VOGONS

First post, by RYZINN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm desperately trying to get MiniGL installed onto an old Pentium 200 machine running Win95 and after considering my options, felt a USB Floppy Drive with some spare floppy disks would be the best route to get MiniGL from my current computer, over to my Pentium 200. My excitement was palpable when the USB drive came in the mail today and I eagerly copied numerous files and tried numerous versions from 1.00 to 1.46 MiniGL only for my P200/win95 to tell me "The Operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact system administrator" everytime I'd double click on the MiniGL installer .exe 🙁

I have no clue what to do at this point. This seemed like the most sound method to get these files onto this system but yet again I'm met with frustrating results. There's probably some kind of easy work around for this but as I'm not as versed in win95 as some of you all might be, I figured I'd come here. Google didn't give me any relevant answers. The only thing I've considered trying at this point is upgrading to Win98 as I'm pretty sure it's a less finnicky OS.

Thanks

Reply 3 of 11, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1.47 from the falconfly archive has the .dlls for dropping into game folders. if you really need the older ones you can extract them on your modern pc though.

@kjliew: pretty sure the point is to use a regular FDD on the win95 machine...

Reply 4 of 11, by RYZINN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah so I tried copying + pasting files from the FDD to C:/ on the p200 with the same error popping up..

Also yeah, using USB FDD on modern computer to create floppys for older computer. Just can't get these disks to run proper on the older computer without getting this stupid error.

Reply 5 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahh so you are using the USB floppy drive only to make the disks off your new computer AND your p200 has a real floppy ?
My guess is you are using Windows 10 on the machine you are coping the files off to floppy with the USB floppy drive. Your first post is not very descriptive...
If so the issue then is a Admin rights issue with Win 10 so you need to launch Win 10 explorer with admin rights so the copied .EXE's are not written with hidden protections.
I use a USB floppy off my Win 7 computer (with full admin rights) to make a lot of floppies and never have an issue with any older computer.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 11, by RYZINN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I managed to run an instance of explorer as admin and did get some minigl drivers to actually work. That being said the GLquake installer just does not want to play nice and I have no clue why. I copied the files from Win10 onto a floppy disk as admin so why these errors persist is a mystery.

Here's what the errors look like on screen

https://i.imgur.com/DLg9vjK.jpg
This pops up first.

https://i.imgur.com/yok0Nkl.jpg
this pops up second.

Is there version of QuakeGL installer that maybe plays nicer on Win95 or maybe some other method of copying GLquake over to my machine using a floppy? I'm using the GLquake file that is found here: https://www.soldcentralfl.com/quakecoop/files.htm

Reply 7 of 11, by astonsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It might be worth trying to copy the GLQuake installer onto a new floppy disk, and trying again. The file might be corrupted. v0.97 definitely works on 95.

FAT12 doesn't store file permissions, so you shouldn't need to use Administrator mode on Windows 10 to copy the file to floppy disk. (But it doesn't matter if you do.)

Reply 8 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah was stupidly thinking WIn10 was changing attribute to 'system' file which Win95 may not like when executed. Also if same file already exists and is in use it could cause various odd errors if tried to be overwritten.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 11, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try copying the files on another computer without the USB Floppy drive. From my own experience and what I've read online, USB FDDs are not really reliable for writing to media and could just be corrupting your data.

Reply 10 of 11, by RYZINN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2021-01-10, 19:12:

Try copying the files on another computer without the USB Floppy drive. From my own experience and what I've read online, USB FDDs are not really reliable for writing to media and could just be corrupting your data.

Sadly USB floppy drive is the only method I have of transferring files from my computer to my win95 computer. 🙁

I've tried burning CDs with no success. 2 different IDE CD drives refuse to read CD-R discs no matter what speed I burn it at. I've looked at some other methods, such as an IDE USB solution, flash memory card solutions, etc, but this seemed to be the most simple.

Blah. I just want to play GLquake.