Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 642 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I send you a version displaying more things during the SB Detection, can you test it and take a photo of what is displayed ?
I checked b19 v b24 SB Code, they are really close.

Attachments

Reply 643 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh I have not seen the detection problem was fixed.
I will need to add again the automatic .CFG reset if not in the same version...

With the Beta 24, it should display the ESS Version ( I intended to add 16Bit support on ESS, but put the idea for later...)

Reply 644 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

Some Bug Fix and improvements:

09/12/2020 Beta 25
- GUS is now working, but Interwave does not work yet.
- Corrected a Sound Blaster 16 Problem.
- Improved the Notes frequencies for mixed outputs.
- Improved the Speed precision for all the mixed output (With a really small performance reduction)

The .S3M Bug was the compressed pattern size > Not compressed size.

Attachments

• Filename
    MODMXT25.zip
    File size
    145.3 KiB
    Downloads
    121 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 645 of 929, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perfect! It fixed loading that file and Gravis works again also, thanks!

Oh, and I did send the SB-testing version to my colleague yesterday also, to report back with the startup screen - even though it's working by now. That was mostly for curiosity's sake 😀)

Reply 647 of 929, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I very much look forward to your explanation, in your own words.

Also, a description of how you deal with high mixing demand (ie. what happens as farther buffers get exhausted: Raising the volume threshold of a channel to be heard, stopping mixing into the current buffer if it needs to be played next, etc.) would also be good, as I don't think I've seen a player that has ever done that.

Reply 648 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Multiple articles will be needed then 😀

I think no player did it because it was not really needed, If we wanted to play better a module, we only had to purchase a faster machine, and the computers evolution was fast at that time.

The technique to decrease the "output" quality will be more simple to explain now, I changed it to simplify the Tandy DAC Code and allow to change the number of pre calculated buffer with a variable.
Before It had a counter telling the nb of buffer Not mixed vs the target, now It count the number of buffer mixed in advance.
So, Mod Master now pre calculate 6 or more buffers (It was 5 before the Tandy DAC code)

This technique allow to absorb performance Peaks, like all the channels playing a looped sample at the same time.
Also, lot of 8 channels or more module use the maximum number of channels for some short period, this help a lot in this case.

It is the case for a module I recorded on the Tandy DAC (For a future video), it is a 16 Channels module, playing more often at less than 8
This technique with the max mixed channels number technique allow to play it quite well ( I don't remember the rate)
Anyway, more than 8 Channels modules are not good in 8Bit, the more we add channels, the more the sound quality decrease.

Reply 649 of 929, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is the number of buffers tunable? (for lower latency, and I think you know where I'm going with this)

I agree that there are rapidly diminishing returns when your channels exceed the number of bits in your PCM output.

Reply 650 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MobyGamer wrote on 2020-12-12, 04:58:

Is the number of buffers tunable? (for lower latency, and I think you know where I'm going with this)

I agree that there are rapidly diminishing returns when your channels exceed the number of bits in your PCM output.

Yes, it is a variable now, but there is a minimum we can't go below or we need to remove the code reducing the minimal volume if too slow...

Reply 651 of 929, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still have b18 on one Machine and found out if i switch the CPU to 486SX25 it will play in slow motion on covox,
if i add back the 5x86 CPU its fine haha 😀
Sounds really special!

i really should Upgrade it !

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 653 of 929, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While you're at it:

I've just been listening to one more of my favorites from Necros: Starchips (a very fun chiptune remake of PM's Starshine):
https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view … eid&query=69994

Playing it in MODM (compared to e.g. OCP or IT), I can hear a hanging note (e.g. end of pattern 12) and it seems to be lacking some accoustic 'finesse', which I cannot really put my finger on (maybe the vibrato or volume slide being somehow different....?)

Reply 654 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I checked and it is difficult to say.

for the hanging note, it is the same sample played on 3 different channels, with the same note and the volumes are correct on Mod Master.
If a sample played on 3 channels, the volume is added. I don't understand why ST3, impulse tracker and CP play it at a lower volume, I don't have access to the channels volume value.

Reply 656 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
Happy new year to all.

Check out my last Youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwOF1NRfZRo

I also added an interesting feature to Mod Master (Simple to code) It can start DOSMID to play Midi.

Reply 657 of 929, by alsgeeklab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I downloaded the latest version of MODM. I use it with my XT which has a 286 daughtercard, so the performance is somewhere similar to a 6MHz AT. It has a UMB so some drivers are loaded high (in non allocated areas of RAM).

MODM runs OK, however on some of the more complicated MODs, the machine is definitely having a lot of performance issues: music becomes corrupt/choppy. The screen doesn't refresh much either, nor does the keyboard take input until it is free.

You have an 8088 @ 4.77 in your below video which seems to perform heaps better. What could I be doing wrong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcP1QnfCVvw&pbjreload=101

Cheers,
Alistair

Al's Geeek Lab - The YouTube channel for retro reviews, tech topics, informative infosec and other geeky goodness!
https://www.youtube.com/alsgeeklab
Social Media: https://linktr.ee/alsgeeklab

Reply 659 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

It is normal, you linked the Atari PC2 with Gravis UltraSound 😀
The Soundcard is doing the mixing so it can go up to 32 channels without problem.

What is the music, output device and mixing frequency ?

you can press Right/Left key to configure a mix frequency for each music