VOGONS

First post, by RetroLiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I have an IBM Aptiva 2158 Series E. The stock power supply is, as the manual describes, "PC-98 compatible 95W ATX power supply." I popped the hood, and that's exactly what's in there.

I was looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/Logisys-Corp-Power-Sup … /dp/B008MUD9IK/

Yes, 480 watts is totally overkill in this application - I wouldn't even touch 300 watts. But it seems like there are few options these days for a low wattage, newly manufactured PSU.

Anyway, would I be going wrong by getting this?

Thanks!!

Battlestation: IBM Aptiva Series E 500 (Model 2158)
Sony Trinitron Multiscan 100ES 15" CRT
AMD K-6/2 400mhz
SoundBlaster Live! CT4780
IBM 120GB HDD
256MB RAM
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 5, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Logisys is the poster child of "dangerous crappy powersupplies."

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 5, by Ayrton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RetroLiz wrote on 2021-01-12, 23:50:
Hi all. I have an IBM Aptiva 2158 Series E. The stock power supply is, as the manual describes, "PC-98 compatible 95W ATX power […]
Show full quote

Hi all. I have an IBM Aptiva 2158 Series E. The stock power supply is, as the manual describes, "PC-98 compatible 95W ATX power supply." I popped the hood, and that's exactly what's in there.

I was looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/Logisys-Corp-Power-Sup … /dp/B008MUD9IK/

Yes, 480 watts is totally overkill in this application - I wouldn't even touch 300 watts. But it seems like there are few options these days for a low wattage, newly manufactured PSU.

Anyway, would I be going wrong by getting this?

Thanks!!

It seems a standard ATX power supply form factor, FPS GROUP FPS-300-G0THA(1PF) is a 300 W, POWERMAN FSP235-60GT is 235 W...
I have both those, but they are "used", not new products so no warranty...
But if they work, no so important they are not new... search these models as example...

Reply 3 of 5, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the power supply is standard ATX form factor than you can replace it with any new power supply. I use an EVGA 450 watt for most of my retro builds. Depending on your setup, you might need an adapter or two. SATA->molex or 4 pin floppy, that kind of thing. Another thing to watch out for, make sure the ATX connector is 20+4 pin.

I would just get a reasonably priced power supply with 80 plus certification from a decent brand.

Reply 4 of 5, by RetroLiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ODwilly wrote on 2021-01-13, 04:22:

Logisys is the poster child of "dangerous crappy powersupplies."

Oof, thanks for letting me know. What are some decent brands that manufacture PSUs in the 300w - 450w range? I've done a little research and it seems like the top companies are focusing more on the high performance modern gaming market.

Battlestation: IBM Aptiva Series E 500 (Model 2158)
Sony Trinitron Multiscan 100ES 15" CRT
AMD K-6/2 400mhz
SoundBlaster Live! CT4780
IBM 120GB HDD
256MB RAM
Windows 98 SE

Reply 5 of 5, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, and many, many more. Just about all power supplies are made by seasonic or FSP and rebranded under different names.

The only thing you have to worry about it not getting a lemon. Anything with 20amps on the 5v rails that will fit ok in your case is likely to work. Adapter situation perhaps not withstanding.