VOGONS

First post, by lmttn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I first played Deus Ex in 2006 on a system much newer than the game so I historically have never had issues running it maxed out, but recently I installed it on a much older PC I acquired (an HP Pavilion with a Celeron 600 that I also added a PCI Voodoo3 2000 to) and with the latest official 3dfx drivers it struggles in most action-heavy scenes at 640x480 on the recommended (high, ironically) settings. Was this often the case with computers running the game when it was new? I would imagine that it would be at least a little demanding, seeing how much world simulation stuff Deus Ex has compared other Unreal 1 Engine games.

Reply 1 of 22, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah it was. There are two issues with Deus Ex, one is that it's just very CPU demanding. That Celeron 600 you are using was not exactly a power house by 2000 and even on top end CPUs of the era, the game rarely goes above 30-40fps
Secondly, owing to its Unreal Engine roots, the game runs best on Glide. GeForce cards at the time had to use D3D which meant performance suffered even more.
I've sampled Deus Ex on a Coppermine 1GHz and a Voodoo5, hardware that was top end and very well suited to it at the time, and it usually hanged at 30fps, fairly certain it would be a consistent experience with v-sync on.

There's an older thread you can check out to get a better picture. It's just how it was.

Reply 2 of 22, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran it at a P3-667 with a TNT2 M64 at the time and although I don't remember how smooth it ran I do remember it making a huge difference in loading (and saving!) times when I upgraded my ram from 128 to 384MB.

Reply 4 of 22, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I first ran it on an Athlon 1700+ with a Geforce 2 Ti, in 2002. No issues of course. Ran it at 1024x768.
But that is a little after release.

And it's far above the stated requirements for the game.

Reply 6 of 22, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It runs quite well on a Celeron-1400 with an overclocked Voodoo3 3500.

The 66MHz FSB was a massive bottleneck to Celerons running faster than ~333MHz. If your board lets you overclock, you might want to try bumping the bus speed to 100MHz. That'll result in a 900MHz CPU, which a Coppermine should have no problem running at.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 7 of 22, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Secondly, owing to its Unreal Engine roots, the game runs best on Glide. GeForce cards at the time had to use D3D which meant performance suffered even more.

Eh, no. OpenGL renderer should be better and various iterations were provided even before DX9 renderer for Unreal Engine 1.0 was released.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 22, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the summer of 2001 I played it on a PII-350 with 192MB RAM and a GeForce 256. I remember it being fine at 1024x768, and I think I made almost all the way through the game at that time. I later played it on an T-bird 1.4 with 512MB and the same video card. Definitely better. Either way I never had a problem with it.

Reply 9 of 22, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-02, 00:09:

Eh, no. OpenGL renderer should be better and various iterations were provided even before DX9 renderer for Unreal Engine 1.0 was released.

talking exclusively on the original game with no modifications at all, of course you can add newer or better renderers but they're talking on launch time

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 10 of 22, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

but they're talking on launch time

Vanilla Deus Ex also has OpenGL renderer.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 22, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I forgot that it actually shipped with OpenGL support. Fairly certain however that it was about as good or perhaps even worse than the D3D renderer, both in terms of performance and accuracy. My preferred way to play Deus Ex is using DXGLR, but we were talking about launch time or very close to that timeframe. I stand by my claim that Glide runs Deus Ex faster and more consistently than the other renderers offered at the time of release. I seem to remember that it wouldn't allow you to run using 32bit textures, without some .ini tweaking at least, even if you were using VSA-100 based cards.

Reply 12 of 22, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played it until the end on a Athlon 750 128mb ram and a Rage 128 pro, later on a geforce 2 mx because the rage was borrowed and I don't remember any issues with it and I think that was fairly close to its release.

Reply 17 of 22, by lmttn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Turns out that Unreal Engine games (the ones I've tested at least: both Deus Ex and Rune) default V-Sync to on in Glide mode. Turning it off helps quite a bit. I bought some parts to put a new old PC together so this Celeron will soon be doomed to my closet (or until I find something else to do with it).

Reply 18 of 22, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't remember my PCs specs when I first played Deus Ex, sorry, but I do remember being really pleased at the game. One of the very few times when a game not only delivered what had been promised in the magazine previews, but actually exceeded my hopes. We're talking Half-Life, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters 2, Bioshock 2, Doom 2016, etc, quality here!