VOGONS

First post, by dannyasia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for my English I decide to build a win95 and a win98 machine and I very new in this retro pc build thing and I remember my old times using win95 and win98 that I forgot completely the pain that is to find and install the right drivers so well I run in some issues installing those 2 cards a sound card "Magitronic MF-009 J8MF-009 A-SB6000" and a video card " S3 VIRGE /DX REALmagic64" I ben all over the internet trying to find the right drivers for those cards no luck the only drivers that I can find crash the system and give me a blue screen so is over a month and I can't get this to work at this moment I don't know what else to do I will appreciate any help and I very happy that people still preserving old hardware and thanks for your help by the way this are my machine specs
GIGABY GA-586T2 REV 1.2
MXX PENTIUM 233MHz
128 MG MEMORY SIM
thanks
Danny

Attachments

• 20201231_194658.jpg
    Filename
    20201231_194658.jpg
    File size
    1.97 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20210107_173158.jpg
    Filename
    20210107_173158.jpg
    File size
    1.74 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 11, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a file you could try with the sound card (for the OPTi 82C924 chip):

http://files.mpoli.fi/hardware/SOUND/OTHER/924W95DX.ZIP

This looks like the driver for the video card:

https://ideafix.name/old/video/REALmagic/REAL … 64GX/64gx95.exe

Good luck.

Reply 3 of 11, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, after doing some research, it looks like the Sigma Designs "Realmagic 64/GX" was a drop-in replacement for S3 Trio64 (and later Virge) chips with a matching VBIOS. While pin-compatible, the chip is not a Trio64 or a Virge.

Manufacturers could re-use the Trio64 and Virge PCBs with these chips as long as they used Sigma Designs' VBIOS. That explains why your card says it's a S3 Virge on the PCB, but doesn't actually have an S3 chip on it. It also explains why S3 Virge drivers don't work with it.

As for your sound card, the generic OPTi drivers should get basic sound and CD-ROM interfaces working. I have a card with a later OPTi chipset, and the generic drivers give me everything I need.

I hope it all works out for you.

Reply 4 of 11, by dannyasia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got home and I will install a fresh Windows 95 because I have been installing many drivers and now I have a mess. When I install the whole thing, I will let you know how it went. Thank you so much for the help!

Reply 5 of 11, by dannyasia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been installing drivers for this sound card and it's been giving me these errors. I have tried with something else, and just got the blue screen or other drivers don't want to install. This has been my nightmare all this time. I haven't tried the video driver yet because I'm trying to nail these down one at a time and avoid conflicts. Thanks for your help today.

Attachments

• sound.jpg
    Filename
    sound.jpg
    File size
    831.23 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One trick I do to find drivers is put the card in a XP pc or install XP on the PC itself.
If your really lucky XP will have built in drivers and you can go off and start googling for the 9x version of the same card.
If your not that lucky at least you get hardware ID's that you can search for.

Although google MJ-009R06 and you'll get a result back to vogons with a link to dos drivers as well as a few members that own the card
Which to keep ISA=OPTi 82C929A or ESS ES1869F ?
or this result which has a few OS's listed
https://download.shuttle.eu/Archive_2004/Driv … io/Opti/82c933/

Reply 7 of 11, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think you should find out what resources you have conflicting, and then start moving them around.

The OPTi card will likely want IRQ 5 for Sound Blaster support, IRQ 9 for MPU-401 support, IRQ 15 for the CD-ROM controller, and either IRQ 7, 10, or 11 for the Windows Sound System.

Unfortunately, the PCI bus will want IRQs 9, 10, and 11. Advanced parallel ports want IRQs 5 or 7. And, USB will want IRQ 3, 4, or 5. All could potentially keep the sound card from working at all.

I recommend the following:

1) If you don't need one or both of the serial ports (COM1 and COM 2), disable one or both in the BIOS. The USB controller will likely take one of their IRQs.

2) If you don't need the parallel port (LPT1), disable it in the BIOS.

3) If the BIOS allows you to reserve IRQs for ISA slots (usually in a PNP/PCI Configuration sort of menu), reserve IRQs 5, 9, and 10. Then, manually assign IRQs 5 and 10 to the sound card, and IRQ 9 to the MPU-401 in Windows.

Hope that helps.

Reply 8 of 11, by dannyasia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got it working! I noticed that you were looking for the chipset number, so I did the same thing online and I found a page, http://files.mpoli.fi/hardware/SOUND/OTHER/ . I downloaded the driver for the chipset number , and, by the way, this driver installs msdos sound, too, so I didn't have to install anything else -- it was altogether. I followed the instructions you gave me on the first line about the IRQs. I went to System Properties and double click the OPTI Plug-n-Play Master Controller and then went to Resources and unclicked the box for "Use Automatic Setting" and changed the basic configuration to 0001. Then on the OPTI Plug-n-Play Sound System , in Resources menu, I unchecked "Use Automatic Settings" and changed the input/output range to 0240-024F. For the OPTI Plug-n-Play MPU-401 , I didn't have to do anything. The drivers installed right away, no problems.

I attached a picture for the driver website:
http://files.mpoli.fi/hardware/SOUND/OTHER/
(For anyone who might read this who doesn't know already, you must install from the floppy disk/diskette or it won't work at all)

I tried the video driver and it seems to be the right one, but I think my video card is damaged or has some kind of problems. It's still freezing sometimes - but now it's intermittent and only started happening after installing the video card drivers. With the other drivers I tried previously, it would freeze constantly. So now it's overall better, regardless. Thank you very much for all of your help, and I hope this can help someone else who is having the same problems.

Attachments

• driver.jpg
    Filename
    driver.jpg
    File size
    618.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • fix.jpg
    Filename
    fix.jpg
    File size
    754.74 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 9 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good on you.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 11 of 11, by dannyasia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The best part is now I don't have to touch anything on the BIOS so far. The bad part is I still don't have the video card working 100%. I don't know exactly why it is freezing on me still sometimes. The weird thing is it only happens when I open software that requires video. As soon as I uninstall the drivers and switch to Standard Display Adapter everything is working just fine except for the graphics-where everything looks like crap. I don't really understand why the drivers are not working - it seems like those are the right ones. Hey, thanks again for all of the help.