VOGONS

Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 2240 of 2280, by Alexis78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, D-Fend Reloaded isn´t updated any more?

I reinstalled D-Fend Reloaded after many years without using It and I have a few questions, after reading a bit in this thread It seems that the author, Alexander, isn´t here since 2016, is that correct?.

Reply 2243 of 2280, by 001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So... I got really annoyed with a bug in D-Fend Reloaded. There was a typo in the procedure that handled how to deal with mounted zip files. One thing led to another and I ended up not only up fixing it, I also updated some components (FastMM4, SevenZipVCL, GifImage) and the project got updated so it compiles with current Delphi versions (I'm using the latest 30 day trial). If anyone wants to fix or add anything this is a good starting point.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tlAmgeP1tkEz … I2YchfYsGd/view

The .7z has the updated source, and a precompiled DFend.exe.
Its 101% untested, I just compiled it a few minutes ago, got DosBox running and thats it. I'm pretty sure it has more bugs than features.
I'm not planning to make any updates or taking feature requests, aside from (maybe) fixing bugs related to the update to Delphi 10.4. pls report them here, not by PM.

Reply 2244 of 2280, by Onkr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
001 wrote on 2020-10-12, 03:12:

The .7z has the updated source, and a precompiled DFend.exe.
Its 101% untested, I just compiled it a few minutes ago, got DosBox running and thats it. I'm pretty sure it has more bugs than features.
I'm not planning to make any updates or taking feature requests, aside from (maybe) fixing bugs related to the update to Delphi 10.4. pls report them here, not by PM.

Hello 001
It is great you took some time to upgrade Dfend code ! Thanks for your effort.
I downloaded your code but unfortunately there is an error in DosBoxUnit.pas when I tried to compile the project.
[dcc32 Error] DosBoxUnit.pas(1577): E2010 Incompatible types: '_PROCESS_INFORMATION' and 'Pointer'
Which Delphi version are you using ? I used the last community version 10.3

I also noticed that some modules have been fixed in your source but not included anymore in Dfend project (e.g. GIFImage.pas). Any reason ?

I am by far not an expert in Delphi but if someone could take this opportunity to jump on 001 work it would be great.

Most desired (IMO) : recover ability to download info/images from Mobygames or similar sites

Reply 2246 of 2280, by sleepybear360

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings Users!

I am a first-time poster here on Vogons and I loved D-Fend Reloaded. However, with that being said, it does seem like it has passed the end of its life-cycle and it might be time to move on to new pastures. This morning I decided to put my thinking cap on and start recreating this piece of computing history.

Enter D-Fend Renewed

Yes, D-Fend Renewed (thanks for the name by the way) has been born on 4-3-2021 and is ready to live, provided you want it too! What I am doing now is preparing to recreate and fix a lot of the issues in D-Fend Reloaded is a new iteration of the application called D-Fend Renewed, and it needs your support to live. What do I mean by support? Well, simply put, there has to be an interest in the project before I decide to continue it, after all, it doesn't make sense to spend hundreds of man-hours on an application if nobody will use it. So consider this post to be a probe if you will so I can tell if there is still a need in 2021 for this once beautiful piece of software.

Planned Features

• A proper website
  • A brand new plugin system
  • A more intelligent way of adding new games
  • Upload/download installed games right to the cloud

These are just a few of the planned features that I would implement into D-Fend Renewed should the demand be great enough and we decide to create said application and distribute it. If there is not enough interest regarding D-Fend Renewed then it just like D-Fend Reloaded will just be a memory that lives warm in our hearts.

Cheers!

Attachments

• infancy.png
    Filename
    infancy.png
    File size
    22.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by sleepybear360 on 2021-04-03, 16:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2247 of 2280, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sleepybear360 wrote on 2021-04-03, 15:35:

[*] On-demand games (yes, you will be able to browse, download and auto-install abandonware games directly within the application!)

Better to leave this point out.

On pg. 112, I was just joking about the new name, but nice to see this idea has been taken.

Best thing on it is to implement features new to 0.74/SVN, which are not seen in Reloaded, seen on its age.

Klimawandel.

Reply 2248 of 2280, by sleepybear360

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IIGS_User wrote on 2021-04-03, 16:39:
Better to leave this point out. […]
Show full quote

[*] On-demand games (yes, you will be able to browse, download and auto-install abandonware games directly within the application!)

On pg. 112, I was just joking about the new name, but nice to see this idea has been taken.

Best thing on it is to implement features new to 0.74/SVN, which are not seen in Reloaded, seen on its age.

Thanks for the heads up!

Reply 2250 of 2280, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sleepybear360 wrote on 2021-04-03, 16:46:
IIGS_User wrote on 2021-04-03, 16:39:
Better to leave this point out. […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the heads up!

IIGS_User wrote on 2021-04-04, 19:29:

Because moderators doesn't like to see abandonware supported, and this must be for a good reason, for legality.

Agreed, we wouldn't let a utility, that automatically downloads software for which the copyright owner never granted redistribution rights to the general public, have an advertising/support thread on VOGONS.org.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2251 of 2280, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where in DFend's conf/prof files will I find the mount information for a particular game?

Closest I find is, for example:

0=.\VirtualHD\;Drive;C;false;
2=C:\DOSGames\SWOTL\;Drive;D;false;
Environment=PATH[61]Z:\[13][10]

which is gibberish to me.

Reply 2252 of 2280, by Dagar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jgf wrote on 2021-05-06, 21:16:
Where in DFend's conf/prof files will I find the mount information for a particular game? […]
Show full quote

Where in DFend's conf/prof files will I find the mount information for a particular game?

Closest I find is, for example:

0=.\VirtualHD\;Drive;C;false;
2=C:\DOSGames\SWOTL\;Drive;D;false;
Environment=PATH[61]Z:\[13][10]

which is gibberish to me.

In D-Fend Reloaded's .prof file for the game it's under the [Extra] section of the file.
You can also see the DOSBOX conf file by right-clicking the game and selecting "View DOSBOX conf file"

Reply 2253 of 2280, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks.

The [Extra] section is where I found the "gibberish".

But in the conf I did find:

SET PATH=Z:\
keyb US 437
mount C "C:\DOSGames\D-FEND~1\VIRTUA~1\"
mount D "C:\DOSGames\SWOTL\"
echo.
D:
cd\
Z:\config.com -securemode > nul
call SW.BAT

I want to run a TSR with the game, its cfg file needs the path to the game and apparently isn't recognizing C:\DOSGames\SWOTL, so was trying to find what other path may be pertinent. (I have this working in a pure DOSBox (no DFend, d/l'd a preconfigured DOSBox) but was told it was mounted incorrectly, plus I like having DFend's menu for starting games.)

Reply 2254 of 2280, by Furztherapeut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would love to see a new version of D-Fend. I still use D-Fend Reloaded even though it's abandoned software and doesn't support more modern forks like Dosbox-X. I have never really bothered with DBGL as it's dependent on Java.

Reply 2255 of 2280, by eddiecochran

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, D-Fend Renewed (thanks for the name by the way) has been born on 4-3-2021 and is ready to live, provided you want it too! What I am doing now is preparing to recreate and fix a lot of the issues in D-Fend Reloaded is a new iteration of the application called D-Fend Renewed, and it needs your support to live. What do I mean by support? Well, simply put, there has to be an interest in the project before I decide to continue it, after all, it doesn't make sense to spend hundreds of man-hours on an application if nobody will use it. So consider this post to be a probe if you will so I can tell if there is still a need in 2021 for this once beautiful piece of software.

I'd really love to see a resurrection of D-Fend Reloaded. I always loved the tons of options and features.

As mentioned earlier, it desperately needs to support the new features of the latest DOSBox forks DOSBox-X and DOSBox ECE.

I also like the idea of the on-demand games feature. Don't forget you alone are responsible for you program. If they don't like you here - their loss. There is still a GitHub support forum or whatever.

E.C.

Reply 2256 of 2280, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Motherboard - ASUS
Processor type and speed - Intel i5 6400 2.70 GHz
Amount and type of RAM 8GB
Video board w/ RAM amount and type Nvidia GeForce gtx 970
Sound board realtek
Operating system windows 10
Game name (and version, if applicable)
Description of problem (be detailed: saying "it's jerky" doesn't help, saying "the player sprites seem to be jerky when I'm pressing any of the arrow keys" does) Wierd but harmless error message pop up when importing or loading conf
Reproducibility of problem (always, only once, always but only on a specific level, etc.) always
Sound mode used soundblaster tandy disney sounds source
Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution) opengl
Version of emulator (for VDMSound, probably 2.0.4 or 2.1.0; for DOSBox, 0.58+) D-fend reloaded
Steps already attempted to solve the problem (please say you've read the README if you haven't, and READ IT IF YOU HAVEN'T!) Attempted to load it outside of D-fend reloaded by command line and it works without error.

Attachments

• Untitled4.png
    Filename
    Untitled4.png
    File size
    6.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I am I

Reply 2257 of 2280, by Alexis78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I was using D-Fend Reloaded for many years, but unfortunatelly isn´t updated anymore, so I am trying DBGL. Now I want to use all my games configurartions that I did on D-Fend to DBGL, I suppose there is a way to do that but I don´t Know how. It will be very painful to start over again, config all the games one by one, oh my god. I did It before with D-Fend, How Ican I "migrate" all the configs and the game folders? Sorry for my bad english, any help will be appreciated.

Reply 2258 of 2280, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From the DBGL thread:

1. First step is to generate .conf files from your D-Fend Reloaded profiles using D-Fend Reloaded in Windows: simply select File -> Export -> Create conf files;
  2. After these files have been generated, start DBGL and choose Profiles -> Import D-Fend (Reloaded) Profiles. Select your D-Fend Reloaded directory, and the folder into which you just saved the .conf files;
  3. Finish the wizard.

After these steps, if you were using relative paths in DFR, you will have to move your games folders into DBGL's DOSROOT folder. Just let me know if you need more help.

Reply 2259 of 2280, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Greetings Users! […]
Show full quote

Greetings Users!

I am a first-time poster here on Vogons and I loved D-Fend Reloaded. However, with that being said, it does seem like it has passed the end of its life-cycle and it might be time to move on to new pastures. This morning I decided to put my thinking cap on and start recreating this piece of computing history.

Enter D-Fend Renewed

Planned Features

• A proper website
  • A brand new plugin system
  • A more intelligent way of adding new games
  • Upload/download installed games right to the cloud

These are just a few of the planned features that I would implement into D-Fend Renewed should the demand be great enough and we decide to create said application and distribute it. If there is not enough interest regarding D-Fend Renewed then it just like D-Fend Reloaded will just be a memory that lives warm in our hearts.

Cheers!

Holy shit yes; I can't believe I missed this earlier in the year. I really hope to see someone continue on with DFR as it's my favorite launcher. Have there been any releases for Renewed at this point? Is there a website yet?