VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by LittleBubble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This was one of my favorite games back then in the Win98 Era played it on a 266Mhz Cyrix with voodoo3.
This game is notoriously hard to get it run on other video cards however lucky for me I'm an owner for a Voodoo3 16MB model again so I thought I give it a go. Build is Athlon XP + Voodoo 3 AGP + Win98SE + DirectX 7.0a + Voodoo 3 latest whql driver.

Whether I install 1.3 patch or not there is 1 bug which keeps recurring and makes the game literally unplayable. On some terrains when the heli tries to pickup ammo/health then it slows down to the level it takes minutes for it to pick it up and the controls are completely unresponsive in the meanwhile the fuel keeps counting down so because of this sometimes you waste half tank of fuel or you even die.

The same thing can happen if there is a higher terrain the heli just slows down like hell it cannot move then it gets unstuck.

Also there is a minor bug that the menu itself running like it would be on a 10Ghz processor fast as crazy but this does not affect the gameplay itself.

Did anyone run into these and manage to find a solution which at least makes it possible to complete the game?

With this bug I can't even get through level 1.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 2, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LittleBubble wrote on 2020-09-10, 10:05:

Whether I install 1.3 patch or not there is 1 bug which keeps recurring and makes the game literally unplayable. On some terrains when the heli tries to pickup ammo/health then it slows down to the level it takes minutes for it to pick it up and the controls are completely unresponsive in the meanwhile the fuel keeps counting down so because of this sometimes you waste half tank of fuel or you even die.

The same thing can happen if there is a higher terrain the heli just slows down like hell it cannot move then it gets unstuck.

That is the problem when the game was running at very high frame rate. I can reproduce the bug on QEMU. By capping the frame rate to 35FPS, the bug did not show up. For real machine, you have to figure out if the driver support more than 1 vsync to keep the game at 30FPS, assuming your system is fast enough to lock at 60FPS when vsync is enabled.

Reply 2 of 2, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LittleBubble wrote on 2020-09-10, 10:05:
This was one of my favorite games back then in the Win98 Era played it on a 266Mhz Cyrix with voodoo3. This game is notoriously […]
Show full quote

This was one of my favorite games back then in the Win98 Era played it on a 266Mhz Cyrix with voodoo3.
This game is notoriously hard to get it run on other video cards however lucky for me I'm an owner for a Voodoo3 16MB model again so I thought I give it a go. Build is Athlon XP + Voodoo 3 AGP + Win98SE + DirectX 7.0a + Voodoo 3 latest whql driver.

Also there is a minor bug that the menu itself running like it would be on a 10Ghz processor fast as crazy but this does not affect the gameplay itself.

Did anyone run into these and manage to find a solution which at least makes it possible to complete the game?

With this bug I can't even get through level 1.

Thanks

Try limiting your FPS to 30 or 25 through driver if possible or by using MSI afterburner

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058