VOGONS

First post, by RYZINN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed a Diamond Monster 3d 4mb nto a Socket 7 mobo not too long ago. It runs the Tomb Raider demo, Descent 2, and some other demos that came with the driver disc that I have on hand. That being said, Quake 2 does not seem to recognize my card and I'm not exactly sure why. I select 3DFX OpenGL in the video menu, apply settings, the game refreshes only to revert immediately back to software mode. My best guess would be that I need a newer driver than the one that came on the original disc packaged with the card, but I'm not 100% sure. MiniGL maybe? Not super familiar with that but that's kinda what I'm thinking?

My Voodoo 1/mobo combo is a bit finnicky. I'm currently running an original version of Win95 (not OSR2) and the device manager lists it as "pci multimedia device" with an exclamation point next to it. Despite this, drivers are installed, it pops up in the properties tab, and I can run pretty much every demo no problem. MOJO (if youre familiar with it) also recognizes the card no problem and shows me all drivers installed.

I'm not sure what the issue is but any advice would be helpful.

Reply 3 of 14, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/minigl.htm

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 4 of 14, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kjliew wrote on 2021-01-02, 02:07:

never included as part of driver package for Diamond Monster3D

MiniGL is a part of Quake II installation. You don't need to install it separatedly.
IIRC the MiniGL installation is optional in GLQuake only.

RYZINN wrote on 2021-01-02, 03:17:

Which one of these would be best?

I prefer to use the full ICD (3dfxvgl.dll) not a minigl. More extensions etc. But IMHO the 1.46 version is the best (1.47-1.49 are bugged in HL engine games).

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 5 of 14, by RYZINN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gamecollector wrote on 2021-01-04, 05:08:
MiniGL is a part of Quake II installation. You don't need to install it separatedly. IIRC the MiniGL installation is optional in […]
Show full quote
kjliew wrote on 2021-01-02, 02:07:

never included as part of driver package for Diamond Monster3D

MiniGL is a part of Quake II installation. You don't need to install it separatedly.
IIRC the MiniGL installation is optional in GLQuake only.

RYZINN wrote on 2021-01-02, 03:17:

Which one of these would be best?

I prefer to use the full ICD (3dfxvgl.dll) not a minigl. More extensions etc. But IMHO the 1.46 version is the best (1.47-1.49 are bugged in HL engine games).

I'm at a complete loss. Upon inspection of my quake 2 folder, the file that is necessary is there. I don't understand why the game keeps reverting to software mode everytime I switch the video settings to 3dfx OpenGL.

I'm utilizing the original drivers that came with the card. (Diamond Monster 3D disc drivers) Maybe I need newer drivers installed?

Reply 6 of 14, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

do you use a pirated copy of Quake II ?
maybe the folder is write protected ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 7 of 14, by RYZINN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
matze79 wrote on 2021-01-10, 16:12:

do you use a pirated copy of Quake II ?
maybe the folder is write protected ?

No, it's retail. Bought off ebay.

If anybody has any clues please let me know. The Diamond card is 100% installed correctly. All 3d tests are working (Tomb Raider, etc etc), card is now officially showing up properly in device manager (after some effort on my own part).

Reply 9 of 14, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RYZINN wrote on 2021-01-02, 00:01:

... the device manager lists it as "pci multimedia device" with an exclamation point next to it...

Now I see this ...... You didn't have the driver installed properly. Tomb Raider and Descent 2 are DOS Glide demos, which do not have to talk to Windows driver. They were either linked statically or use GLIDE2X.OVL which directly poke the hardware from DOS (even from Win95 DOS prompt).

Check if you can run any Windows demos, such as the Valley of Ra or Race.

Reply 10 of 14, by RYZINN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's the dir as seen in dos
tcxDkZ1.jpg

Here's the error as seen in game
Ssa7xTD.jpg

kjliew wrote on 2021-01-10, 20:25:
RYZINN wrote on 2021-01-02, 00:01:

... the device manager lists it as "pci multimedia device" with an exclamation point next to it...

Now I see this ...... You didn't have the driver installed properly. Tomb Raider and Descent 2 are DOS Glide demos, which do not have to talk to Windows driver. They were either linked statically or use GLIDE2X.OVL which directly poke the hardware from DOS (even from Win95 DOS prompt).

Check if you can run any Windows demos, such as the Valley of Ra or Race.

Yeah I reinstalled the drivers last night and it now shows up properly in device manager under Multimedia devices. The Properties tab diamond moster "test" works, the 3DFX tests such as "fight" (valley of ra?), Race, etc etc tests that came with the card installation software on Diamond 3D disc all work. Literally the only thing I can't get to work is quake 2. GLquake I can't seem to get onto my machine due to floppy disk issues but that's another thread 🤣.

Reply 12 of 14, by RYZINN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2021-01-10, 20:30:

3DFXGL.DLL is the miniGL, you already got it. Fix your driver and you should be fine.

By "fix your driver" i'm assuming you mean update Diamond Moster 3d drivers to a newer version? 1.08 maybe? That was kinda what I figured needed to be done but I wasn't sure. The device manager issue has been fixed. Device manager is now properly recognizing the card, no exclamation point. See post previous for more details on that.

If you're wondering why I haven't tried updating diamond monster drivers already, getting these drivers from my current PC to this WIN95 pc has been a huge headache. Trying to install GLquake from a floppy disk has been a nightmare in and of itself, so I wanted to be sure before putting in the effort.

Reply 14 of 14, by RYZINN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright I'll see if I can get it done. Hopefully a newer driver will fix the issue. Will update if this isn't the case.

Thanks everyone for all the help. It really is appreciated. If anybody has anything else to contribute or any ideas, please let me know!

<3

1/18/21 EDIT: Updated the driver and it solved the issue. Stock drivers don't do the trick.