VOGONS

First post, by ernestb86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi i've been asking a couple of things on this site about a build i'm currently working on. So far i've got everything but for the hard drive. I have an old Maxtor 40gb ide drive but i haven't used it in a long time and tested today and it seems it just died some time ago. I'm currently working on a better solution as i don't think that pairing my build with an old IDE hdd will be the best ( I always had bad luck with spinning disks).

So far my build is the following:

Motherboard: Intel D815EEA
CPU: P III 1Ghz Coppermine
RAM: 512Mb PC 133
PSU: Corsair VS 600
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live 5.1
Video Card: Geforce 5500 AGP/ Voodoo Banshee PCI

Which is perhaps the best fit for this build? A 120gb ssd or perhaps using an IDE to sd adaptor and an sd of 64/128gb?

Reply 5 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh you can run Win9x on SD cards but its not ideal.
SATA to IDE adapter is much better option, personally I think a standard SATA drive is plenty fast for 9x and cheaper as well, but if you like the idea of SDD then that's fine as well

Reply 6 of 11, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-01-07, 10:47:

Why is it not ideal? I'm looking to set up several retro systems over the coming months, and have been looking at a 3.5 bay CF/IDE adapter with different OS on different CF cards on the earlier systems (up to Win 2K), so would be interested to know if that will cause problems.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 7 of 11, by ernestb86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-07, 11:29:

Why is it not ideal? I'm looking to set up several retro systems over the coming months, and have been looking at a 3.5 bay CF/IDE adapter with different OS on different CF cards on the earlier systems (up to Win 2K), so would be interested to know if that will cause problems.

I would like to know that as well, as i though it could be an option. So far i think i'll get an IDE to SATA adapter but i'd like to know the issues with the CF/IDE adapter for SD cards with older OS like win 9x

Reply 8 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ernestb86 wrote on 2021-01-07, 12:40:

I would like to know that as well, as i though it could be an option. So far i think i'll get an IDE to SATA adapter but i'd like to know the issues with the CF/IDE adapter for SD cards with older OS like win 9x

Many people report windows feeling sluggish, possible causes of this is are cards having slower access times, which gets important in a multitasking OS.
You also have the added complexity of varying quality of cards and adapters, either not allowing you to enable DMA or just poor performance.

Wear on the cards is also a consideration, dos is fine as it writes very little back to the drive compared to windows and its page file. This doesn't really bother me as a SD card is cheap to replace so is spinning rust.

Personally I think in dos they are great but for windows the negatives outweigh the positives. They have been successfully used in a number of systems including my PPro box with CF cards for different OS's but if your building dedicated gaming PC the SATA to IDE option is much safer bet.

Reply 9 of 11, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ernestb86 wrote on 2021-01-07, 12:40:

Well, one issue that I can think of - the KTC FC130x bridge chip used in CF/SD<->IDE adapters were designed back in the mid-2000s, and they are limited to about 25-27MBytes/sec of sustained throughput. I don't think there were follow-up designs that improved performance further. Okay if you are planning to use them for UDMA33 machines or older (Intel 430/440 chipset and etc), but in UDMA100 capable machines, you're still bound to that limit.

Reply 10 of 11, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SATA to IDE adapter is much better option, personally I think a standard SATA drive is plenty fast for 9x and cheaper as well, but if you like the idea of SDD then that's fine as well

My Win9X machine is SATA native via mobo support, but yeah, a 128GB SSD for classic Windows is amazing. The access time is so low it's bananas. I didn't even remember to activate DMA but the access time was so fast I didn't even notice until doing bench marks. (And now it basically saturates 133MB ATA with DMA enabled). Even if this is a 'cheap' Kingston A400 drive, from a Win9X perspective, it's faster than god.

Reply 11 of 11, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2021-01-06, 21:17:

120GB SSD is the gold standard for Win98 builds IMO, using an IDE/SATA adapter.

That is what I use! With DMA and proper alignment you can fully saturate whatever bus you have.