us have eve had that happen before... nope, never.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 9, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH the horror of being reminded to ones own stupid mistakes!!! In my what is it, 30 odd years interacting with computers I have knocked out cables, connectors, CPUs, memory, add-in cards and whatnot.

Trust me if I tell you: I have the utmost respect for you being honest about it.

And congrats on having a working M912 with real cache. That too.