Reply 37580 of 52721, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-11, 20:27:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-01-11, 20:22:
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-11, 20:11:

Yes, it's just a retail i740. http://www.plasma-online.de/index.html?conten … rds/real3d.html

I only have NVivia and ATI/AMD cards in gpuzoo.com so far, but eventually will have more info for cards like this. Still working on adding older NVidia and ATI cards first (the database has over 10K cards listed at the moment)

There is no picture of this card on that page. Unless I'm missing something.

No, that site doesn't have images, but it is among the most complete sites for listing old cards. I'll be cross referencing cards from plasma-online with info from reviews and other collection sites when I add legacy cards to my site (which is waiting for the webmaster to add the last few thousand cards in my database)

The fact that the Starfighter uses an i740 is fairly common knowledge in the retro 3d accelerator world. The i740 exists because of Real3D.

The Real3D Starfighter PCI is often depicted as an ultra rare collector's item, and yet there are pictures of it all over the internet. It doesn't really do anything special, so it isn't more useful than any other... it's just an oddity. On the other hand, this particular variant of the Real3D Starfighter AGP I found is only pictured on one other website, and that site contains ultra rare oddities like engineering samples and development boards from Real3D and Intel. I know this particular card isn't anything like those, but saying its the same as any Starfighter AGP card, for which there are a hundred of pictures online, just seems odd. It clearly isn't the same card.

I'm not looking for an award, I was simply stating that it seems to be rare. Kind of the point of posting things in this thread... we find them interesting or unusual. If someone can find pictures of these sitting in scrap lots, installed in computers and being pulled out of retail boxes, then please shoot down my dreams of owning "The rarest of all the Starfighters", but I don't see the point in peeing in my cheerios with no pictures or information to add to the conversation.

It's like going to a CPU collector's forum and telling people "That's just Cyrix 5x86." when they say they're happy to have found a 5x86 150. 😀

(I know it's not like that, I'm being facetious)

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 37581 of 52721, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-01-11, 21:12:
The fact that the Starfighter uses an i740 is fairly common knowledge in the retro 3d accelerator world. The i740 exists because […]
Show full quote
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-01-11, 20:22:

There is no picture of this card on that page. Unless I'm missing something.

No, that site doesn't have images, but it is among the most complete sites for listing old cards. I'll be cross referencing cards from plasma-online with info from reviews and other collection sites when I add legacy cards to my site (which is waiting for the webmaster to add the last few thousand cards in my database)

The fact that the Starfighter uses an i740 is fairly common knowledge in the retro 3d accelerator world. The i740 exists because of Real3D.

The Real3D Starfighter PCI is often depicted as an ultra rare collector's item, and yet there are pictures of it all over the internet. It doesn't really do anything special, so it isn't more useful than any other... it's just an oddity. On the other hand, this particular variant of the Real3D Starfighter AGP I found is only pictured on one other website, and that site contains ultra rare oddities like engineering samples and development boards from Real3D and Intel. I know this particular card isn't anything like those, but saying its the same as any Starfighter AGP card, for which there are a hundred of pictures online, just seems odd. It clearly isn't the same card.

I'm not looking for an award, I was simply stating that it seems to be rare. Kind of the point of posting things in this thread... we find them interesting or unusual. If someone can find pictures of these sitting in scrap lots, installed in computers and being pulled out of retail boxes, then please shoot down my dreams of owning "The rarest of all the Starfighters", but I don't see the point in peeing in my cheerios with no pictures or information to add to the conversation.

It's like going to a CPU collector's forum and telling people "That's just Cyrix 5x86." when they say they're happy to have found a 5x86 150. 😀

Obviously my comment was not aimed at you. It was aimed at TheMobRules, whose comment "but other than that I think it's just a regular AGP card using Intel's i740" implied that to him it is not common knowledge.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 37582 of 52721, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2021-01-11, 21:22:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-01-11, 21:12:
The fact that the Starfighter uses an i740 is fairly common knowledge in the retro 3d accelerator world. The i740 exists because […]
Show full quote

Obviously my comment was not aimed at you. It was aimed at TheMobRules, whose comment "but other than that I think it's just a regular AGP card using Intel's i740" implied that to him it is not common knowledge.

Alrighty then, thanks for clarifying. 👍

Reply 37583 of 52721, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this kit locally from a fellow retro enthusiast, of course for a fair price.
This Cyrix 6x86 P150+, made by IBM, was the CPU in my first system! Also had 32 MB of RAM and some VXPro chipset mainboard, probably some PCChips, not this nice Gigabyte GA-586ATV... I'm glad the board came with a PS/2 mini DIN mouse connector on a bracket, nearby a serial port 😉

20210111_224454.jpg
Filename
20210111_224454.jpg
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 37585 of 52721, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pete8475 wrote on 2021-01-11, 20:19:

The couple of hours of testing simply isn't enough, those boards like to fuck up after they've been on for a while. Leave it for a couple of DAYS and see what happens. I'd be very surprised if you don't have errors then.

I had it running for 10 hours, 5 passes of memtest86, no errors. Do I need to wait forever for it to error out?

Reply 37586 of 52721, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote on 2021-01-11, 22:25:

I had it running for 10 hours, 5 passes of memtest86, no errors. Do I need to wait forever for it to error out?

hah no.

It does sound like you have the only good nforce 2 motherboard on earth though.

EDIT - If you have the time I'd love to see how it does running memtest86 for 2-3 days straight. Literally every nforce 2 board I ever tested over a weekend failed.

Reply 37587 of 52721, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a FIC motherboard with nForce2 chipset that's always been really stable with an Athlon XP 3200+ and a stick of 1GB DDR400. Maybe the fact that I did a full recap contributed to its stability? Now, I don't remember for how long I ran memtest after the recap, but it was a few hours at least. And since then I haven't experienced any crashes or instability in Windows XP, but I don't use it daily so who knows?

Are there other specific tests beyond memtest that you have found nForce2 boards to be susceptible to?

Reply 37588 of 52721, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote on 2021-01-12, 01:45:

I have a FIC motherboard with nForce2 chipset that's always been really stable with an Athlon XP 3200+ and a stick of 1GB DDR400. Maybe the fact that I did a full recap contributed to its stability? Now, I don't remember for how long I ran memtest after the recap, but it was a few hours at least. And since then I haven't experienced any crashes or instability in Windows XP, but I don't use it daily so who knows?

Are there other specific tests beyond memtest that you have found nForce2 boards to be susceptible to?

Prime95 blend test.

Reply 37589 of 52721, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this socket 478 MSI 865PE Neo2 along with 2 rounded IDE cables and one straight IDE cable and 512 of DDR 333 memory. $8 incl. shipping 😀
I expect a nice O/C on this mobo, it has "MSI CoreCell" chip on board 😀

Attachments

• 20210111_193505.jpg
    Filename
    20210111_193505.jpg
    File size
    1.63 MiB
    Views
    File license

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB
PC2: AOpen => GA-586SG, 512 MB SDRAM, AMD K6-2 400 MHz, Geforce 2 MX 400

Reply 37590 of 52721, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pete8475 wrote on 2021-01-11, 23:40:
hah no. […]
Show full quote
canthearu wrote on 2021-01-11, 22:25:

hah no.

It does sound like you have the only good nforce 2 motherboard on earth though.

EDIT - If you have the time I'd love to see how it does running memtest86 for 2-3 days straight. Literally every nforce 2 board I ever tested over a weekend failed.

My first ever full self build featured an ABIT NF7-S with nforce2. Not only did it it have memory problems (if trying to run at rated speeds) it also was so unstable running my 2400+ at its correct speed(crashed every time during windows install.) I had to run it at 1800+ speeds for its lifetime just to get it to work. Although overall I look back at it fondly as my first complete build it was serious stress getting it going and stable.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 37591 of 52721, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dont bid one this one Imi, the interesting card is one the way to me 😀 😀 😀 Including the slot bracket 😀

s-l1600 (9).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (9).jpg
File size
462.57 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 37593 of 52721, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Made some mistakes with what sort of 486 I actually want recently but have been watching this one on ebay for a while.

Won the auction today and cant wait to set it up and see if its alright!

Comes with the original Dell shipping boxes too which is a nice bonus.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (95).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (95).jpg
    File size
    108.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Twitter

Reply 37594 of 52721, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote on 2021-01-12, 16:21:

Dont bid one this one Imi, the interesting card is one the way to me 😀 😀 😀 Including the slot bracket 😀

s-l1600 (9).jpg

Nice, Roland 401AT !!!!!

Reply 37595 of 52721, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xicor wrote on 2021-01-12, 16:50:

s-l1600 (9).jpg

Nice, Roland 401AT !!!!!

With SCB-55 attachted 😉

Reply 37596 of 52721, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LewisRaz wrote on 2021-01-12, 16:47:

Beautiful machine! And seems to be in perfect condition as well.

Reply 37597 of 52721, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Made some mistakes with what sort of 486 I actually want recently but have been watching this one on ebay for a while.

That's a nice find. I really hope that the seller packages that system properly and it survives the trip to your house intact.

Reply 37598 of 52721, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2021-01-12, 17:07:
Xicor wrote on 2021-01-12, 16:50:

s-l1600 (9).jpg

Nice, Roland 401AT !!!!!

With SCB-55 attachted 😉

Ohggg.... Man, wish I'd seen that lot... I mean... congratulations on the find. 😁

EDIT: Also, the ISA sound cards in the top right corner may be somewhat interesting. I see an Acer Magic S20, some kind of SB16, a Terratec Profimedia (basic one, not wavetable) and a long one that looks somewhat like an AWE32 (looks like it may be damaged).

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2021-01-12, 21:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 37599 of 52721, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-12, 20:15:

That's a nice find. I really hope that the seller packages that system properly and it survives the trip to your house intact.

Me too, the seller is an established ebay seller so hopefully knows what they are doing. And offered to double box the monitor and desktop so that the original shipping boxes will hopefully survive too!

Twitter