Reply 481 of 689, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2018-06-04, 01:10:

As someone else mentioned, Windows 10 will no longer work with an AGP card

mrgreen wrote on 2019-08-07, 13:12:

Or better to keep my ATI ALL-IN-WONDER X1900 pci-express for Windows 10 (last releases do not support AGP)

Has anyone tried the fix mentioned here with these boards?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/f … fa6eb4f7?page=9

I just bought one and I want to try Windows 10 2004 on it when it arrives.

The fix basically seems to be just a small registry change and manually replacing the "PCI to PCI bridge" with the AGP bridge driver from Windows 10 1511 (last version before it was removed).

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 482 of 689, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2020-09-10, 22:34:
Has anyone tried the fix mentioned here with these boards? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/f … fa6eb4f7?page=9 […]
Show full quote
Repo Man11 wrote on 2018-06-04, 01:10:

As someone else mentioned, Windows 10 will no longer work with an AGP card

mrgreen wrote on 2019-08-07, 13:12:

Or better to keep my ATI ALL-IN-WONDER X1900 pci-express for Windows 10 (last releases do not support AGP)

Has anyone tried the fix mentioned here with these boards?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/f … fa6eb4f7?page=9

I just bought one and I want to try Windows 10 2004 on it when it arrives.

The fix basically seems to be just a small registry change and manually replacing the "PCI to PCI bridge" with the AGP bridge driver from Windows 10 1511 (last version before it was removed).

I tried that in 1903 last year on an Athlon 64 system without luck, nvidia gpus were still running in PCI mode and ATI didn't even work at all (code 43), a werid issue probably also related to Windows 10 AGP incompatibility is that it treats Geforce FX PCI and PCIe cards as AGP cards and consequently fails to load the driver (same issue as ATI), i've seen also reports is doing the same to PCI Geforce 6 cards

Quadro FX 1300 in 2004 (fail):

ujyscm0yh0.png
Filename
ujyscm0yh0.png
File size
178.23 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Geforce FX 5500 PCI in 2004 (fail as well):

pNsVl0Rk83.png
Filename
pNsVl0Rk83.png
File size
151.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

System was a Pentium D 950 machine with a Gigabyte GA-8N775, 8 GB RAM and a 500 GB HDD, PCIe cards worked and the nvidia 96.85 works in Windows 10 when used with a Geforce 6-7, but not FX

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 483 of 689, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see much reason to run Windows 10 on such system. There's perfectly serviceable Windows 8.1. And after its demise... you just don't want to use Win10 with 3,5 Gb of RAM at best.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 484 of 689, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a quick update: I can confirm that AGP still works on Windows 10 2004 64bit with an ATI HD4650 card.

I just replaced the "PCI to PCI bridge" with the "VIA CPU to AGP controller" (via agp.inf) - had to disable driver signature enforcement for that.
Then I imported the .reg file.

Windows did still throw the Error 43 message for the card, so I had to install the 12.4 AGP Hotfix drivers (12-4_agp-hotfix_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe) and voila - now it runs! I'm a little afraid that Windows Update will try to replace that driver again in the future with the shipped one (which is newer, but broken). That can probably be disabled, though.

I've put a Q9550 and an SSD into the machine and Windows 10 is working pretty well. Not as well as Windows XP, but it's nice to have a machine that still supports Windows 98SE and the latest Windows version. 😀

AGP drivers for 32bit and 64bit attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    agp.7z
    File size
    73.82 KiB
    Downloads
    209 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 485 of 689, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schmatzler wrote on 2020-09-15, 22:09:
Just a quick update: I can confirm that AGP still works on Windows 10 2004 64bit with an ATI HD4650 card. […]
Show full quote

Just a quick update: I can confirm that AGP still works on Windows 10 2004 64bit with an ATI HD4650 card.

I just replaced the "PCI to PCI bridge" with the "VIA CPU to AGP controller" (via agp.inf) - had to disable driver signature enforcement for that.
Then I imported the .reg file.

Windows did still throw the Error 43 message for the card, so I had to install the 12.4 AGP Hotfix drivers (12-4_agp-hotfix_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe) and voila - now it runs! I'm a little afraid that Windows Update will try to replace that driver again in the future with the shipped one (which is newer, but broken). That can probably be disabled, though.

I've put a Q9550 and an SSD into the machine and Windows 10 is working pretty well. Not as well as Windows XP, but it's nice to have a machine that still supports Windows 98SE and the latest Windows version. 😀

AGP drivers for 32bit and 64bit attached.

That is impressive . Either a 17-year span or a 22-year one, depening on how you count .(windows 10 being always current).

Reply 486 of 689, by Matthew Li

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys,

i have 4coredual-sata2, recently, i bought a GTX 980TI, want to install it on this motherboard, but it could not startup at all. no signal on the monitor.
any one knows if this motherboard support 980Ti ?

Reply 487 of 689, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Motherboard doesn't support any PCIe 3.0 cards. You can go only up to Fermi line of cards on Nvidia side (GTX 580 at most).

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 488 of 689, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this board is pretty old, I recently tried to install an intel Q6600 on it and it would not post anymore, dont use a strong card like the 980 Ti on that board as its overkill for it. After I switched back to my Pentium D it still wont post but the fans are spinning and the ram is recognized, I hope I didnt fry the Q6600 but the damn thing wont post over neither the pci express or agp as I tested it with working cards.

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 489 of 689, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlucarD86 wrote on 2021-01-07, 13:53:

this board is pretty old, I recently tried to install an intel Q6600 on it and it would not post anymore, dont use a strong card like the 980 Ti on that board as its overkill for it. After I switched back to my Pentium D it still wont post but the fans are spinning and the ram is recognized, I hope I didnt fry the Q6600 but the damn thing wont post over neither the pci express or agp as I tested it with working cards.

Q6600 works alright in that motherboard. As well as QX and the like. It's pretty stable all-round mobo despite some saying here otherwise. Sure it has some quirks but that is to be expected for such an unorthodox solution.

Have you tried resetting bios settings? Also, there are tips in this thread to lower your FSB if you're running quadcores.

Besides, you might have very well damaged your socket accidentally when you were changing CPUs. You might want to inspect it. Some contact legs may require bending them back to their place.

As for 980ti - it won't work. It was concluded here that highest you can go is 580GTX (or radeon 7xxx, if I recall correctly) - i.e. PCIe 2.0 (2.1) GPUs. Everything newer is PCIe 3.0 and thus incompatible. Not that it matters since even 580gtx is heavily handicapped in that measly 4x slot. 😀

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex

Reply 490 of 689, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's pretty stable all-round mobo despite some saying here otherwise.

Not with quads.

Not that it matters since even 580gtx is heavily handicapped in that measly 4x slot

Since that board is mostly favored as overbuffed universal Win 9x/Win XP machine, GTX 580 is already more than suitable for XP games.

Reply 491 of 689, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not with quads.

I run a X3230 on this board and it seems supremely stable since I got ram that really works with it. What kind of test do you think would show its instability?

Reply 493 of 689, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-08, 01:30:

Linpack.

Is there an XP version? I'm not set up to run a more modern OS on this machine. I'm also running an AGP video card, I don't know if that makes any difference.

If there's no XP version is there another benchmark you'd recommend for exposing stability issues with this build? It seems to do okay with Prime95.

Reply 495 of 689, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-08, 00:20:

It's pretty stable all-round mobo despite some saying here otherwise.

Not with quads.

Why? Tons of success stories in this thread with quads.

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex

Reply 496 of 689, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tons of success stories in this thread with quads.

Massive voltage drop and 5% FSB drop by default indicate otherwise.

Reply 497 of 689, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ouw I think I fried mine since I tested the Q6600 CPU on a different board and it boots just fine (not that I ever managed to fry a newer CPU aside maybe from an old Coppermine or Athlon XP but the newer intel chips are hard to damage). I checked the pins and it seems they are fine but there was some tiny cracking sound and it smelt a little bit burnt dunno if a capacitor went bye bye but the board does fire up and the fans spin but there is just no post and video signal on both AGP and PCI Express. I guess I have to multimeter the hell out of it, no fun

Also am curious is the Intel Quad and Windows XP considered retro by now? I recently tried to install Windows 7 on an much older Asrock mainboard with DDR1 and it would not boot from USB or CD with Error Code 5.

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 498 of 689, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows XP is almost 20 years old. Core 2 is mostly in junk territory now, not really retro per say, but it's still the best option with WIn9x support and more than sufficient option for Windows NT 5.x era games.

Reply 499 of 689, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the Linpack bootable shows nothing on my screen, it loads for a while then sits there. Then when I boot up next all the fat32 drives are tagged for error checking, I imagine because I have to reset the computer to get out of the linpack bootable. It doesn't work in graphics or text mode, so I don't know what its supposed to be doing.

If its so unstable isn't there another XP or 98 stress test you can think of to try it?