VOGONS

First post, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Coppermine core CPUs go up in smoke within seconds without a heatsink but what about Tualatin core CPUs?
I want to buy a few untested Tualerons and I'd like to know it they have overheating protection or not.

Reply 1 of 27, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't expect them to last long without a heatsink.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 27, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it has thermal protection then the CPU will shut down to prevent damage. For example it's impossible to simply cook a s775 Celeron as it will shut down when the core temperature reaches a certain point. But was this technology used in Tualatin core CPUs? These have a metal heatspreader so you can't really tell by looking at it.

Reply 4 of 27, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Miphee wrote on 2021-01-01, 03:14:

If it has thermal protection then the CPU will shut down to prevent damage. For example it's impossible to simply cook a s775 Celeron as it will shut down when the core temperature reaches a certain point. But was this technology used in Tualatin core CPUs? These have a metal heatspreader so you can't really tell by looking at it.

NO ! all soc 775 had good internal thermal shut down. Not the same as a soc 370 (basically none) and P4's which had limited.
Your Intel Tualatin has no internal thermal shutdowns AFAIK, fried a few P3 soc370 because of heatsink failures.
They were far worse than AMD Socket A for thermal death.... just my experience and opinion..
I do not care what that Utube shows. WHy because they halted the Intels as soon as the video monitor showed artifacts but kept the AMD running,,,
hmmm not a fair comparison as I know that p3 soc370 would be dead if they let it go the same amount of time.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 27, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's convincing but I burned a Celeron 700 a few years back because I forgot to install the heatsink and the CPU core cracked.
Did it again to a Celeron 600 because I was too lazy to install the heatsink and I just wanted to see if the diagnostic card recognizes it. It was on for a second and it was enough to kill it, smelled really bad.
I just don't trust "untested" but don't want to miss out on good deals.
Maybe the heatspreader is enough to protect the core a little better.

Reply 6 of 27, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-01-01, 03:29:

fried a few P3 soc370 because of heatsink failures.

Yup, did the same thing and all it took was a second and the chip died.
I just don't want to buy yet another faulty CPU sold as untested. Too bad 90% of sold CPUs are untested here. 😒

Reply 8 of 27, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Too bad I can't find a picture anywhere that features a burned Tualatin with the heatspreader on. (discolorations, burn marks, anything).
So it's a hit or miss game but that's what untested is all about.
Thanks guys.

Reply 9 of 27, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PIII overheat protection relies on how fast motherboard can react to temperature increase. Exposed cores have higher chance of frying, especially the ones with higher TDP. Tualatin has IHS combined with lower TDP, so motherboard has enough time to react.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 27, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any reason you don't want to use a heatsink and test them safely?

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 12 of 27, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-01, 18:32:

As in it would be pretty easy just to place a loose heat sink on top of the cpu if it's placed horizontally?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 13 of 27, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2021-01-01, 03:23:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRn8ri9tKf8

PIII freezes if it overheats. P4 slows down. Both cases CPU unharmed.

PIII does nothing by itself when it overheats. But PIII has an integrated temperature sensor, which can be read by a sensor interface chip on the mainboard. The processor itself does only expose the raw analog sensor to some pins, so there is no way you can directly read the temperature from code, you need the external analog to digital converter to know the processor temperature. If you use a suitable mainboard, the mainboard can throttle the CPU to prevent destruction if it detects excessive temperature. In that youtube video, they obviously used a mainboard that reacts fast enough to temperature rise.

Depending on the mainboard construction, CPU overheat protection only works after the BIOS correctly initialized the sensor controller chip - which might be too late when you power on the computer without a heat sink / heat spreader installed.

Reply 14 of 27, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I understand, the OP is not worried about overheating processors now, but is worried about "untested" processors that might already be destroyed due to use without a heat sink before he or she buys them. The question is just to asses the risk that a Tualatin based processor has been destroyed by careless testing.

Reply 15 of 27, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mkarcher wrote on 2021-01-01, 19:00:

As I understand, the OP is not worried about overheating processors now, but is worried about "untested" processors that might already be destroyed due to use without a heat sink before he or she buys them. The question is just to asses the risk that a Tualatin based processor has been destroyed by careless testing.

I believe you are correct, but it took me reading way too many of his posts to figure it out. It was very unclear

Reply 16 of 27, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2021-01-01, 19:00:

Ah, OK. I didn't read it that way. I'd say the risk is minimal, most untested CPUs I have tested over the years are just that - untested but OK.

Reply 17 of 27, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depending on the mainboard construction, CPU overheat protection only works after the BIOS correctly initialized the sensor controller chip

Proper motherboard will detect overheat even on startup routine which is indicated on this video featuring Athlon MP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkrMjX8RwYk

Reply 19 of 27, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In general, Slot 1 motherboards had rudimentary overheat protection, which was the point of thermal sensor in Deschutes. But it won't help if you want to insert PIII without cooling.