VOGONS

First post, by Perro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Which cpu models with built-in speakers? I'm looking for one that a friend had and I can't remember the model.

Example

DcfF2hdVwAAcgdy.jpg
Filename
DcfF2hdVwAAcgdy.jpg
File size
111.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 3 of 14, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-12-09, 01:17:

I had this Pentium 133 back in the day:

CPU_Speaker.jpg

🤣

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 7 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

.. Back in time, in the main frame era, a Central Processing Unit (CPU) or Arithmetic-Logic Unit (ALU) was housed in a separate chassis.
I guess that's why some people call a PC or computer case a "CPU".
It's not entirely wrong, if we consider the PC as the main unit and the monitor, printer and mouse etc as peripherals or auxiliary devices.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 14, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-12-10, 09:30:

.. Back in time, in the main frame era, a Central Processing Unit (CPU) or Arithmetic-Logic Unit (ALU) was housed in a separate chassis.
It's not entirely wrong, if we consider the PC as the main unit and the monitor, printer and mouse etc as peripherals or auxiliary devices.

No, most people that call it a CPU never laid eyes on a mainframe back in the day, they are just ill informed.

Reply 9 of 14, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Eh, all the processing is done in the chassis so it's a more understandable metonym in casual circles than calling it the hard drive (as my mother does).

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 10 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-12-10, 18:51:

No, most people that call it a CPU never laid eyes on a mainframe back in the day, they are just ill informed.

Hm, well, I honestly don't know for sure as to why some people still call it that way.
The few I know that do are often using an outdated vocabulary also, however.
So it made sense to me that they still use definitions of an era gone by.

The most recent example that comes to mind are these PC case holders with wheels or mountings that can be positioned under a desk.
These are also being referred to as "CPU holders" often.

px_cpu.jpg
Filename
px_cpu.jpg
File size
10.33 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Computer professionals involved with mainframes refer to the entire computer as the CPU."
Source: https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/cpu

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 14, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-12-10, 19:37:
Hm, well, I honestly don't know for sure as to why some people still call it that way. The few I know that do are often using an […]
Show full quote
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-12-10, 18:51:

Hm, well, I honestly don't know for sure as to why some people still call it that way.
The few I know that do are often using an outdated vocabulary also, however.
So it made sense to me that they still use definitions of an era gone by.

The most recent example that comes to mind are these PC case holders with wheels or mountings that can be positioned under a desk.
These are also being referred to as "CPU holders" often.

px_cpu.jpg

"Computer professionals involved with mainframes refer to the entire computer as the CPU."
Source: https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/cpu

I dont think making that mistake is a crime, It's just a lack of specific knowledge...I only made the jpg image for laughs, not to make fun of anyone.

Reply 12 of 14, by Perro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I didn't want to create any controversy. I have always called the box cpu. I grew up with an IBM PS / 1 and always differentiated its parts like this: cpu, monitor, keyboard and mouse. If it's a misnomer, I got it back in 1991. I am also sorry for my English.