VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, I'm looking for an image of Disk 3 of Elvira II Jaws of Cerberus (original English). This is the less-common 720k 3.5" DD version (it has 5 disks in total). My original disk has developed bad sectors and it won't read anymore unfortunately.

Hopefully someone has it. Thank you all!

20210108_005228.jpg
Filename
20210108_005228.jpg
File size
1.43 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 13, by Vydricak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wbahnassi wrote on 2021-01-08, 05:59:

Hi all, I'm looking for an image of Disk 3 of Elvira II Jaws of Cerberus (original English). This is the less-common 720k 3.5" DD version (it has 5 disks in total). My original disk has developed bad sectors and it won't read anymore unfortunately.

Hopefully someone has it. Thank you all!
20210108_005228.jpg

Hi,

can you write which files are on disk 3, if the disk is readable for file tree?

I have two (3 disks in total each) versions of this game, but on disk 3 - both versions are diferrent files.

First version disk 3: PC2.LZH, PC4.LZH, PC8.LZH and PC9.LZH

Second version disk 3: PC4.LZH, PC8.LZH, PC11.LZH, PC12.LZH and PC15.LZH

When arent hidden sectors on disk 3 as copy protection, we can reconstruct disk 3.

Vydricak

Reply 2 of 13, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you. So far I haven't received any matching copy, nor was I able to find such an image at the usual sites.

I'm attaching a directory listing of the disk (yes, it still reads the directory properly).

20210108_090618.jpg
Filename
20210108_090618.jpg
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Pay attention to the size of the files. The file names may match files from other versions, but the sizes don't. Ideally I'm hoping to find an actual .IMG instead of loose files.

I know the 1.2MB HD 3-disk version is the one most people have, but I'm looking for preserving this less-common version if possible.

Best!

Reply 3 of 13, by Vydricak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wbahnassi wrote on 2021-01-08, 14:19:
Thank you. So far I haven't received any matching copy, nor was I able to find such an image at the usual sites. […]
Show full quote

Thank you. So far I haven't received any matching copy, nor was I able to find such an image at the usual sites.

I'm attaching a directory listing of the disk (yes, it still reads the directory properly).20210108_090618.jpg

Pay attention to the size of the files. The file names may match files from other versions, but the sizes don't. Ideally I'm hoping to find an actual .IMG instead of loose files.

I know the 1.2MB HD 3-disk version is the one most people have, but I'm looking for preserving this less-common version if possible.

Best!

Hi,

try attachment - size of the *.lzh files match.

Those are from Spain version, but these files are same by French and Spain versions. In packaged files are only VGA files.

Vydricak

Attachments

Reply 4 of 13, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you. Those are almost ok. The sizes don't quite match my English version. I put them on the disk and the installer didn't complain, which means the game will run, but I might be surprised at some point in the game with Spanish text in some scene or something 😅

I'm attaching the comparison between the Spanish files and my files (mine on drive A)

20210108_111141.jpg
Filename
20210108_111141.jpg
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Again, appreicate all your efforts!

Reply 6 of 13, by Vydricak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wbahnassi wrote on 2021-01-08, 16:16:
Thank you. Those are almost ok. The sizes don't quite match my English version. I put them on the disk and the installer didn't […]
Show full quote

Thank you. Those are almost ok. The sizes don't quite match my English version. I put them on the disk and the installer didn't complain, which means the game will run, but I might be surprised at some point in the game with Spanish text in some scene or something 😅

I'm attaching the comparison between the Spanish files and my files (mine on drive A)
20210108_111141.jpg

Again, appreicate all your efforts!

Hi,

try this one:

I made lzh (lharc.exe in MS-DOS) archives with english version vga files.

Dont compare the sizes of lzh archives, just try it.

Vydricak

Attachments

Reply 7 of 13, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vydricak wrote on 2021-01-08, 17:57:

Vydricak

The installer took the files fine. Hopefully those VGAs are the same ones my disk 3 had. I also tried a few online versions and compared their files to mine, and I'm happy to report that every site seems to have a different version 🤪 There is a version file in the game and mine says 2.21 and other sites I checked say 2.20.

Reply 8 of 13, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BardBun wrote on 2021-01-08, 17:32:

If you haven't already, you should start creating image files of all of your diskettes before they all start becoming faulty.

Yup. Started on this too late unfortunately, but now I'm active on it.

Reply 9 of 13, by Vydricak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wbahnassi wrote on 2021-01-09, 00:30:
Vydricak wrote on 2021-01-08, 17:57:

Vydricak

The installer took the files fine. Hopefully those VGAs are the same ones my disk 3 had. I also tried a few online versions and compared their files to mine, and I'm happy to report that every site seems to have a different version 🤪 There is a version file in the game and mine says 2.21 and other sites I checked say 2.20.

Hi,

check the archives those are readable for contain files and send here a screenshot. Then we will see which file numbers are in archives.

Or just copy that, what is readable an send here a zip file please. I will check that.

Vydricak

Reply 10 of 13, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The best I could achieve is the listing of contents of the three archives on the disk using 7zip. LHA/LHarc were unable to extract the information at all in DOS. I'm pretty sure the contents listed by 7zip are truncated too for PC8.LZH and PC9.LZH. The only file that copied successfully from the disk without errors is PC7.LZH, so I'm expecting the file listing there to be complete.

1.png
Filename
1.png
File size
29.55 KiB
Views
File comment
PC7.LZH
File license
Public domain
2.png
Filename
2.png
File size
16.4 KiB
Views
File comment
PC8.LZH
File license
Public domain
3.png
Filename
3.png
File size
12.35 KiB
Views
File comment
PC9.LZH
File license
Public domain

Reply 12 of 13, by Vydricak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wbahnassi wrote on 2021-01-09, 18:04:
The best I could achieve is the listing of contents of the three archives on the disk using 7zip. LHA/LHarc were unable to extra […]
Show full quote

The best I could achieve is the listing of contents of the three archives on the disk using 7zip. LHA/LHarc were unable to extract the information at all in DOS. I'm pretty sure the contents listed by 7zip are truncated too for PC8.LZH and PC9.LZH. The only file that copied successfully from the disk without errors is PC7.LZH, so I'm expecting the file listing there to be complete.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Hi,

here are the screenshots from floppy image *.LZH archives, which i reconstructed:

All listed file sizes match with yours.

When you will have 3rd disk from eBay, send here please a list of files from PC8 a PC9 archives, so we can compare PC8.LZH and PC9.LZH

PC7.LZH is completely the same 😀

Vydricak

Attachments

• PC7_LZH.png
    Filename
    PC7_LZH.png
    File size
    33.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • PC8_LZH.png
    Filename
    PC8_LZH.png
    File size
    25.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • PC9_LZH.png
    Filename
    PC9_LZH.png
    File size
    47.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 13 of 13, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to update. I got the copy from eBay, and found two things;
* Disk 4 is bad, but I don't care because my original is still good.. but...
* This is a different version of the game with the black screen installer. Mine has a more modern blue screen installer. The disk contents are quite different and are not interchangeable between the two based on disk number.

This is annoying. I have thus settled on copying Vydricak onto my disk 3 after replacing the disk's media with a new one.

Thanks all for your help! Much appreciated.