VOGONS

First post, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found this 486 DX-33 computer that has been lying in my attic for 20 years. Some understadable rust and a leaked battery. Had to fix one broken keyboard trace with wire. It still looks bad but works so far.
Just wondering if DX2-66 could be used with this board. Should be possible because DX2-66 seems to have internal clock multiplier. There is at least one jumper (J12) and jumper array (JPX1). Chipset is SIS 401/402.

It looks quite similar to this SOYO in the following thread, but with less jumpers Strange problem with 486 motherboard

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 1 of 6, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes the common 5v DX2-66 will work fine in the board, just be careful to get a heat sync and remember that the cpu takes a lot of force to dislodge.

It is also possible that a DX40/50 or even certain dx2-80s might work

Reply 3 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fool wrote on 2020-12-16, 19:32:

I found this 486 DX-33 computer that has been lying in my attic for 20 years. Some understadable rust and a leaked battery. Had to fix one broken keyboard trace with wire. It still looks bad but works so far.
Just wondering if DX2-66 could be used with this board. Should be possible because DX2-66 seems to have internal clock multiplier. There is at least one jumper (J12) and jumper array (JPX1). Chipset is SIS 401/402.

It looks quite similar to this SOYO in the following thread, but with less jumpers Strange problem with 486 motherboard

Can you save the BIOS to a file please ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 6, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you!
Actually pictures on that page does not match. Jumper set is different. Could be just a different rev. My board (rev 2.2) looks much like the one in the picture.
Here are better pictures and a dumped BIOS from 27C512 .

I decided to leave it as it is. I already own several DX2/DX4 and a TX486DLC-40 so this DX-33 will be a nice addition.

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 5 of 6, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well well, you discover new things everyday. The Soyo board I linked seems to be almost identical to an Abit AX4:

http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/67

Your BIOS reveals the manufacturer ID to actually be 1247, which is Abit (this means your board is the AX4 linked above, not the Soyo).

Capture.PNG