VOGONS

First post, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

By chance, would anyone happen to have an image of the straight WH386SX-D BIOS for this board? I have the Leading Edge WinPro version, and unfortunately its BIOS is super locked-down. I can't even change the bus dividers! 😖

I looked all over the internet and couldn't find a dump of its BIOS anywhere at all.

The WH386SX-D I have, came with the one ISA slot missing, but I soldered one in. I also replaced the Ti486SLC-25 CPU with an AMD Am386SX-40 because it was obvious the BIOS wasn't correctly setting up the 486SLC's cache at POST, causing all kinds of weird, glitchy behavior that magically went away when I turned off the CPU internal cache. I also fitted 64KB of motherboard cache as well.

Thanks!

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 1 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have this bios, but can you image yours ? It could help a lot !

We have infos about that board here http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/2104

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have this board too - IIRC it comes with a normal AMIBIOS
I can check Monday morning if that helps - it's stored at office atm

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 6, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@keropi: That would be great, if it isn't too much trouble. Thanks!

@Deksor: Sure, let me extract the chip out of my computer... might take a bit because some stuff arose...

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 4 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2020-12-19, 09:39:

I don't have this bios, but can you image yours ? It could help a lot !

We have infos about that board here http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/2104

Here is my board + bios so that they can be added to the site , cpu is a 486SLC33
Anyone having a similar 486SLC system (at least with the uncommon winbond chipset) keep in mind that you have to populate all 4 simm slots to get the full bandwidth out of it
Also the jumpers pictured allow for 64kb of cache and non-parity ram usage - I experimented with these since TH99 wasn't exactly correct on these (at least with my board)

edit , found my notes

JP7:
open = internal L1 cache enabled
closed = internal L1 cache disabled

JP9:
1+2 = ram parity enabled
2+3 = ram parity disabled

JP5:
1+2 = L2 cache 32k x8
2+3 = L2 cache 8k x8

J60l7RJl.jpg

full res link: https://mega.nz/file/4UsCBYDa#lGvb4m9Jh-sR40w … tILmKrUEvYVWR8s

Attachments

• Filename
    WH386SX-D_rev1.0_AMIBIOS.zip
    File size
    37.06 KiB
    Downloads
    35 downloads
    File comment
    WH386SX-D rev1.0 AMIBIOS M27C512
    File license
    Public domain

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 6, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the file! Unfortunately that's a WinPro BIOS 🙁 The search for a non-WinPro BIOS continues...
Though the one you shared, seems to have been geared for the 33 MHz version of the CPU at least... mine was locked down to 25MHz timings.
Seems I was wrong with that assumption... AMISETUP is determining the DMA clock to be 5.5 MHz. (Against a DMA clock divider of SCLK/2). So maybe the bus is running at 11 MHz?

As promised, here's my 486SLC-25 tuned BIOS for the WinPro version of this board.

Attachments

• Filename
    WH386SX_486SLC25_.zip
    File size
    36.75 KiB
    Downloads
    29 downloads
    File comment
    For the 486SLC-25 version
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 6, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A bit of a necropost, but I discovered this board was also used in the Olivetti PCS30 SX/40.
If anyone would be so good as to dump the BIOS of that machine's board, that would be of great help. 😀