VOGONS

First post, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I'm having a strange problem with NFS2SE on my WinME machine: some seconds after starting a race, the colors go all trippy. They last like that during all the race (the game plays fine though). After the race finishes, the colors are restored. Couple videos to better understand the issue:

https://youtu.be/pfcx9OuyO7Q

https://youtu.be/PL1FhxMFWEo

Now, this is not hardware-related, because this same machine, when booted on Windows 2000, plays the game perfectly. Machine specs are:

CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz
RAM: 512MB RAM
HDD: 80GB mechanical HDD
Motherboard: Intel D845GEBV2
Video: nVidia GeForce 2 MX400 64MB AGP
Sound: Soundblaster Live! 5.1 PCI
OS: Windows ME, all official drivers installed, no exclamation marks on hardware manager, no unofficial patches installed

I tried using several old versions of the video drivers, but nothing seems to fix this. Interesting is: this is the ONLY game that acts strange. I have several others installed (the usual: Quake 2, Unreal, LucasArts' Jedi Knight, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island 3 and 4, NFS 3, 4 and Porsche), and none of them exhibit a single problem.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 12, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

I did some tests and found something interesting (but not very useful):

- I replaced the GeForce 2 MX400 with a TNT2 M64 32MB AGP and the issue is still there.
- The issue also happens on "Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II", however it is not during gameplay, but only on the save game screen and it does not happen always.
- I tried updating the nVidia drivers, but that solved nothing and it broke Need for Speed III, so i had to revert drivers back.

Any idea on what can be causing this?

Reply 2 of 12, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try selecting different colour bitrates and/or refresh rates.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 3 of 12, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
texterted wrote on 2020-12-22, 20:05:

Try selecting different colour bitrates and/or refresh rates.

Hi, thanks for the idea, however I tried 256 colors, as well as 16 and 32 bit colors but the problem persists.

Reply 5 of 12, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ha! Déjà vu!
This was actually one of the issues that I had with Win ME when I tested it 20 years ago. I remember trying to find a solution at the time and failing miserably. The only "solution" that worked for me was to restore my trusty Win 98SE. 😉

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 6 of 12, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2020-12-25, 07:09:

try 98se instead of me

bloodem wrote on 2020-12-25, 12:32:

Ha! Déjà vu!
This was actually one of the issues that I had with Win ME when I tested it 20 years ago. I remember trying to find a solution at the time and failing miserably. The only "solution" that worked for me was to restore my trusty Win 98SE. 😉

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I really tried to give ME the benefit of the doubt, assuming its bad reputation was product of something other than the OS itself, but I guess I was wrong. I really like its appearance though and the fact that it includes USB storage support from the start, but if it can't be made to work with NFS2SE (one of my favorite games), it may have to go. I was thinking about the possibility of using a GLIDE wrapper with NFS2SE, but so far this has also failed. Well, I'll find another HDD and try installing Win98SE, however I'm pretty sure the result will be that it works correctly.

Reply 7 of 12, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm afraid that... yeah, Win ME is really as bad as they say 😁
Don't get me wrong, it can be a decent OS for certain use cases, but it was never suitable for me - which is why I stayed with Win98SE until late 2002, when WinXP SP1 came out (and during that time I also had a major PC upgrade). 😀 And once I switched to XP... I never looked back.
The irony is that, years later, I was one of the (probably few?) Windows Vista early adopters, and I actually liked it, so stayed with it until Windows 8 was released 😁 Now that I think about it, it's a shame that I don't have any retro PC with Vista, I really gotta fix that...

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 8 of 12, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe have a go with the "modern patch"?

https://verokster.blogspot.com/2019/11/need-f … tion-patch.html

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 9 of 12, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
texterted wrote on 2020-12-25, 18:43:

That's a nice option for playing the game, however I'd like to play it in its original form, which is why I try to make it work without patches. Thanks for the idea though.

Reply 10 of 12, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally, reinstalled Windows 98SE (instead of ME) and of course the issue got solved. Damn Windows ME, I guess it is as crappy as i had thought all these years (had never used it back in the day).

Reply 11 of 12, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you can do the 98se2me thingy, if you can't live without the GUI improvements. But besides those i don't se how ME is any better than 98se since it can't run any newer programs, plus you already know 98se can have the USB patched among other things.

Reply 12 of 12, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-01-15, 02:35:

you can do the 98se2me thingy, if you can't live without the GUI improvements. But besides those i don't se how ME is any better than 98se since it can't run any newer programs, plus you already know 98se can have the USB patched among other things.

I do like the WinME GUI, because it looks (and sounds) like Windows 2000, which brings good memories for me, however I can live without that, then choose some of the Win98 themes and be done with it. The main convenience I like about WinME vs Win98 is that it has native support for USB drives, whereas with Win98 it is required to install nusb 3.6 (or was it 3.3?). Anyway, now that i have Win98SE, I'm not going back to ME 😀