VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SamsungASUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, I am writing this topic because I need help with extracting MIDI or audio from the DOS games "The Lost Vikings." Unfortunately, the data is on a DAT file, and I don't know how to get music off the file, as I tried using Audacity or other extracting software, but to no avail. I know there is a MIDI recorder in DOSBox, but I don't like how you have to time the recording and I assume that it records the MIDI in Sound Blaster 16 mode. I have tried every method described to no avail and I really don't want to pay for software to extract files from the DAT file.

Reply 2 of 5, by SamsungASUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zirkoni wrote on 2021-01-09, 05:36:

OK, so I extracted files from DATA.DAT, but they aren't in MIDI format and I've tried searching up how to convert them to MIDI format, but to no avail. Most of the software only says it converts the BIN or UNK and XMI files to picture formats.

Reply 3 of 5, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SamsungASUS wrote on 2021-01-10, 18:52:

OK, so I extracted files from DATA.DAT, but they aren't in MIDI format and I've tried searching up how to convert them to MIDI format, but to no avail. Most of the software only says it converts the BIN or UNK and XMI files to picture formats.

XMI means Extended Midi. So it is a very similar format and you can use e.g. my Midi player to save XMI files as standard MID.
1. Download my Midi player:
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer
2. Open your XMI files(s) or drop them to playlist.
3. Load your desired file by double clicking it on playlist.
4. Open the Event viewer/debugger window (there is a dedicated button on the right hand side of the player for it)
5. in the Event viewer/debugger window select File menu -> Save File As.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 4 of 5, by SamsungASUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-01-10, 19:05:
XMI means Extended Midi. So it is a very similar format and you can use e.g. my Midi player to save XMI files as standard MID. […]
Show full quote
SamsungASUS wrote on 2021-01-10, 18:52:

XMI means Extended Midi. So it is a very similar format and you can use e.g. my Midi player to save XMI files as standard MID.
1. Download my Midi player:
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer
2. Open your XMI files(s) or drop them to playlist.
3. Load your desired file by double clicking it on playlist.
4. Open the Event viewer/debugger window (there is a dedicated button on the right hand side of the player for it)
5. in the Event viewer/debugger window select File menu -> Save File As.

Thank you very much for your help. It worked.