VOGONS

Reply 80 of 103, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Anyone recognise this? There's one for sale (for $10!) on my local site:

I really, really don't need it, and I really, really want it, partly because of this stupid thread which I started so it's my own dumb fault. I'd love to do a build like Wiretap's on the first page though. 😀 Is it a custom job, or did some case maker out there actually produce these for retail?

I think they are fun and I would buy it in a heartbeat for that price.
There were a number of brands on the market in the past. Sunbeam, Nhowe and Logisys are some names. It is difficult to find info on them nowadays.

Reply 81 of 103, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cases_computer_340series_translucent_cases.jpg
Filename
cases_computer_340series_translucent_cases.jpg
File size
14.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I totally want this keyboard, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere else, and it doesn't look like the ordering system on this website is still working:
https://aiyamicro.com/legacy-products/cases_computer.htm

Keyboard part # is KB101P - but that could just be the part number on this website, I literally can't find anything anywhere else. Maybe one day I'll take a trip down to Computer Reset, they've probably got a box with dozens of them unopened 🤣

Reply 82 of 103, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yay! This thread is back! Keep it going guys. I am such a sucker for translucent colored plastic. And dude, $10 for that acrylic case, why are you not driving to go pick it up right now?

Also because of this thread, I ended up getting four Xboxen: Clear crystal, Green Halo, Blue Halo, and the Japanese smoke gray one. I'll post a glamour shot when I get done sorting out PSU issues and getting them all fitted with soft-modded SSDs. There's a Halo LAN party in my future...

Reply 85 of 103, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This one keeps popping up on my ebay "People who viewed this item also viewed" feed. it's nice but I'm not in the market. looks cool tho:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MacEffects-CLEAR-App … 31/274318165934

clear-mac-mouse.jpg
Filename
clear-mac-mouse.jpg
File size
204.03 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 87 of 103, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
beastlike wrote on 2020-04-14, 01:22:

This one keeps popping up on my ebay "People who viewed this item also viewed" feed. it's nice but I'm not in the market. looks cool tho:
clear-mac-mouse.jpg

That is something else... It looks like an ADB mouse from a classic B&W Mac but that was LONG before Apple jumped on the clear plastic horse. Wonder what its origin is - was this an official Apple product or a knockoff? Or did they actually make a "prison Mac"? Nice find!

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 89 of 103, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this weird Zalman fan controller a while back.
It's a bit dusty and the knobs need some polishing.

zalman_cooler.jpg
Filename
zalman_cooler.jpg
File size
156.76 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Looks like it was released in 2003.
I have it hooked up to four Noctua fans, the red controls are just for show and do nothing at the moment.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 91 of 103, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
beastlike wrote on 2020-04-14, 01:22:

clear-mac-mouse.jpg

It's funny how the whole world calls this shape of mice "tank" and in Poland it's called "coffin". Polish people are so defeatist...

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 92 of 103, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Translucent design loses too much appeal when the device needs to be shielded... Aka, all high frequency electronics. Like almost all the existing stuff these days. In these cases, the only thing you see thought the case is a damn dull aluminum box.
That's a possible technical reason why it got ditched I guess.

Reply 93 of 103, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Translucent colored plastic always makes things look cheap to me.
I had (until recently) a green iMac, and still have 1 or 2 Imation LS120 external enclosures, but both those things were already pictured on the 1st page.
I looked around and found this significant addition to the thread though.

translucent_pencil_sharpener.jpg
Filename
translucent_pencil_sharpener.jpg
File size
29.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I guess it's practical to see when it gets full.

I remember a small niche in the 80s-early 90s for transparent plastic on random things. I had a kickass yo-yo with ball bearings in it that was clear because why not. That thing would sleep for days.
The Apple IIc came with a floppy disk "tour" of how the computer works inside. The dialog talked about a "special" version of the IIc with a clear cover. At the time I thought that was a real thing and was wishing we had that. Even worse, I thought maybe they were talking about the ventilation slits on the top and was trying to look through them. Couldn't see a damn thing.

Clear plastic was definitely around earlier, but I don't remember seeing *colored* clear plastic on anything popular before the iMac G3. Maybe the Game Boy? I don't know the timeline on those.

Reply 94 of 103, by A001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How does one take care of these overly brittle plastics and prevent their degradation as well as stop possible small cracks from getting larger?

What kind of glue or treatment/maintenance should be used? Hot water, heat gun?

Reply 95 of 103, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
A001 wrote on 2022-07-14, 22:43:

How does one take care of these overly brittle plastics and prevent their degradation as well as stop possible small cracks from getting larger?

What kind of glue or treatment/maintenance should be used? Hot water, heat gun?

Plastics do age, giving off plasticisers, soaking with moisture from air, degrading because of UV. You can't really fix polymer structure once it's damaged. So generally - not exposing them to direct sunlight, keeping them in cool, low moisture place is the best idea. As for trying fixing the with a heat gun - it's a horrible idea. Hot water won't do much (even boiling water). As for the glues - depends on plastics. For ABS acetone mixed with some ABS chips is a good solution. As for the translucent plexiglass/acrylic glass - there are glues made specially for hard plastics like this.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 96 of 103, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some more translucent things! 🙂

Attachments

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 97 of 103, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 1997 Siemens Scenic Pro M5 has a fancy (as fancy as german engineering would allow) translucent sliding door.

2022-07-25 14.14.26.jpg
Filename
2022-07-25 14.14.26.jpg
File size
1.38 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 98 of 103, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's another item, one of these translucenct portable B/W TVs.

Attachments

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 99 of 103, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2022-08-12, 20:26:

My 1997 Siemens Scenic Pro M5 has a fancy (as fancy as german engineering would allow) translucent sliding door.

2022-07-25 14.14.26.jpg

Me too! (...have translucent sliding door)

Attachments

• aliviob.jpg
    Filename
    aliviob.jpg
    File size
    27.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • alivioa.jpg
    Filename
    alivioa.jpg